• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Jared Samuelson coming back!

grizindabox said:
Big Sage said:
grizindabox said:
Big Sage said:
I do however have a slight problem with foreign kids getting a scholarship when their family hasn’t paid taxes in the US

This is one of the dumbest things I have ever read on eGriz. Congrats.
You think a foreign kid deserves a free education more than a local kid?

I think a recruited athlete is entitled to the perk of a scholarship and everything it entails no matter where they are from.

I can see both sides of this. I think it is fine for a limited number of foreign kids to get athletic scholarships at US Universities/colleges. I certainly dont think we should look at the world’s population as the recruiting base for US athletic scholarships. We offer a unique opportunity in the US that makes the limited scholarships for most sportd here very desirable and I absolutely think the vast majority should go to US citizens and I think they do. One exception might be mens soccer. There are a disproportionate number of mens soccer players at US colleges that are from out of the US. Would be interested to see the numbers on Federal tax dollars going to foreign men soccer players. Maybe most of these guys arent getting tax dollar funded scholarships.

grizindabox said:
Big Sage said:
I do however have a slight problem with foreign kids getting a scholarship when their family hasn’t paid taxes in the US

I’ll second that! Right up there with “Akoh quit on the team!” That was the dumbest!

rocklobster said:
grizindabox said:
Big Sage said:

I’ll second that! Right up there with “Akoh quit on the team!” That was the dumbest!
Agreed. I would rather have Rorie and Oguine over any guard that has ever played HS basketball in the state of Montana since I have been alive

tourist said:
AZGrizFan said:
tourist said:
I can only speak for myself, but if interest in Griz basketball is to take off, then it has to have a strong presence of Montana kids. Not just bench warmers, but productive on offense and defense. Those from L.A., Seattle, Denver, on Timbuktu have absolutely no interest to me. Krystko types will create a following, and those 3,000 - 4,000 empty seats in Dahlberg might just get filled. Hope Mr. Samuelson kicks ass.

I have zero problem watching the Oguines, the Rories, and the Akohs of the world play in Dahlberg. Your position is one of 20-30 years ago.

Who is going to fill those 3,000 - 4,000 seats? Two Conference championships/Tournament titles and trips to the Dance, and get 4,000 - 4,500 max except for big rivalry games. Its local butts in the seats, and that total has apparently been max'd. But those within fairly short driving range could be brought into the equation. That's why I say Montana talent would draw interest, which in my 20-30 year old frame of mind, matters. Western Montana and nearby population centers are the potential target market. Great Falls, Helena, Butte, Dillon, and points west in Montana have some potential for that increase in ticket sales. I would hope that the last two years of success would have a positive impact on quality Montana prospects who would choose UM over some big out-of-state school. The base has evidently been built. Can UM lure the best Montana kids?
Our attendance is going up. Montana is a crappy basketball state. There are 1-3 guys that have a chance to play D1 every year. You can’t build a championship team with Montana kids in the big sky. Travis is on the really good ones like Worster early. Him taking Mack Anderson was a good move too. He is recruiting how he should be in state. Hopefully we can get the Arlee kid from North Idaho in a year. Not because he is from Montana, but because he is good and could help us.

tourist said:
AZGrizFan said:
tourist said:
I can only speak for myself, but if interest in Griz basketball is to take off, then it has to have a strong presence of Montana kids. Not just bench warmers, but productive on offense and defense. Those from L.A., Seattle, Denver, on Timbuktu have absolutely no interest to me. Krystko types will create a following, and those 3,000 - 4,000 empty seats in Dahlberg might just get filled. Hope Mr. Samuelson kicks ass.

I have zero problem watching the Oguines, the Rories, and the Akohs of the world play in Dahlberg. Your position is one of 20-30 years ago.

Who is going to fill those 3,000 - 4,000 seats? Two Conference championships/Tournament titles and trips to the Dance, and get 4,000 - 4,500 max except for big rivalry games. Its local butts in the seats, and that total has apparently been max'd. But those within fairly short driving range could be brought into the equation. That's why I say Montana talent would draw interest, which in my 20-30 year old frame of mind, matters. Western Montana and nearby population centers are the potential target market. Great Falls, Helena, Butte, Dillon, and points west in Montana have some potential for that increase in ticket sales. I would hope that the last two years of success would have a positive impact on quality Montana prospects who would choose UM over some big out-of-state school. The base has evidently been built. Can UM lure the best Montana kids?

Attendance across college basketball is going down. Meanwhile, attendance at UM games is going UP. We are bucking a national trend in which millennials, Gen Y & Gen X’ers do NOT flock to live sporting events like baby boomer’s did. As boomers die off, attendance at all live sporting events is/will suffer. Samuelson is a great example of a kid who WAS good enough to play here and probably would have been part of the equation last year as a junior had he stayed. Next year he’ll be a major contributor, and I think Anderson will up his game/skills as well and contribute. That’s two guys in an 8-man rotation from Montana. IMHO, that’s not to shabby.

AZGrizFan said:
tourist said:
AZGrizFan said:
tourist said:

Attendance across college basketball is going down. Meanwhile, attendance at UM games is going UP. We are bucking a national trend in which millennials, Gen Y & Gen X’ers do NOT flock to live sporting events like baby boomer’s did. As boomers die off, attendance at all live sporting events is/will suffer. Samuelson is a great example of a kid who WAS good enough to play here and probably would have been part of the equation last year as a junior had he stayed. Next year he’ll be a major contributor, and I think Anderson will up his game/skills as well and contribute. That’s two guys in an 8-man rotation from Montana. IMHO, that’s not to shabby.

3: Manuel, Anderson, and Sameulson. Most we've had in the rotation for a long while.

Sam A. Blitz said:
AZGrizFan said:
tourist said:
AZGrizFan said:

3: Manuel, Anderson, and Sameulson. Most we've had in the rotation for a long while.
Ha! Totally forgot about Manuel. See, I really do NOT care where they come from...

WaGriz4life said:
tourist said:
AZGrizFan said:
tourist said:

Our attendance is going up. Montana is a crappy basketball state. There are 1-3 guys that have a chance to play D1 every year. You can’t build a championship team with Montana kids in the big sky. Travis is on the really good ones like Worster early. Him taking Mack Anderson was a good move too. He is recruiting how he should be in state. Hopefully we can get the Arlee kid from North Idaho in a year. Not because he is from Montana, but because he is good and could help us.

When Timmy is running the point next year people will come because it's style and substance, he doesn't run a fast break, he runs a faster break and his passes are getting legendary, team up with the Arlee kid and WOW.

Sam A. Blitz said:
For a state like Montana, with only a million predominately white population, it's simply not logical to expect a D1 basketball program to have more than a couple in-state scholarship players on the roster.

Why add that qualifier? :? :?

AZGrizFan said:
Sam A. Blitz said:
For a state like Montana, with only a million predominately white population, it's simply not logical to expect a D1 basketball program to have more than a couple in-state scholarship players on the roster.

Because everyone knows that most of the best basketball players in MT are Native American?

AZGrizFan said:
Sam A. Blitz said:
AZGrizFan said:
tourist said:

Ha! Totally forgot about Manuel. See, I really do NOT care where they come from...

The Bobcats had ONE Montana kid on the team last year-Ladan Ricketts, from Livingston! Travis’ goal is to win and put fans in the seats! He’ll put a Montana kid on the team, if it doesn’t compromise success! Three Montana kids next year is great! They’re earning their place on the team like the other players! Btw, that’s 1/4 of the team! Check out other teams in the country, and they’re gonna try to get the best possible players in the country! That’s just reality! Those who think more Montana boys need to be on the team aren’t being realistic! Going to the tournament is the ultimate goal, and Travis recruitment is the key! Very happy that Samuelson, Anderson, and Manuel are part of it!

Glad to see him back. He definitely has improved his skills, but don't think he has the size in the post to compete in the Big Sky. Rocky 's record of 20-20 for the past 2 years in the Frontier, putting them in the middle of the conference, was not real impressive. 2018-19 he took nearly twice as many shots than the next closest player on Rocky and only one person took more shots than he did in the entire conference. No way he'll put up any where near those shot numbers in the BSC. 18.5 ppg in the Frontier might be 6-8 ppg for the Griz. If that's enough to be successful then he'll be fine.

rosco said:
Glad to see him back. He definitely has improved his skills, but don't think he has the size in the post to compete in the Big Sky. Rocky 's record of 20-20 for the past 2 years in the Frontier, putting them in the middle of the conference, was not real impressive. 2018-19 he took nearly twice as many shots than the next closest player on Rocky and only one person took more shots than he did in the entire conference. No way he'll put up any where near those shot numbers in the BSC. 18.5 ppg in the Frontier might be 6-8 ppg for the Griz. If that's enough to be successful then he'll be fine.

I watched him 4 or 5 times at Rocky. Good stats but with lots of touches and shots. Couple games I watched he vanished late in games and if Rocky won or lost it seemed to be on the performance of others. He likes to "play out" ever since AAU ball in the 8th grade. I was always surprised he played as well inside as he did the first time he was at UM.

Seems odd to me for him to come back to Missoula. Left after a very promising RS Frosh season. He had chance to play on two straight NCAA teams and contribute and went to Rocky to join a 20 - 20 Frontier conference team?

PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:
Sam A. Blitz said:

Because everyone knows that most of the best basketball players in MT are Native American?

Why add that "qualifier," indeed, AZ?
From Wiki: "...a person...who believes that a particular race is superior to another..." What word is being defined?

Too small for the 5, too slow for the 4, and no way he'll get the 27 minutes per game like he did at Rocky.

PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:
Sam A. Blitz said:

I don't think this is why Sam added the qualifier, but I do think PlayerRep is right about this!

rosco said:
Too small for the 5, too slow for the 4, and no way he'll get the 27 minutes per game like he did at Rocky.
At 6 feet seven Jared is about the same height as Bobby M and taller than Sayeed. Both played the four and the five. Granted, Sayeed has amazing ability. TD has a way of making this work and I believe Jared has the skills and smarts to fit right in. I would not discount his accomplishments at the NAIA level. He showed a lot of promise as a redshirt freshman while he was here and it seems he has improved considerably since then. :thumb:

tourist said:
PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:
Sam A. Blitz said:

From Wiki: "...a person...who believes that a particular race is superior to another..." What word is being defined?

PC police out in full force... Don't put words in my mouth Tourist. I don't subscribe to that thought process, but if you don't understand that a large majority of D1 basketball players are African American, then I really don't know how to help you.

Also, as part Native myself, I got to agree with PR.

Sam A. Blitz said:
PC police out in full force... Don't put words in my mouth Tourist. I don't subscribe to that thought process, but if you don't understand that a large majority of D1 basketball players are African American, then I really don't know how to help you.

The words are yours, Sam, and you are the only one putting them in your mouth.

Sam A. Blitz said:
tourist said:
PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:

Fully half of Virginia’s squad is white. 6/15 of Texas Tech’s team is white. 7/15 on Michigan State are white.

Now while it’s true that given blacks are about 13% of the population they are over represented, I don’t think it’s necessary to imply that, simply because Montana (the state) is overwhemingly white that somehow it doesn’t have the right gene pool to produce D-1 basketball players. And that’s what your post implied, whether it’s what you meant or not.

Back