• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Griz Softball wins Season Opener

grizzlyjournal

Nice way to start the season. Kristin Achenbach spins a complete-game win with 9 strikeouts and Brooklyn Weisgram's RBI double in the bottom of the 6th that scores pr Jaxie Klucewich gives the Griz a 3-2 lead. Morgan Johnson starts the season out with her first homer of the season. Too early to make conclusions, but Kendal Curtis played at 2B while Julie Phelps anchored right field. Congrats to coach Meuchel & the Griz for a great way to start the 2020 season.

[media]https://twitter.com/quartzglen/status/1225836443676725248[/media]

Griz beat LaTech in 10 innings in the second game. Achenbach comes in a gets the win. Winning both games. (by the way, GJ, it's Tristin, not Kristin.)

maroonandsilver said:
Griz beat LaTech in 10 innings in the second game. Achenbach comes in a gets the win. Winning both games. (by the way, GJ, it's Tristin, not Kristin.)

Apologies for the typo! I know her name is Tristin, but it was carelessness on my part. :oops:

Looks like Michaela Hood pitched an outstanding 6.1 innings for Montana before giving up a game-tying 2-run homer in the bottom of the 7th to La Tech. Achenbach pitched 2.2 innings in relief. Congrats to Montana SB on its outstanding start to the 2020 season.
[media]https://twitter.com/quartzglen/status/1225919554708049922[/media]
[media]https://twitter.com/MontanaGrizSB/status/1225918894172295169[/media]

Huge win, maybe the biggest on our teams history. A true road game against a team that finished 43 in the RPI rankings last year. They are usually in thd national tourney. This has got to be a huge confidence boost to our team. Michaela looked very strong except that she may have been left in a little too long. Great opening day and Go Griz!

Games 3 and 4 tomorrow are at 8:30am against Alabama A&M and Jackson St at 11am. These are two very winnable games and we could be facing nationally ranked Texas Tech on sun with a 4-0 record. Go Griz!

Griz dispatch Jackson State 9-1 in an 8-run five inning game. Hard to tell (without watching) the level of the competition, but Montana's 5 homers give a bit of a hint. Maygen McGrath hit a 3-run shot in the first, leading to an early 4-0 Montana lead. Cami Sellers homered in the second, Jessica McAlister hit solo shots in the 3rd & 5th innings, while Brooklyn Weisgram hit one in the top of the 5th.

Michaela Hood gets a complete game win, allowing only two hits, both in the bottom of the fourth. She struck out seven and allowed only two walks.

Montana faces Alabama A&M at 11 a.m. Go Griz.

What a start for the Griz! That Central Ark team competed very well with an LSU team who is highly ranked in the nation. Keep it going Griz!

Ashley didn't make it through the bottom of the 2nd, giving up three runs on two walks & three hits. Achenbach is on in relief. Top of the 3rd, Griz down 3-0.

Maygen McGrath's 2-run homer in the top of the 4th got the Griz within one. After Tristin Achenbach struck out the side in the bottom of the frame, Montana took the lead behind an rbi double from Cami Sellers and a 2-run homer to right center by Morgan Johnson. Griz lead 5-3 going into the top of the sixth.

I'm picking up on some aggressive base-running by Montana in this first tourney. It could be the competition, but it's nice to see runners advancing on hits and several (I think four) stolen bases already in this tourney.

Griz unleashing their power. Four rbi by McGrath (2 homers) and Johnson (one homer) and Montana now leads AA&I 12-3.

8 homers in 2 games? Not too shabby. The SWAC schools are very poor though. Usually in the bottom 250-300 in rpi rankings. But wins are wins and always a confidence booster. Michaela and Tristan are looking like the best 1-2 combo in the league and our lineup is deadly powerful with more and more speed. Gonna be a good year and Go Griz!

Disappointed that Montana's game vs Texas Tech is not streaming this morning... despite the Big Easy promo saying all Sunday games would be streamed.

So, Montana with Tristin Achenbach on the mound, is locked in a scoreless duel with Texas Tech going into the bottom of the 4th (Griz are the home squad). Three baserunners total for both teams so far. Texas Tech was ranked 16th in the NCAA pre-season power poll.

Bottom of the 5th, Montana takes a 1-0 lead behind Brooklyn Weisgram's solo shot to left-center.

[media]https://twitter.com/quartzglen/status/1226551757263663104[/media]

Griz are tied 1-1 with Texas Tech going into the bottom of the ninth.

By my personal standards, Tristin Achenbach has already pitched an incredible gem (with infield support). This is definitely a great way for a still pretty young Montana softball team, behind at least one legit D1 ace, to start the 2020 season. Go Griz.

Griz lose 2-1 in extra innings to Texas Tech. I don't/won't celebrate losses, but don't really feel bad about this loss. Wish it had been streamed, though.

I DO have incredible respect for how this young team battled against a ranked major team. They almost did it today... looking forward to seeing them give it another shot soon. Go Griz.

grizzlyjournal said:
Griz lose 2-1 in extra innings to Texas Tech. I don't/won't celebrate losses, but don't really feel bad about this loss. Wish it had been streamed, though.

I DO have incredible respect for how this young team battled against a ranked major team. They almost did it today... looking forward to seeing them give it another shot soon. Go Griz.

Huge opening weekend for the Griz. Next weekend should be a good one too.

Back