• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Post Game: Weird stuff once again at the Holt Arena

BWahlberg

DONOR
From the 30,000 foot view Montana is 5-0, 2-0 in conference, and headed into their bye week right where they were expected to be at this point. At no real point in this game did it feel like ISU was going to win it either. Montana's ground game finally got moving like we hoped it would. And save what is hopefully just an ankle sprain to Brown, they got out of the dome with minimal injuries.

Obviously there's plenty of hand wringing to do, the game wasn't pretty. The Griz were sloppy with the ball and made more errors (especially on ST) that didn't allow them to slam the door shut on ISU who kept fighting the whole day. Passes were just a little too off target, the run blocking broke down just a few times too many, and the defense was once again attacked with the formula that appears to be the answer to moving the ball on us - albeit infrequently.

The bye week is coming at a good time, this game suggested to me that a slight break might be just the thing for this team. So yes, once again a bunch of weird stuff went down at Holt, but this can't be attributed to a crappy old dome, it was an oddly high compounding amount of execution errors. I have confidence it'll be ironed out - because if it isn't.... the 2nd half of the regular season could be brutal.

Some other observations:

- Alex Gubner might be having one of the best seasons we've seen from a Griz DT since Alan Saenz's senior season. He's tallying up tackles and sacks (1.5 sacks today). He's blowing up the LOS and playing as disruptive as I've ever seen from him. Let's see if he can keep it going when the level of competition really steps up.

- Once again we saw the stud WR get in the slot and attack our safeties. After the Cotton ejection Guillory made some easy work of his coverage... for a while. I saw a Rainey tweet that suggested he had about 65 yards on the safeties. Then, Montana countered that move and had Justin Ford shadow him a lot. He finished with only 25(ish) more yards after that. I will say, I was impressed with Guillory, I have no clue how a kid with his talents lands at a dump like ISU.

- Marcus Knight finally had the game we were waiting for this season. 109 rushing yards and 1 TD. He had a big burst on a near 50 yard run and looked much more decisive hitting the hole. It was great to see him back. Just 14 touches too, lets see if that continues to increase. I thought Ostmo had a great day too with 84 total rushing yards.

- Not the best day in the office for Lucas Johnson. A nice rushing TD and then a good read on a TD pass where ISU's coverage busted. But then a pick on the ISU side of the field on the first drive and then a fumble at the 2 yard line that turned into a touchback... a play that ended his day as Bobby benched him. Johnson wasn't the most accurate either today. It was all odd to see from a guy that so far we'd seen be fairly consistent, accurate, and somewhat error free. I noticed that ISU started blitzing the hell out of him and that would lead to some bad passes. Teams will test him going forward. It could be on tape now that heavy pressure an create issues for the passing game.

- I'm not sure what TraJon Cotton was supposed to do as the WR was getting pulled down. He did hit him in the head with his arm, was previously lining up for a body hit or a hit on the ball. Tough call there.

- Incredible TD catch by Cole Grossman, he was well covered and hauled it in. Crazy to think that TD wound up being the difference in the game.

- Kale Edwards I'm just going to bet is going to be fair catching anything that comes his way on kickoffs. Defensively he had a great sack and another TFL, he played well there from what I saw on TV.

- Adding to the funky-ness of the day, ISU puts the ball on the turf twice - once it goes right out of bounds on a kickoff, another it comes right back into the hands of an ISU player. That's the way it goes sometimes though.

- I'm seeing O'Connell has 0.5 sacks and 1 forced fumble on his stat list. I feel like he had multiple sacks, didn't he? There was one where he pushed the ISU QB out of bounds for a 3 or 4 yard loss on a pass play.

- ISU's game plan of quick passes worked for a while. Once Montana took away those quicker routes it led to less success on offense for them. They did get a TD on a heavy blitz in the 4th and then whatever the heck ISU's last TD drive was...

- I have no clue what ISU was thinking with their two onside kicks... or squibs... or whatever.

-----

I think this team will build off of this "ugly" win. Having the bye week there can be some work on breakdowns that occurred and I'm sure they'll be firing much better in 2 weeks when Idaho comes to town. The Griz are still undefeated and right where they want to be! Hopefully they get a bit of rest - because from here on out, it's almost entirely all going to be far tougher games than they've had so far.

Go Griz!

Here is my take, I've been saying this for years. When the Griz are on top of the Conference and are dominating, we get to conference play and we get everybodys best shot. Every week the conference opponents give us hell. This helps us come playoffs because we are battle tested and ready by the conference foes leveling up their play. Sometimes those wins aren't pretty but we have to be able to take everyones best shot and still win. We did that today, ISU played inspired, didn't beat themselves. They were well coached and played hard all 4 quarters. They gave us their best shot and we still beat them while not playing well at all today. Championship teams have to win a couple games here or there despite playing bad.

I will say this...and I agree with what Marty said on the telecast...a dome will royally screw up your vision, especially a QB and punt returners that are not used to a dome.
As Marty stated it takes a while to get used to it since your depth perception is off in a dome compared to outdoors.

The dome vision question seems to be yet another argument for an indoor practice field. When is it gonna be finished???

fltheadgriz said:
I will say this...and I agree with what Marty said on the telecast...a dome will royally screw up your vision, especially a QB and punt returners that are not used to a dome.
As Marty stated it takes a while to get used to it since your depth perception is off in a dome compared to outdoors.

Well then the Griz better get that figured out...Griz path to Frisco may go thru Fargo.

Also...never, ever heard this regarding NFL teams....never. They rotate from indoors to outdoors to indoors all the time.

Lame excuse IMO.

SoldierGriz said:
fltheadgriz said:

Well then the Griz better get that figured out...Griz path to Frisco may go thru Fargo.

Also...never, ever heard this regarding NFL teams....never. They rotate from indoors to outdoors to indoors all the time.

Lame excuse IMO.

Agree. Lame excuse for sure. I think it has to do with several factors. Have to say ISU coaching staff did a great job preparing. There was a clear lack of focus by the Griz and playing on the road matters. Washington Grizzly is a special place and it is a lot easier to get up for a game and to feed off the crowd. I believe this will help pull some heads out of dark places. Probably just what the team needed right now. Maybe just got a little complacent.

fltheadgriz said:
Holt is an indoor facility, but it is hardly a dome. NAU has a dome.

kemajic said:
fltheadgriz said:

It's a Quonset Hut!

A1B3851B-0505-BB4C-45BDCBC12A4F947B.jpg

Might be a lame excuse...BUT remember that most NFL teams have indoor practice facilities.
They get used to the depth perception issue.

kemajic said:
fltheadgriz said:

Irrelevant to his point.

Copper Griz said:
SoldierGriz said:

Lame excuse IMO.

Agree. Lame excuse for sure. I think it has to do with several factors. Have to say ISU coaching staff did a great job preparing. There was a clear lack of focus by the Griz and playing on the road matters. Washington Grizzly is a special place and it is a lot easier to get up for a game and to feed off the crowd. I believe this will help pull some heads out of dark places. Probably just what the team needed right now. Maybe just got a little complacent.

I have not been to Holt arena. However from broadcasts it appears the ceiling is dark. I would think locating the ball might take a bit to get used to. This would only impact some plays. I think the Griz had a let down game and learned some things. When this season is over, we might look back to this ugly win as the catalyst for whatever success occurs.

PDXGrizzly said:
The dome vision question seems to be yet another argument for an indoor practice field. When is it gonna be finished???

After delays, I think construction starts in March, with expected completion in October. Something like that.

Holt is old, but is being renovated. I never thought it was as bad of a place to watch a game as some of you did.

fltheadgriz said:
Might be a lame excuse...BUT remember that most NFL teams have indoor practice facilities.
They get used to the depth perception issue.

Then they must really struggle to adjust when they go outside to play.

24GRIZ said:
Copper Griz said:

I have not been to Holt arena. However from broadcasts it appears the ceiling is dark. I would think locating the ball might take a bit to get used to. This would only impact some plays. I think the Griz had a let down game and learned some things. When this season is over, we might look back to this ugly win as the catalyst for whatever success occurs.
Yesterday was my first time at Holt, and I thought it was terrible. As you walk in through the concourse and into the stadium, it felt like you were walking into a really old Basketball gym, it kind of reminded me of the Brick in Blowsman. Plus me and family who were all at the game commented multiple times about how dark and dreary it was. I can see why ISU struggles to recruit, cause I wouldn’t wanna play there. They could greatly benefit from a new stadium, even though it’ll probably never happen. Now none of this is an excuse for the poor performance yesterday, but the sights and vantage points were definitely weird IMO.

grizfan406 said:
Here is my take, I've been saying this for years. When the Griz are on top of the Conference and are dominating, we get to conference play and we get everybodys best shot. Every week the conference opponents give us hell. This helps us come playoffs because we are battle tested and ready by the conference foes leveling up their play. Sometimes those wins aren't pretty but we have to be able to take everyones best shot and still win. We did that today, ISU played inspired, didn't beat themselves. They were well coached and played hard all 4 quarters. They gave us their best shot and we still beat them while not playing well at all today. Championship teams have to win a couple games here or there despite playing bad.

i generally agree with what you are saying, but i don't think the griz have been dominant for long enough yet, after several years of (relative) decline. it has been how long since they won the conference? i am pretty sure the last one was 2011, and i think it was later vacated for some (lame) reason.

argh! said:
grizfan406 said:

i generally agree with what you are saying, but i don't think the griz have been dominant for long enough yet, after several years of (relative) decline. it has been how long since they won the conference? i am pretty sure the last one was 2011, and i think it was later vacated for some (lame) reason.

The level of play in the conference has increased significantly since Hauck's first tenure. There aren't many gimmie games anymore.

Griz til I die said:
24GRIZ said:
Yesterday was my first time at Holt, and I thought it was terrible. As you walk in through the concourse and into the stadium, it felt like you were walking into a really old Basketball gym, it kind of reminded me of the Brick in Blowsman. Plus me and family who were all at the game commented multiple times about how dark and dreary it was. I can see why ISU struggles to recruit, cause I wouldn’t wanna play there. They could greatly benefit from a new stadium, even though it’ll probably never happen. Now none of this is an excuse for the poor performance yesterday, but the sights and vantage points were definitely weird IMO.

My first time there yesterday as well. I also thought it seemed pretty dark. Strange place. $7 beers.

Back