• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

UM @ Arkansas

Minutes were 37 for Pridgett, 32 for Manuel and 31 for Falls. Pridgett and Anderson had 7 rebounds each.

Pridgett had 7 TO. Falls 5. Vasquez 3.

Falls led team with 3 assists.

UM shot 32%. 2-16 from 3.

13, 12, 9 and 8 in scoring. Pridgett, Manual, Anderson, Carter-H.

64-46 loss. 13,000 attendance.

braves84 said:
Grizbballfan14 said:
This is a young team. What we saw today shouldn't be surprising. There will be turnovers and sloppy play offensively, especially against Power 5 competition. What has been encouraging so far is they don't look overwhelmed defensively, and play with a lot of energy.

One thing that is killing us is depth. An 8 man rotation is small, and half of those players are playing their first minutes as college basketball players. It will take time to build a rhythm and fully adjust to the college game. Getting Jared Samuelson healthy and then Selcuk becoming eligible later in the season will help add depth and provide more size. On the bright side the young guys are getting a lot of valuable minutes.

We have good shooters. They wont be cold all season. Manuel is lethal and when Samuelson comes back he can stretch the floor well as a post.

On the Timmy Falls front, he is coming off of an injury to his shooting hand. He is going to look rough for much of November. His shot doesnt look right and he hasn't been able to get much live action until very recently. Injuries take time to recover from, but especially one to your hand. Let's be patient.

Overall I would say that I'm impressed by the team. We obviously have a long ways to go but it will come with time.
So, what was falls issue when he shot around 37% from the field and 32% from 3 point land last year.
Like I said he is what he is, a serviceable role player in limited minuets.

Why do you think Falls played 31 minutes, 3d on the team today? He led the team in assists. That is more than serviceable. Nor is 31 minutes and 3d on the team, limited minutes.

What the heck are you talking about?

PlayerRep said:
braves84 said:
Grizbballfan14 said:
This is a young team. What we saw today shouldn't be surprising. There will be turnovers and sloppy play offensively, especially against Power 5 competition. What has been encouraging so far is they don't look overwhelmed defensively, and play with a lot of energy.

One thing that is killing us is depth. An 8 man rotation is small, and half of those players are playing their first minutes as college basketball players. It will take time to build a rhythm and fully adjust to the college game. Getting Jared Samuelson healthy and then Selcuk becoming eligible later in the season will help add depth and provide more size. On the bright side the young guys are getting a lot of valuable minutes.

We have good shooters. They wont be cold all season. Manuel is lethal and when Samuelson comes back he can stretch the floor well as a post.

On the Timmy Falls front, he is coming off of an injury to his shooting hand. He is going to look rough for much of November. His shot doesnt look right and he hasn't been able to get much live action until very recently. Injuries take time to recover from, but especially one to your hand. Let's be patient.

Overall I would say that I'm impressed by the team. We obviously have a long ways to go but it will come with time.
So, what was falls issue when he shot around 37% from the field and 32% from 3 point land last year.

Why do you think Falls played 31 minutes, 3d on the team today? He led the team in assists. That is more than serviceable. Nor is 31 minutes and 3d on the team, limited minutes.

He played as much as he did because what are the other options with a limited bench. Had 3 assist
to at least 4 turnovers , are you seriously happy with that? A good point guard should be at least 3 assists to 1 turnover.
Dequire is on record as saying Vasquez is already their best point guard. Why do you think dequire was actively looking for a transfer point guard all summer if he was content with what he had coming back, here's a hint it wasn't only for depth on the bench.
It was news that certain grizzly basketball players were active on social media trying to get that point guard from the portland pilots to transfer to Missoula over the summer.

braves84 said:
Grizbballfan14 said:

Admittedly 37% is low from the field, but shooting 30% from 3 is definitely respectable. Also Falls' greatest asset as a basketball player has never been his scoring. He is on this team for his tenacious defense, creative passing, and excellent court vision.

I dont want to single you out, because there are a lot of people on eGriz guilty of this, but there is a bad habit of assuming these kids are finished products when they arrive on campus. They are still young adults. Not only are they still maturing both physically and mentally, but they are still improving as basketball players. It was only his sophomore season. Pridgett couldnt shoot 3s at all as a sophomore but worked on it and got better.
Even professional athletes at the highest level continue to improve after becoming pros.

Finally, yes he turned the ball over a lot yesterday, but he is still out of rhythm. Basketball is a game of finesse and repetition, you cant come back from an injury to your shooting hand that quickly and expect to be in great form. Not to mention, Pridgett turned the ball over 7 times yesterday. Are you going to say that he isnt good enough to be starting player in the big sky?

braves84 said:
PlayerRep said:
braves84 said:
Grizbballfan14 said:

He played as much as he did because what are the other options with a limited bench. Had 3 assist
to at least 4 turnovers , are you seriously happy with that? A good point guard should be at least 3 assists to 1 turnover.
Dequire is on record as saying Vasquez is already their best point guard. Why do you think dequire was actively looking for a transfer point guard all summer if he was content with what he had coming back, here's a hint it wasn't only for depth on the bench.
It was news that certain grizzly basketball players were active on social media trying to get that point guard from the portland pilots to transfer to Missoula over the summer.

Vasquez played 21 minutes, so Falls obviously didn't play 31 minutes at point guard.

You don't know why Falls played 31 minutes. I think UM has lots of options and depth, although young depth. I think that Falls players 31 minutes because Travis wanted him in there, and he was asking various contributions.

Coaches recruit for multiple years, not just one season. It's hard to recruit for just one season, because of the transfers rules. Only JC's are guaranteed to be able to play right away. Wh do you think the Portland pilot could have played right away?

Is it your view that a player who has 7 turnovers like Pridgett did, is just servicaeable and is getting big minutes only because there are no other options. Could it not be that he is good and the coach wants him in there, just like with Falls.

Do you know anything about basketball? Just curious.

PlayerRep said:
braves84 said:
Grizbballfan14 said:

1. I think what he is saying is that Falls skill set is that of role player, hes not saying that Falls is playing the minutes of a role player. He's saying Falls is a 2nd sting guy who his being forced into starter minutes because of the lack of depth you rightly mentioned. And I don't think that is an attack in Falls, some guys are pinch hitters because there skill set doesn't translate well over a long stretch but rather have more impact in a spark plug role. Also I think anyone objective would say Falls has an objectively lol poor shooting stroke, its a low line drive and he has side ways rotation on FTs. He's not a good shooter, and again that's fine I don't expect to score a lot, his best skills are stingy D and distributing. But what Braves84 is saying is that if you want to view Falls as a starting level PG then all the turnovers become unacceptable, you can't be a starting level PG if its not efficient to have you handling the ball a lot. And if you want to view him as a starting level shooting guard then his needs be a good shooter or scorer, but it would not be efficient to have Falls get a high volume of shots.

2. I'm pretty sure Selcuk is not playing this year, he's not going to use his last year of eligibility to play a abbreviated season.

3. We don't have good shooters, like that's just not true, last year we didn't have good shooters, and the year before we didn't have good shooters. That just not the the style the Griz recruit, they go for high upside athletes who if they were better shoots would probably be going to bigger places than UM. Ogunie and Rorie developed into competent shooters, but you would never confuse them for guys who might go off for 6 or 7 3pt shots in a game because they didn't have the shooting talent to do that. Solid shooters can get hot but good shooters will kill you if you leave them wide open. We use our athleticism to create a high volume of high percentage shots close to the hoop, and if you remember the last few years the way to beat us was clog the lane and make us be shot makers.

4. SO the unlucky lid on the basket narrative...nah how many time is the lid going to be on the basket against Power 5 teams v. Mich 32% and 33% v. Penn St. 39% v. Zona 26% v. Stanford 29% and 44% v. Washington 40% v. Arkansas 32%. I sure I missed few games from last few years. Pitt was awful.
Griz often rank high in shooting percentage because they are built to move the ball and get easy looks going to the basket and they have guys that can convert at the rim. When you play against power 5 competition the bad shooting shows up because the volume of looks close to the basket goes way down. For example the Griz might generate 25 open mid range or 3pt looks against Weber State and make 8 of them against Mich they might generate 13 and make 3, same bad shooting but all of a sudden your scoring 52pts instead of 65pts.
LIKE who on the Griz scares you from wide open? Manuel maybe if he is feeling it but if he is cold he can clank a bunch of open 3s in a row. Sometimes it feels pointless to work open looks on the perimeter because if Griz were just playing on a empty court they'd still shoot 37% on perimeter jumps shots. Nobody from the last few years would scare you in a 3pt contest...

That's why TD builds his team on D because we aren't going to win consistently in shootouts, but we can hold you to 55pts and consistently score 65-70 by getting turnovers and driving the ball in for shots close to the rim. Its a reliable formula for BSC, but without size or fineness/shooting its just hard to beat Power 5 teams who are more athletic and have size and shooting, when your game is predicated on being the most athletic team on the floor.

ALL OF WHICH IS TO SAY: I think we have to be real, Griz are not built around strong shooting or size and our struggles against power 5 teams are no lid on the basket fluke, were just built to matchup with Power 5 competition. We are built on speed, defense, athleticism relative to bigsky competition, getting a lot high percentage shots going to the basket, and the hope of developing a few shooters and a few bigs who can defend. Now it can be frustrating when we all dream of being a sweet 16 darling, but Im also grateful for sustained success in the bigsky and if we continue that maybe the shooters and skilled bigs will come...AND some proper promotion from university to help build a fan base and fill the arena >:-( would also Help!

5. I agree all the Frosh look legit, super excited for this team! Hollinger looks like a Kareem Jamar in the making with more hops!, Vasquez looks like he has a lot of potential in his shooting stroke and seems super calm for a Frosh leading the offense, Owens looks like he has fun playing the game and will be super versatile, Egun uhh not sure what he brings yet, he hasn't 'flashed" as they say, either negatively or positively. Mac showed me if he plays aggressive he could be a real legit Big. I also have high expectations for Samualson, and of course Pridgett can get his. Which all is exciting because it looks like Reload rather than a Rebuild!

PlayerRep said:
braves84 said:
PlayerRep said:
braves84 said:

Vasquez played 21 minutes, so Falls obviously didn't play 31 minutes at point guard.

You don't know why Falls played 31 minutes. I think UM has lots of options and depth, although young depth. I think that Falls players 31 minutes because Travis wanted him in there, and he was asking various contributions.

Coaches recruit for multiple years, not just one season. It's hard to recruit for just one season, because of the transfers rules. Only JC's are guaranteed to be able to play right away. Wh do you think the Portland pilot could have played right away?

Is it your view that a player who has 7 turnovers like Pridgett did, is just servicaeable and is getting big minutes only because there are no other options. Could it not be that he is good and the coach wants him in there, just like with Falls.

Pridgget has a history of being a dominant force and everyone knew that as our best player he had to take a chance and force the issue last night. So I wouldn't ask people who you are not sure if they know anything about basketball bad basketball questions, if they indeed don't know anything it will just confuse them more, if they do know basketball it will make you look bad and like you are resorting to a false equivalence. Like Falls can do pretty pass sometimes and some people think he's fun to watch, but it doesn't make you a bad person if you are not smitten with him as a player and think he has concerning weaknesses in his skill set. You both have valid perspectives on what his role is and why it is what it is.

mtgrizrule said:
I am watching this game "On Demand". Just finished the 1st half. Love the halftime feature with Isaiah Joe on shooting. Guess what? He uses the exact prepractice/pregame shootaround that I coach. If anyone wants to show a kid how to become a shooter, have him/her watch that quick halftime feature from this game. I guarantee it, if Falls were to use that, he'd improve his shooting a lot. I am pretty sure, Manuel has a similar shooting routine as Joe does.

As for this game, the announcers summed it up well, in the 1st half. There was a lid on the basket for the GRIZ. The GRIZ had several shots that looked to be going down, come back out. Vasquez, Manuel, and Owens will not continue to miss shots. They are all too good of shooters to struggle like they are. Anderson and Carter Hollinger actually looked pretty solid in this game.

How about Owens, drawing yet another charge call early in the game. That boy positions himself for charges, just like Coach K coaches it! Egun is also so pretty good at positioning himself too.

This GRIZ team needs to take care of the ball better and get the shots to fall. The effort and execution is there. I really am not worried at this stage. I sure wish a shooter like Isaiah Joe would be a GRIZ.

What are you watching the replay on?

PlayerRep said:
braves84 said:
PlayerRep said:
braves84 said:

They went 3 players deep, carter-hollinger got quite of a run, falls got his 30 minuets and egun got in too. That's it . Right know their options are limited. Did you watch?

CleanHOUSE said:
PlayerRep said:
braves84 said:
PlayerRep said:

Pridgget has a history of being a dominant force and everyone knew that as our best player he had to take a chance and force the issue last night. So I wouldn't ask people who you are not sure if they know anything about basketball bad basketball questions, if they indeed don't know anything it will just confuse them more, if they do know basketball it will make you look bad and like you are resorting to a false equivalence. Like Falls can do pretty pass sometimes and some people think he's fun to watch, but it doesn't make you a bad person if you are not smitten with him as a player and think he has concerning weaknesses in his skill set. You both have valid perspectives on what his role is and why it is what it is.

We all know how biased you are. I will say and ask anything I want. It's clear that Brave doesn't understand basketball. Most of what he says shows his lack of understanding of the game. Are you going to defend him for his basketball knowledge?

braves84 said:
PlayerRep said:
braves84 said:
PlayerRep said:

They went 3 players deep, carter-hollinger got quite of a run, falls got his 30 minuets and egun got in too. That's it . Right know their options are limited. Did you watch?

Do you know anything about the game of basketball?

flatheadgriz406 said:
mtgrizrule said:
I am watching this game "On Demand". Just finished the 1st half. Love the halftime feature with Isaiah Joe on shooting. Guess what? He uses the exact prepractice/pregame shootaround that I coach. If anyone wants to show a kid how to become a shooter, have him/her watch that quick halftime feature from this game. I guarantee it, if Falls were to use that, he'd improve his shooting a lot. I am pretty sure, Manuel has a similar shooting routine as Joe does.

As for this game, the announcers summed it up well, in the 1st half. There was a lid on the basket for the GRIZ. The GRIZ had several shots that looked to be going down, come back out. Vasquez, Manuel, and Owens will not continue to miss shots. They are all too good of shooters to struggle like they are. Anderson and Carter Hollinger actually looked pretty solid in this game.

How about Owens, drawing yet another charge call early in the game. That boy positions himself for charges, just like Coach K coaches it! Egun is also so pretty good at positioning himself too.

This GRIZ team needs to take care of the ball better and get the shots to fall. The effort and execution is there. I really am not worried at this stage. I sure wish a shooter like Isaiah Joe would be a GRIZ.

What are you watching the replay on?

It's on demand on ESPN +.

As for the clean house, I think you, the commentators, and I have different definitions of lid on the basket. Yet, we might actually see things similar. Their comment was after several GRIZ shots seemed to be down, but rolled out. I agreed with that narrative. Yet, lid on the basket doesn't apply when the shots aren't fundamentally sound shots. Yes, the GRIZ tend to shoot some line drives, off balance shots, etc, which reduces the likelihood of a shot going in.

I didn't count the number of shots that looked to be going in, but somehow didn't. I am guessing 7 to 10 shots would fit my definition of lid on the basket. Manuel is having it happen more than most players. Yes, in my opinion, that narrative has played a bigger role this season than we'd like. Also, as a whole, this team does need work on shooting fundamentals. Falls, could use to learn proper rotation and release, more than any other perimeter player. He's good at getting open and squaring up. That's a solid foundation to build off.

I honestly think, Manuel will be fine. Vasquez has good fundamentals, he just needs to find his confidence. He seems to be pressing. It will come for him. Owens has a funky release, yet still looks he can be an efficient shooter. Pridgett is capable of being a 40% plus 3 pt shooter. It's just not part of his make up though. If he wants to be in the NBA, he'll have to change his approach in that aspect.

With all that, either they improve more as a team, or they run more plays for Manuel to be given opportunities to hit 4+ 3's per game.

We shall see, what the coaches do to remedy the shooting woes. We all agree, it has to improve.

CleanHOUSE said:
PlayerRep said:
braves84 said:
Grizbballfan14 said:

1. I think what he is saying is that Falls skill set is that of role player, hes not saying that Falls is playing the minutes of a role player. He's saying Falls is a 2nd sting guy who his being forced into starter minutes because of the lack of depth you rightly mentioned. And I don't think that is an attack in Falls, some guys are pinch hitters because there skill set doesn't translate well over a long stretch but rather have more impact in a spark plug role. Also I think anyone objective would say Falls has an objectively lol poor shooting stroke, its a low line drive and he has side ways rotation on FTs. He's not a good shooter, and again that's fine I don't expect to score a lot, his best skills are stingy D and distributing. But what Braves84 is saying is that if you want to view Falls as a starting level PG then all the turnovers become unacceptable, you can't be a starting level PG if its not efficient to have you handling the ball a lot. And if you want to view him as a starting level shooting guard then his needs be a good shooter or scorer, but it would not be efficient to have Falls get a high volume of shots.

2. I'm pretty sure Selcuk is not playing this year, he's not going to use his last year of eligibility to play a abbreviated season.

3. We don't have good shooters, like that's just not true, last year we didn't have good shooters, and the year before we didn't have good shooters. That just not the the style the Griz recruit, they go for high upside athletes who if they were better shoots would probably be going to bigger places than UM. Ogunie and Rorie developed into competent shooters, but you would never confuse them for guys who might go off for 6 or 7 3pt shots in a game because they didn't have the shooting talent to do that. Solid shooters can get hot but good shooters will kill you if you leave them wide open. We use our athleticism to create a high volume of high percentage shots close to the hoop, and if you remember the last few years the way to beat us was clog the lane and make us be shot makers.

4. SO the unlucky lid on the basket narrative...nah how many time is the lid going to be on the basket against Power 5 teams v. Mich 32% and 33% v. Penn St. 39% v. Zona 26% v. Stanford 29% and 44% v. Washington 40% v. Arkansas 32%. I sure I missed few games from last few years. Pitt was awful.
Griz often rank high in shooting percentage because they are built to move the ball and get easy looks going to the basket and they have guys that can convert at the rim. When you play against power 5 competition the bad shooting shows up because the volume of looks close to the basket goes way down. For example the Griz might generate 25 open mid range or 3pt looks against Weber State and make 8 of them against Mich they might generate 13 and make 3, same bad shooting but all of a sudden your scoring 52pts instead of 65pts.
LIKE who on the Griz scares you from wide open? Manuel maybe if he is feeling it but if he is cold he can clank a bunch of open 3s in a row. Sometimes it feels pointless to work open looks on the perimeter because if Griz were just playing on a empty court they'd still shoot 37% on perimeter jumps shots. Nobody from the last few years would scare you in a 3pt contest...

That's why TD builds his team on D because we aren't going to win consistently in shootouts, but we can hold you to 55pts and consistently score 65-70 by getting turnovers and driving the ball in for shots close to the rim. Its a reliable formula for BSC, but without size or fineness/shooting its just hard to beat Power 5 teams who are more athletic and have size and shooting, when your game is predicated on being the most athletic team on the floor.

ALL OF WHICH IS TO SAY: I think we have to be real, Griz are not built around strong shooting or size and our struggles against power 5 teams are no lid on the basket fluke, were just built to matchup with Power 5 competition. We are built on speed, defense, athleticism relative to bigsky competition, getting a lot high percentage shots going to the basket, and the hope of developing a few shooters and a few bigs who can defend. Now it can be frustrating when we all dream of being a sweet 16 darling, but Im also grateful for sustained success in the bigsky and if we continue that maybe the shooters and skilled bigs will come...AND some proper promotion from university to help build a fan base and fill the arena >:-( would also Help!

5. I agree all the Frosh look legit, super excited for this team! Hollinger looks like a Kareem Jamar in the making with more hops!, Vasquez looks like he has a lot of potential in his shooting stroke and seems super calm for a Frosh leading the offense, Owens looks like he has fun playing the game and will be super versatile, Egun uhh not sure what he brings yet, he hasn't 'flashed" as they say, either negatively or positively. Mac showed me if he plays aggressive he could be a real legit Big. I also have high expectations for Samualson, and of course Pridgett can get his. Which all is exciting because it looks like Reload rather than a Rebuild!

My god you are long-winded. How many people are going to read this?

In his frosh year, Falls shot 41.4% and 40.7% from 3.

Oguine and Rorie shot 33.9 and 35.7 from 3 that year. Last year they shot, from 3, 34.7, same as Falls, and 35.6. Moorehead shot 30.3 from 3 last year.

I think Falls can shoot fine and can and will improve.

A couple of you are too biased to look at things objectively.

"My god you are long-winded. How many people are going to read this?"

I did. Respect his perspective... just as I respect yours. ;)

No one should be expecting P5 wins right now. This team is a work in progress with having players out and guys that really green. There’s talent no doubt other than being a small team. As long as we see steady improvement against this tough schedule with injured players coming back then I think we will be competitive for conference play. I wouldn’t say we are the favorite in the big sky from the early looks but that can always change.

PlayerRep said:
CleanHOUSE said:
PlayerRep said:
braves84 said:

We all know how biased you are. I will say and ask anything I want. It's clear that Brave doesn't understand basketball. Most of what he says shows his lack of understanding of the game. Are you going to defend him for his basketball knowledge?

Biased about who I agree with? Braves84 is just saying he thinks Falls fits better in a role player role and your saying Falls adds the most value playing starter minutes? You both have reasonable evidence to support your thoughts. Go ahead and ask anything you want lol.
You ask: "Is Pridgett just a serviceable player because he had 7 turnovers?" My answer: No. Is my answer based on one game? No. Are Braves84's opinions based on one game? No. Can two players play minutes for different reasons? Yes. Do I know anything about Brave84s basketball knowledge? No.

PlayerRep said:
CleanHOUSE said:
PlayerRep said:
braves84 said:

My god you are long-winded. How many people are going to read this?

Haha fair point.

grizzlyjournal said:
"My god you are long-winded. How many people are going to read this?"

I did. Respect his perspective... just as I respect yours. ;)

Can you give us the cliff notes?

PlayerRep said:
In his frosh year, Falls shot 41.4% and 40.7% from 3.

Oguine and Rorie shot 33.9 and 35.7 from 3 that year. Last year they shot, from 3, 34.7, same as Falls, and 35.6. Moorehead shot 30.3 from 3 last year.

I think Falls can shoot fine and can and will improve.

A couple of you are too biased to look at things objectively.
Falls is shooting 2 for 11 from the field, assists to turnovers is 6 to 11 this year so far. If your o.k. with that than that's on you.
I've never said he shouldn't be playing, he's a good big sky bench player, and that's o.k.

Latest posts

Back