• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Softball ‘22

alabamagrizzly

Season starts today. Let’s hope the offense picks up where it left off last year and the pitching improves with another year of experience and a couple new additions. Go Griz!

maroonandsilver said:
Griz Softball wins their season's first game 3-0 over SJSU. Brock pitches the shutout!

Very good start. SJS was a good team to get that first game against. Probably the weakest team they’ll see this weekend. The UC Davis game on Sat which will be on ESPN+ will be a good indicator of where we’re at.

Tuff loss in the 2nd game. 0-0 going into the 8th and lost 1-2. Sticks were mostly absent today which is a little worrisome since they were our strong point last year and we returned almost all of our offensive production. Lotta season left though. Go Griz!!

alabamagrizzly said:
Tuff loss in the 2nd game. 0-0 going into the 8th and lost 1-2. Sticks were mostly absent today which is a little worrisome since they were our strong point last year and we returned almost all of our offensive production. Lotta season left though. Go Griz!!

Gotta love that Freshman Dana Butterfield pitched the first 7 innings scoreless. Pitching is my biggest worry for this team, and Dana and Allie both had strong outings today.

maroonandsilver said:
alabamagrizzly said:

Gotta love that Freshman Dana Butterfield pitched the first 7 innings scoreless. Pitching is my biggest worry for this team, and Dana and Allie both had strong outings today.

Definitely, it’s really good to see Allie pitching with success after her struggles last year as a Fr with very high expectations. Dana has those same expectations considering how dominant both of them were in high school. We still have yet to see our PAC 12 transfer pitch too. If the pitching can regain its dominance we knew in the past with Hood/Driscoll/Achenbach, then our bats will catch up and this could be a very fun exciting season for the ladies.

I guess game 2 against St Mary’s this morning got canceled or rescheduled. There’s no stat feed or Twitter updates. UC Davis this afternoon at 3pm mst/4pm my time on ESPN+. Go Griz!

alabamagrizzly said:
I guess game 2 against St Mary’s this morning got canceled or rescheduled. There’s no stat feed or Twitter updates. UC Davis this afternoon at 3pm mst/4pm my time on ESPN+. Go Griz!

Griz win the St. Mary's game today 11-2. Brock pitches 6 innings and Joseph finishes.

maroonandsilver said:
alabamagrizzly said:

Griz win the St. Mary's game today 11-2. Brock pitches 6 innings and Joseph finishes.

Looks like the bats woke up today too. Both Kendall Curtis and Jaxie Klucewich had 3 hit days. Looks like UC Davis must be dropping the ball on getting the information out. The current game is supposed to be on ESPN+ right now but even the stat cast is saying the game hasn’t started yet or no info has been sent yet. Bummer.

alabamagrizzly said:
maroonandsilver said:

Looks like the bats woke up today too. Both Kendall Curtis and Jaxie Klucewich had 3 hit days. Looks like UC Davis must be dropping the ball on getting the information out. The current game is supposed to be on ESPN+ right now but even the stat cast is saying the game hasn’t started yet or no info has been sent yet. Bummer.

Stat cast is up. 1-1 going into the bottom of the 4th with Davis at home. Butter field is pitching.

Griz beat Santa Clara this morning 2-1. Brock comes in to relieve Joseph and saves the day. 3 and 2 for the first games of the year against California teams that can practice outdoors is a great start to the season!

maroonandsilver said:
Griz beat Santa Clara this morning 2-1. Brock comes in to relieve Joseph and saves the day. 3 and 2 for the first games of the year against California teams that can practice outdoors is a great start to the season!

Most impressive is the sub 2.0 era. This team has usually gone where it’s pitching takes it and this is a great start to the season. Allie and Dana are gonna be two great ones for us and they needed this positive start to the season. With five position players being Sr’s, we’ve got a lot of experience in the field and at the plate. To get these young pitchers pitching with confidence could bring good things to the Griz down the road. I gotta admit I was more cautious then optimistic before this weekend but now that optimism is coming through. Go Griz!

alabamagrizzly said:
maroonandsilver said:

Most impressive is the sub 2.0 era. This team has usually gone where it’s pitching takes it and this is a great start to the season. Allie and Dana are gonna be two great ones for us and they needed this positive start to the season. With five position players being Sr’s, we’ve got a lot of experience in the field and at the plate. To get these young pitchers pitching with confidence could bring good things to the Griz down the road. I gotta admit I was more cautious then optimistic before this weekend but now that optimism is coming through. Go Griz!

:clap:

The record says Griz frosh Dana Butterfield is 0-2, but I watched her pitch the complete game 4-1 loss to Cal Davis and came away very impressed.
She doesn't have blazing speed, but she has outstanding control on the corners andat both corners on the bottom of the strike zone. I'm thinking she's going to be really loved by her defenders, because she does NOT waste time delivering pitches. In fact, Davis batters started calling time before they stepped into the box... and even then Dana's pitch was quickly on its way. Her four Ks were located on the outside corners. She pitched to lefties as efficiently as to righties. Davis put the ball into play quite a bit and the first two Davis runs were scored off of errors (Montana was only scored with one error, but I believe better defensive fielding could have prevented one of the runs.
In Dana's two games of the tourney, she gave up 11 hits and 1 tater, struck out 4 and 4, allowed 1 and 4 runs and had... one walk total. Good stuff.

Lastly... she shows no hesitance in delivery or where to pitch. As soon as McKenna gave the pitch sign, the ball was enroute. Still early, I know, but Dana looked mighty promising as a frosh pitching in her first-ever collegiate tourney. Go Griz.

Watched what I could of the first day of the Tracy Beard Classic @ North Texas, but the streaming quality, schedule and games shown was more miss than hit.

Montana went 0-2 on the day, with Allie Brock and the GrizWSB getting shut out 8-0 in 5 by North Texas. I got to watch this game. Brock struggled with control... just couldn't hit the corners, though she did hit two batters. Regardless, Griz batters put the ball in play, got 5 hits and loaded the bases in the fourth without getting a run, eventually stranding 6 runners. Maggie Joseph pitched the 5th, looked very nervous & walked two and threw two wild pitches without getting an out, I believe.

In game 2, another outstanding pitching outing from frosh from Dana Butterfield...regretably another one-run loss, 2-1 to Nevada. Livestream of this game was not available. Dana allowed 2 earned runs in the second, but settled down after that, allowing only 4 more runners for the rest of the game. And again, 0 walks allowed by the frosh pitcher. Montana had plenty of opportunities, leaving the bases loaded in the top of the 7th, and stranding 8 baserunners total. McGrath flew out to RF with bases loaded in the top of the 7th.

Montana played errorless defensive softball today, Dana was impressive once again, and Montana's batters are still adjusting to live play. I'm very encouraged by how well the two young starting pitchers are doing.

I'm hoping the streaming problems get fixed tomorrow.

grizzlyjournal said:
Watched what I could of the first day of the Tracy Beard Classic @ North Texas, but the streaming quality, schedule and games shown was more miss than hit.

Montana went 0-2 on the day, with Allie Brock and the GrizWSB getting shut out 8-0 in 5 by North Texas. I got to watch this game. Brock struggled with control... just couldn't hit the corners, though she did hit two batters. Regardless, Griz batters put the ball in play, got 5 hits and loaded the bases in the fourth without getting a run, eventually stranding 6 runners. Maggie Joseph pitched the 5th, looked very nervous & walked two and threw two wild pitches without getting an out, I believe.

In game 2, another outstanding pitching outing from frosh from Dana Butterfield...regretably another one-run loss, 2-1 to Nevada. Livestream of this game was not available. Dana allowed 2 earned runs in the second, but settled down after that, allowing only 4 more runners for the rest of the game. And again, 0 walks allowed by the frosh pitcher. Montana had plenty of opportunities, leaving the bases loaded in the top of the 7th, and stranding 8 baserunners total. McGrath flew out to RF with bases loaded in the top of the 7th.

Montana played errorless defensive softball today, Dana was impressive once again, and Montana's batters are still adjusting to live play. I'm very encouraged by how well the two young starting pitchers are doing.

I'm hoping the streaming problems get fixed tomorrow.

Thanks for the updates GJ. I’m really excited to see how well the pitching is doing this early against teams that have been able to practice outdoors in better conditions. Really hope the bats get going. These girls know they can do it cus they all did it last year. They’ll get it figured out.

Back