• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

If root sports shows college basketball...

Grizbballfan14

... why isnt it part of the deal with the big sky conference? I feel like viewership would be good if they did a limited run of games. Maybe 10 per season.

When it does come time to renegotiate our deal no matter what the conference decides, whether it is to stick with Root or go a different route, I hope that the deal includes better coverage of the Basketball teams. I like streaming the games for free, but I think a couple of televised games would be big for everyone in the conference.

Root more than likely has a conditional contract(s) with Gonzaga, and the West Coast Conference for Men's B-Ball. If the WCC had football teams that played FCS, we probably wouldn't have the luxury of seeing Big Sky football on their network at all. Root sees the value in covering the only FCS football conference out west, but that ain't the case in B-Ball unfortunately...

Kabooom said:
Root more than likely has a conditional contract(s) with Gonzaga, and the West Coast Conference for Men's B-Ball. If the WCC had football teams that played FCS, we probably wouldn't have the luxury of seeing Big Sky football on their network at all. Root sees the value in covering the only FCS football conference out west, but that ain't the case in B-Ball unfortunately...

This is definitely a fair point, but if the conference were smart they would leverage the value of being the only FCS conference out west in order to get better coverage for their basketball teams. If root wants to show the football games, make them show a few basketball games too.

Grizbballfan14 said:
Kabooom said:

This is definitely a fair point, but if the conference were smart they would leverage the value of being the only FCS conference out west in order to get better coverage for their basketball teams. If root wants to show the football games, make them show a few basketball games too.

The key word might be leverage. I'm doubtful the BSC has any here.

Ursa Major said:
Grizbballfan14 said:
Kabooom said:

Root sports wouldnt continue to show BSC games if it didnt make them money. I'd be willing to bet that BSC football has the best viewership among any of their college sports offerings.

Grizbballfan14 said:
Ursa Major said:
Grizbballfan14 said:
Kabooom said:

Root sports wouldnt continue to show BSC games if it didnt make them money. I'd be willing to bet that BSC football has the best viewership among any of their college sports offerings.
What's our fallback position for tv broadcasts? Do it or we'll go exclusively with Pluto? Maybe they could talk to FS1?

One BB game with Gonzaga will have the same viewership as 10 UM games?

I would love to see it but I don't see it happening.

Ursa Major said:
Grizbballfan14 said:
Ursa Major said:
Grizbballfan14 said:

What's our fallback position for tv broadcasts? Do it or we'll go exclusively with Pluto? Maybe they could talk to FS1?

Altitude is a possible option, espn+, maybe fox sports but not too likely, or they could invest in their own streaming option WatchBigSky

UM and MSU fans in Montana would be fine without Root sports. Local TV stations would pick up the rest of the games like they used to before the Root Sports deal. That's why ESPN+ isnt as bad of an option as most think. Most of the Griz games would be swx productions that ESPN buys and distributes. The Griz-South Dakota stream was the same broadcast that was being shown on TV in Montana. It would also provide Griz fans around the country and the rest of the world the opportunity to watch their team and stay invested.

Grizbballfan14 said:
Ursa Major said:
Grizbballfan14 said:
Ursa Major said:

Altitude is a possible option, espn+, maybe fox sports but not too likely, or they could invest in their own streaming option WatchBigSky

UM and MSU fans in Montana would be fine without Root sports. Local TV stations would pick up the rest of the games like they used to before the Root Sports deal. That's why ESPN+ isnt as bad of an option as most think. Most of the Griz games would be swx productions that ESPN buys and distributes. The Griz-South Dakota stream was the same broadcast that was being shown on TV in Montana. It would also provide Griz fans around the country and the rest of the world the opportunity to watch their team and stay invested.

I think a major distinction is a full broadcast of a game vs. just broadcasting a feed.

How many viewers would tune into Root Sports for a Montana home game on a Thursday night vs. N. Colorado? If the live commentary on this site is any indication, not very many. Sadly, I don't think the market is there.

Grizbballfan14 said:
... why isnt it part of the deal with the big sky conference? I feel like viewership would be good if they did a limited run of games. Maybe 10 per season.

When it does come time to renegotiate our deal no matter what the conference decides, whether it is to stick with Root or go a different route, I hope that the deal includes better coverage of the Basketball teams. I like streaming the games for free, but I think a couple of televised games would be big for everyone in the conference.

I agree and I would go further, every Montana game should be on local TV around MT. But giving rights to ROOT scares me, Root caused me to pretty much lose touch with Football because they had no online options. This year I noticed they have something with AT&T for the first time, but not interested enough anymore to buy it. I think there are a lot of Montanans around the country who would lose touch if you put very many games behind a paywall.
UM just needs better promotion in general, I notice the Bobcats get some games broadcast state wide but Griz have none. Even with Griz football you usually have to go to 4 or 5 different sources to get view football games.

Latest posts

Back