• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Mornhinweg is terrific announcer

mthoopsfan said:
Very knowledgeable and insightful.

He obviously knows his stuff, but he wasn't born with an announcer's voice. And he NEVER shuts up! Agree with those who last week compared him to Bill Walton.

He seems to me to be trying too hard. He just needs to relax and talk normal. His voice is a bit gravely though.

But name another color commentator or PBP guy or gal who described being inbounds on a catch via ā€œbutt cheeks?ā€ Kohn had a weeks to look over the roster and still messed up O&D numbers.

daGrizJ said:
He seems to me to be trying too hard. He just needs to relax and talk normal. His voice is a bit gravely though.

Agreedā€¦he is trying too hard. Bring it down a couple clicks from 11!

I friggin love him. Loved that bit about being the only team to beat the championship ISU team.

Also love how he refers to The Griz as ā€œwe.ā€ I heard him say it a couple times last week and again this week (e.g., ā€œWe had a great blitz called on that play.ā€). Donā€™t think he can help himself.

Hopefully he does cat/Griz. Bubs will have a meltdown.

I thought he was excellent and one reason he had to talk so much is Kohn is a rookie play by play guy to say the least. And unlike some in here, he was able to call out bad things done my UM and still be in their corner. Biased toward UM, yes, but could still compliment ISU and criticize UM.

maroonandsilver said:
mthoopsfan said:

He obviously knows his stuff, but he wasn't born with an announcer's voice. And he NEVER shuts up! Agree with those who last week compared him to Bill Walton.

This

And Kohn needs to study his rosters more.

I would much rather listen to Marty than most of the B team ESPN color guys. He's entertaining and informative and doesn't mispronounce our guys' names. That's more than I can say for a lot of those other guys.

Does he bumble around a bit? Yes. Is he a bit much at times? Yes. Will he get better? Oh hell yes! Heā€™s a rookie. Give him a little time. Heā€™s going to be great. He funny, insightful, and a character. We need more characters! Go Marty!

Do we really need to listen to a sideline reporter fumble around while the game is on?

I gave him a hard time last week, but..he's definitely growing on me. I got a kick out of him today. I agree with the above poster who said he was better than any of the ESPN B team announcers. I hope he calls Griz/Scat this year!

Go Griz!

Marty will look at the film, make some corrections, and clean it up for next time. Thought he had a great performance today. I lost it when he mentioned that Grossman got his ā€œbuttcheekā€ down to make the catch šŸ¤£

maroonandsilver said:
mthoopsfan said:

He doesn't talk too much. You need to listen better. My god, what's wrong with you.

Back