• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

2020 Griz Soccer: whole squad comes back plus 6 freshmen

mikegriz25

2019 undefeated Big Sky Champions with no seniors on the squad. From the looks of it the whole squad is returning and they added 6 more newbies to the mix.

https://gogriz.com/news/2019/11/13/soccer-program-adds-six.aspx

Josie Windauer from Columbia Falls, MT. All-State, school record 80+ goals over her HS career and an all out amazing athlete. :clap: That's three Montana kids on the roster in 2020.

Meredith Udovich from Puyallup, WA. Will be playing in the High School All-American game in December. :clap:

Alejandra Melendez from Oakland, CA. Seems to be some sort of social media instagram celebrity from what I hear. Travelled to the last soccer world cup with Coca Cola, has been invited to camps overseas.

Camellia Xu from BC Canada. Plays at the top club in Canada whose main purpose is to develop players for the national team there. If you were worried about Griz Soccer losing Claire Howard after 2020 then you no longer need to be. Amazing goalkeeper.

Elizabeth Basile from Renton, WA. Same club as Udovich. Coming off of an ACL and should be good to go. Sounds like she's the classic blue collar kid Citowicki likes to fill the team with.

Reese Elliott from Blacklick, OH. Currently trains and lives at IMG academy in Florida. Doesn't get much bigger than that when it comes to sport training environments. Looking at their commitments they have players going Florida, UCLA and all the other big power 5 programs. Not sure how we got this one but its great!

Almost undefeated...but yes, Coach C has these girls and this squad trending in the right direction despite one unfortunate hiccup. It’s unfortunate that you win the regular season title and have to go on the road for the con tourney.

Looks like another Montana star commits to the Griz!

According to @thenachonsports Skyleigh Thompson is joining the squad in 21.

https://twitter.com/thenachonsports

:thumb:

mikegriz25 said:
2019 undefeated Big Sky Champions with no seniors on the squad. From the looks of it the whole squad is returning and they added 6 more newbies to the mix.

https://gogriz.com/news/2019/11/13/soccer-program-adds-six.aspx

Josie Windauer from Columbia Falls, MT. All-State, school record 80+ goals over her HS career and an all out amazing athlete. :clap: That's three Montana kids on the roster in 2020.

Meredith Udovich from Puyallup, WA. Will be playing in the High School All-American game in December. :clap:

Alejandra Melendez from Oakland, CA. Seems to be some sort of social media instagram celebrity from what I hear. Travelled to the last soccer world cup with Coca Cola, has been invited to camps overseas.

Camellia Xu from BC Canada. Plays at the top club in Canada whose main purpose is to develop players for the national team there. If you were worried about Griz Soccer losing Claire Howard after 2020 then you no longer need to be. Amazing goalkeeper.

Elizabeth Basile from Renton, WA. Same club as Udovich. Coming off of an ACL and should be good to go. Sounds like she's the classic blue collar kid Citowicki likes to fill the team with.

Reese Elliott from Blacklick, OH. Currently trains and lives at IMG academy in Florida. Doesn't get much bigger than that when it comes to sport training environments. Looking at their commitments they have players going Florida, UCLA and all the other big power 5 programs. Not sure how we got this one but its great!

Not saying you're wrong, mikegriz25, but there seem to be some number disparities. I have some questions.

I DO know this: An NCAA D1 soccer team can distribute 14 full scholarships, which can be split into half scholarships. That means that up to 28 players can receive a partial scholarship. I also know that the average D1 roster usually has 28 athletes. I do not know if there is a 28-athlete limit for D1 rosters.

I counted 27 players on the 2019 team photo at GoGriz. However, the roster below the team photo currently lists 25 players (I didn't check to see whose name is no longer on the roster). If there is a 28-player roster limitation, I'm wondering if three more names will be trimmed, or if it's possible for a D1 team to have more players on roster, assuming that they will not receive a scholarship. I'm not trying to be nit-picky here... just wondering. I DO know it's accepted practice to allow a new coach to make roster adjustments over their first three seasons.

Back