• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Idaho State - where to stay?

SteviGriz

For those who are heading down to Pocatello for the Idaho State game, where are you staying? Important factors - nearby bars/restaurants (on-site a bonus) and other Griz fans to celebrate with! Thanks in advance.

I know this will come across sounding like smack, but for a college town, Pokey is very limited in good hotels and restaurants. And the bars are shockingly bad for a college town. They have all the chain hotels, of course, but none are really centrally located near campus or downtown.

Restaurant and bar choices are even worse, as I've yet to find an excellent place to eat. Mostly, you're stuck with chain places there too. Fortunately, two new breweries (Jim Dandy and Off The Rails) have opened up in the last couple of years, because I've never been impressed with Portneuf Brewing.

SteviGriz said:
For those who are heading down to Pocatello for the Idaho State game, where are you staying? Important factors - nearby bars/restaurants (on-site a bonus) and other Griz fans to celebrate with! Thanks in advance.
We drive up Saturday morning (5 hr) in time for some tailgate and stay Saturday night at the Quality Inn, nothing special, but convenient and decent. It's just across Bench from the Sandpiper restaurant, which we've always found to be good for dinner. Pokey is an LDS town and not known for its action scene. The Griz will provide the weekend's action.

The best restaurant/bar next to campus is Buddy’s, an Italian place that has been around for 50 years. It’s about two blocks from campus. Famous for their salad dressing— but warning, you will reek of garlic for a couple of days after. 😀

Best breakfast spot near campus is the Fifth Street Bagelry. They make schmears and bagel breakfast and lunch sandwiches that are great. I’ve had bagels in New York and all over the world and I’ll put their bagels up against any I’ve ever had.

The only real sports bar in town is the Press Box on Yellowstone. It’s about five miles from campus. Also on Yellowstone is Butterburs Restaurant, a family owned place that has awesome homemade soups, breads and pies. Abracadabra on Yellowstone also has great breakfast (their Captain Crunch encrusted French toast us my fav), but they recently had a fire and I don’t know if they’ll be reopened by the time you guys come.

If you’re looking for a place to stay, there are four hotels located just off Center Street, less than a mile from the Dome, all of them built in the last 10 years or less: Hampton Inn and Suites, Holiday Inn Express, Town Suites by Marriott and Home 2 Suites, which just opened last year. Jakers, a high-end restaurant, and Cafe Tuscano, a very nice locally-owned Italian place, are both within walking distance of these hotels.

You’ll see the completion of the first phase of the Holt Arena renovation— new seating on the North Side and new turf. Unfortunately as visitors you’ll probably still be sitting in the old seats on the South Side. They will be ripped out and replaced after the season. They are also installing translucent windows on the North Side to allow more light and covering the ugly yellow insulation on the ceiling with a white cover and ISU logos in time for next season.

Hope you all have a good visit to Pocatello. We always look forward to having Montana, MSU, Idaho and Weber visit, they are the four schools in the conference whose fans travel.

kemajic said:
"Pokey is an LDS town and not known for its action scene. The Griz will provide the weekend's action."

That says it all. Lived there a long time. Maybe you can find a post-game 'Book of Mormon' discussion group at whatever Motel you stay in. Bring your booze with you, its more convenient than trying to find a liquor store 'near-by.'

We got a room at the Home 2 suites, hopefully there's a bar there😜. Got a recommendation to go to Goody's sandwich shop as well ..apparently local place with good food.

Bengal visitor said:
The best restaurant/bar next to campus is Buddy’s, an Italian place that has been around for 50 years. It’s about two blocks from campus. Famous for their salad dressing— but warning, you will reek of garlic for a couple of days after. 😀

Best breakfast spot near campus is the Fifth Street Bagelry. They make schmears and bagel breakfast and lunch sandwiches that are great. I’ve had bagels in New York and all over the world and I’ll put their bagels up against any I’ve ever had.

The only real sports bar in town is the Press Box on Yellowstone. It’s about five miles from campus. Also on Yellowstone is Butterburs Restaurant, a family owned place that has awesome homemade soups, breads and pies. Abracadabra on Yellowstone also has great breakfast (their Captain Crunch encrusted French toast us my fav), but they recently had a fire and I don’t know if they’ll be reopened by the time you guys come.

If you’re looking for a place to stay, there are four hotels located just off Center Street, less than a mile from the Dome, all of them built in the last 10 years or less: Hampton Inn and Suites, Holiday Inn Express, Town Suites by Marriott and Home 2 Suites, which just opened last year. Jakers, a high-end restaurant, and Cafe Tuscano, a very nice locally-owned Italian place, are both within walking distance of these hotels.

You’ll see the completion of the first phase of the Holt Arena renovation— new seating on the North Side and new turf. Unfortunately as visitors you’ll probably still be sitting in the old seats on the South Side. They will be ripped out and replaced after the season. They are also installing translucent windows on the North Side to allow more light and covering the ugly yellow insulation on the ceiling with a white cover and ISU logos in time for next season.

Hope you all have a good visit to Pocatello. We always look forward to having Montana, MSU, Idaho and Weber visit, they are the four schools in the conference whose fans travel.

I think it says it all when you lead off your recommendations with a killer salad dressing and bagels.

(But seriously, thank you for the effort. I'm sure pokey is great!)

So I’ve eaten in Buddy’s a fair number of times (desperation) and it’s fair to good. They are really proud of their salad dressing, to the point they saturate your salad with it. To me, it’s no better than any you’d get at a decent steak house or Italian restaurant. You can pretty much eat their salad endlessly, which I think may be to get you full before the mediocre entry arrives after 45 mins of waiting.

I can’t speak to the bagels. Because, well, bagels. Jakers is a small, local chain, and is far from high end. Although I’ve eaten there a number of times also (desperation) and you could do worse somewhere I’m sure. The lobster bisque at Jakers salad bar is surprisingly good.

Bar scene is nonexistent.

Bengal visitor said:
You’ll see the completion of the first phase of the Holt Arena renovation— new seating on the North Side and new turf. Unfortunately as visitors you’ll probably still be sitting in the old seats on the South Side. They will be ripped out and replaced after the season. They are also installing translucent windows on the North Side to allow more light and covering the ugly yellow insulation on the ceiling with a white cover and ISU logos intime for next season.
Even before the renovation of the south side, you wanted to stay away from it. Tickets through UM or exposed as a UM fan puts you there and they cram Griz fans into a corner with a shitty view of the field. And they run a Gestapo to patrol should any Griz gear appear elsewhere in the hardly populated seating. I have relatives there that are UM alums and we get good seats on the North side and no Gestapo. Without relatives you should be able to disguise your roots in ordering tickets directly from ISU.

EverettGriz said:
So I’ve eaten in Buddy’s a fair number of times (desperation) and it’s fair to good. They are really proud of their salad dressing, to the point they saturate your salad with it. To me, it’s no better than any you’d get at a decent steak house or Italian restaurant. You can pretty much eat their salad endlessly, which I think may be to get you full before the mediocre entry arrives after 45 mins of waiting.

I can’t speak to the bagels. Because, well, bagels. Jakers is a small, local chain, and is far from high end. Although I’ve eaten there a number of times also (desperation) and you could do worse somewhere I’m sure. The lobster bisque at Jakers salad bar is surprisingly good.

I didn't want to come across as an ass but I'd be lying if I said I didn't laugh out loud when I heard Jakers referenced as a "high-end restaurant". ;)

ilovethecats said:
EverettGriz said:

I didn't want to come across as an ass but I'd be lying if I said I didn't laugh out loud when I heard Jakers referenced as a "high-end restaurant". ;)

Technically for Pokey, it is, I guess. But that statement drew a little chuckle from me as well.

ilovethecats said:
EverettGriz said:

I held back on that one, too. :D

Back