• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Griz Softball '22 -- Conference Preview

grizzlyjournal

There's been NO activity here on the eGriz Softball '22 forum since Mar. 6th so -- with Big Sky Conference play starting up this weekend -- I thought I'd give a few very general thoughts about Montana's prospects for league play.
I have seen every road streamed Griz game, and every home game live... but that does not necessarily make me an authority :lol: Disagree or chip in as you see fit.

Here goes:
1. Montana was the pre-season pick to finish 5th in the Big Sky and that is exactly where the Griz are as they head into conference play. The four teams ahead of Montana ALL have winning non-con records (pretty impressive; all have played tough schedules) due mainly to very solid pitching. Weber State (21-6) and defending champs Portland State (16-10) have the pitching strength and depth to battle for this year's title. Idaho State (under a new coach) has possibly been a surprise, but has been winning games on the strength of two young pitchers.

2. Pitching is precisely where Montana's 2022 lineup is weak... though NOT because of its two starting pitchers. The problem is that the Griz have ONLY two pitchers and that -- in my book -- is simply not enough. Both soph pitcher Allie Brock and frosh pitcher Dana Butterfield are already nearing 100 innings pitched (2nd in the Big Sky for Brock and 5th for Butterfield) so, if either has a bad weekend or even a minor injury, things could bottom out quickly. Currently, there's one other pitcher on the roster, jr. transfer Maggie Joseph, but she's pitched in only two relief appearances. The other pitching prospect was supposed to be sophomore Anna Toon of Great Falls... but she's no longer listed on Montana's roster and I haven't been able to get any info on her. SO: any hopes of Montana competing will ride the arms of Brock and Butterfield.

3. PITCHING: That said, I really like Allie Brock and Dana Butterfield. Both have pretty good control (very few walks pg) for young pitchers, and are capable of hitting corners. Brock has 48 strikeouts on the season (ranked 8th in the Big Sky) while Butterfield has a very solid era (especially for a frosh) of 3.65, ranked 7th in the Big Sky. Brock has very very deceptive rising inside/outside action on her pitches, but cannot afford to hang her risers. Butterfield's got the ability to lure batters to hit her riser for popups, and also comes across as "wild" before grooving the next pitch for a K. Neither is a power pitcher; both pitch to contact. There won't be many shutouts. That's OK in my book, but Montana no longer has a power pitcher who can dominate an opponent. These two kids are still young, but they're also resilient and very tough. I really like them... for what they're already doing, but especially for their potential as they improve game by game.

4. DEFENSE: It's my opinion that Montana's 2022 defense is as good as its Big Sky Conference championship team of yore. The Griz are SOLID in every defensive catgegory, and STELLAR in the outfield. Montana's right-side defense is exceptional. Montana's left side D is good, but left side D is where errors have cost the Griz. At catcher, the Griz have two All-Big Sky receivers in Riley Stockton and McKenna Tjaden, both of whom have two "caught stealing" throws this season. The Griz LEAD the Big Sky in "stolen bases against" by a large margin where lowest counts as the best (only 21).
Part of the "surprising" improvement of Montana's D came about because of an unfortunate injury to jr. 2b Kendall Curtis (a solid defender). But in her stead, jr. left fielder Jaxie Klucewich (a classic utility player) who moved to 2B while Curtis is out... has been fantastic. She's especially adept at tracking high popups into shallow cf or rf... and even in rf foul territory.Replacing Klucewich in left, soph Elise Ontiveros has been even more impressive. She has the speed and range of a center fielder, ironically... a step up from Klucewich, and has made a couple of incredible diving catches. She's especially good at judging liners and has caught a couple in very shallow lf. Center fielder Julie Phelps is All Big Sky defensive material. Phelps has already made 3 catches that are among the best I've seen from a Montana softball player. She can turn her back to a liner, run to a spot, turn, locate the liner, and glove it with ease. She's caught two liners with her back making contact with the cf fence. Lastly, in rf, Brooklyn Weisgram has range, speed and defensive skill of a left fielder. Weisgram has already thrown out two base runners on catch-and-throw liners she's fielded on a bounce, with a hot toss to Cami at 1B for outs. Cami Sellers is a returning grad senior All Big Sky first team 1b at first (need I say more?). Seniors Kiley Becker at 3b and Maygen McGrath at ss are solid. McGrath ranges especially well to her right and in covering 2b on relays. Currently, Montana's .970 defensive stats are tied for second in the Big Sky.

5. OFFENSE: Technically, Montana's offense is its weak point. The Griz rank 5th in the Big Sky with a .266 batting average, 6th in runs scored (95) and 4th in slugging % (.394). I believe that's misleading. It's on offense that I think Montana can "surprise" the Big Sky and move up. The Griz (especially Cami Sellers and Maygen McGrath) have always started slowly... true this year as well. Both Sellers and McGrath, have the offensive ability to finish in the Big Sky top 10 in hitting/slugging categories. BUT... There have been A TON of stranded runners, so that could explain why the Griz are down offensively so far. So... It's my belief that Montana has the best top-to-bottom hitting lineup POTENTIAL I've seen from a Griz team. Ever. That's due largely to one very big surprise in freshman DP Presli Jantzi. She did not start the season as DP, but took it over when soph DP Kelly Sweyer started the year slowly. Jantzi is currently ranked 5th in the Big Sky in hitting (.362), and Sweyer, in the opportunities she's had, shows the kind of home run hitting power this team could display (think Sellers, McGrath, Weisgram) as the season heats up. Jantzi just gets hits, RBIs and... on base. She's taken over the 4th slot in the hitting order. There's more: Phelps has really come along as a hitter in the middle of ther order. She's a singles-doubles hitter with tremendous speed. Currently, Phelps is ranked 8th in the Sky in % at .351. Other positives: Klucewich at leadoff is also heating up as a slap & drag leadoff hitter, Weisgram has long ball power equal to Sellers & McGrath, and Becker, though she has really struggled offensively, was a very solid hitter last year. All of the above has been proven... and is known. So now, all they need is some fine-tuning. In truth, when (not if) Sellers and McGrath tune their swings only slightly, this team could make some noise.

6. Montana's challenge: Improve game by game. Young pitchers Brock and Butterfield, as "pitch-to-contact" control pitchers NEED a solid defense behind them (Brock defends the middle better than Butterfield). If they get it, the Griz have the ability to stay within striking distance on offense. If they don't, they can get blown out fast. As the season progresses, I believe Montana's offense will come around. When it does, and if Brock and Butterfield can stay healthy (get stronger)... the Griz have the ability to move up in the standings AND be a dark horse come tourney time.
Go GrizSB.

I think it was in the 2nd Providence game they showed Grace Hardy warming up in the bullpen. I wonder if that was a depth development thing or if Maggie Joseph is injured or something.

DoubleNicks said:
I think it was in the 2nd Providence game they showed Grace Hardy warming up in the bullpen. I wonder if that was a depth development thing or if Maggie Joseph is injured or something.

I knew that Grace and Kynzie Mohl (Kalispell Glacier) have both pitched. I saw the warmups, but couldn't see who was pitching from my seat angle. It's good that they have options. I was thinking the same thing about Joseph.

DoubleNicks said:

Maggie is indeed injured. She tried to pitch though it in the Fall season, and that did not go well.

Toon left school for family reasons.

Kendal Curtis is still wearing that heavy brace from an injury earlier in the season, but is expected to eventually return to play this season.

maroonandsilver said:
DoubleNicks said:

Maggie is indeed injured. She tried to pitch though it in the Fall season, and that did not go well.

Kendal Curtis is still wearing that heavy brace from an injury earlier in the season, but is expected to eventually return to play this season.

:thumb: Thanks for the insider update, maroonandsilver!

grizzlyjournal said:
maroonandsilver said:

:thumb: Thanks for the insider update, maroonandsilver!

See you tomorrow for the double-header!!!

What an offensive weekend for the Griz vs SUU. In three games, the Griz recorded 51 hits in 105 at bats for a .486 average with seven homers. Wow!

alabamagrizzly said:
What an offensive weekend for the Griz vs SUU. In three games, the Griz recorded 51 hits in 105 at bats for a .486 average with seven homers. Wow!

Let’s hope they carry that momentum! Just an explosion of offense!

I just watched two of our games with SUU. SUU is absolutely horrible. I saw, what must be all, of their pitchers, and I'm not sure they can win a game all year. Once again, I am so happy that they are leaving the BSC. Their exit boosts the overall strength of the BSC in most sports. Now the WAC is down to 5 football playing schools and will not be eligible for post season. the WAC will probably be making plays at some more schools quite soon.

Back