• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Idaho State 2.0

CleanHOUSE said:
GrizBall said:
As I pointed out with Steadman, sometimes people’s perceptions are not supported by the actual numbers.

Here are some stats on Parker:

16th in D-1 basketball and 1st in the Big Sky with a 38% Assist Rate - meaning when he is on the floor he assists on 38% of the team’s made field goals during that span (KenPom website).

The only player in D-1 basketball shooting 48%+FG/48%+3PG and averaging 4.7+apg. (Basketball Reference website).

Leads the Big Sky in assists per game, total assists and is 2nd in A/TO ratio. (Gogriz and Bigskyconf websites).

I think the fact he is a very unorthodox player, jumps on way too many passes and will occasionally throw a pass that seem to make little sense skews the perception of him.

Some of the defensive comments are on point. The numbers show that Parker has some improving to do on the defensive end. Also often times teams that play at a slower tempo get credit for being better defensive teams than they actually are due to the fact the slower tempo creates less scoring opportunities for opponents and disrupts the flow of the game.

I also don’t believe “Defense wins championships.” This is an ancient statement and has been widely debunked. It no long holds true with the :30 clock and 3pt line. Plus kids are too skilled offensively now. You have 6’8-6’9 kids stepping out and hitting 3’s. It no surprise that the Big Sky’s 3 best offensive teams are 1-2-3 in conference with only Weber being as high as 3rd in defense (all according to KenPom).

The new winning formula is being good on defense and very good to elite on offense. Clearly you want to be as good as you can on defense, but regardless of how good you are defensively, you can’t be a top team without at least a very good offense.

Thoughts are well supported by data so my perception is probably a little off, and I didn't say he was bad passer, its just he can make really bad passes and strong more athletic kids can put him on his back foot and bully him at times into weak passes. But I would still say if has any elite skills its getting to the rim and finishing with patience and control. I will also say that his passing has improved a lot over the season, Parker as he is right now is someone I trust a lot more with the ball than say the first 10 games or so.

100% agree with this.

citay said:
... Plus we need more heft. Our kids gets pushed around down low--backed up, backed up, until the opponent has an easy shot or draws foul. And once yesterday when Kyle Owens tried to back HIS defender down, the defender didn't budge. I hope Kyle can come back next year at about 225 or 230. Remember, he was only 6'5" when we recruited him. There's time for his body to catch up to his height. When that happens, look out!

Finally, we're playing seven freshmen and sophomores in our rotation. Lighten up folks!
The quality is there. These kids will age like fine wine.
All good stuff, but the lack of heft has really jumped out at me. So ... the strength and conditioning coach may be the second most important guy on the staff between now and next season.

Checked out the Griz roster, particularly the guys getting the most minutes (over 400 seems like a good cutoff right now. (You have to omit Steadman, who had 429 minutes). Of course, you can also assume that the height and weight numbers may have changed some, but there’s not much you can do about that. But it’s very telling. Of the four guards with the most PT, one weighs 190 pounds with the others weighing 180 or less. (All are 6-3 or under.)

I spot checked several mid-major rosters. While you can find some skinnier guys, most mid-major guards run 190-200 pounds, with some going as high as 210. Now, size doesn’t automatically go with strength and top athletic ability, but it seems pretty clear that the Griz guards just do not measure up. (In case you wondered, the glaring difference for the power conferences is a whole lot more 6-4 to 6-6 guards.)

Bannan and Owens are the Griz Forwards with the most PT. They weigh 215 and 205, respectively. The more typical 6-8 or 6-9 mid-major Forward weighs in at 225-240. Of course our “bigs” are going to get pushed around.

maroonandsilver said:
Callithowiseeit said:
You may want to watch some of these games again and stop riding the band wagon, Parker is creative but wreckless and doesn't always make the open pass, I see him look off multiple guys only to force up some bullshit, he can't defend very well and neither can a few other gaurds and Travis rotations are ridiculous and thats why we end up like this over and over. How many turnovers did our gaurds have today?????? How many times do PGs just dribble back and fourth to force a bad shot leading to a turnover. Better defensive teams???? If that were true we would get more stops when needed not just against bad teams. If I struck a nerve thats too bad these are just my opinions and if yoh don't like them that's your problem, everything I've said has been valid.

You will gain more credibility when you learn to spell---Guards.
Lol as will you guys when you can actually win some games and stop blowing leads because of horrible coaching and a shitty offense, I see I struck a nerve but that's fine ill take my big fingers on a small keypad over your ridiculous game plan day in day out.

With a first round bye or not, I don't see the Men's team winning more than one game in the tournament (and might not accomplish that!).

Callithowiseeit said:
If I struck a nerve thats too bad these are just my opinions and if yoh don't like them that's your problem, everything I've said has been valid.

Wait, why would it be “our problem” if we didn’t agree with your opinions? Opinions are like, well, you know...

MikeyGriz said:
With a first round bye or not, I don't see the Men's team winning more than one game in the tournament (and might not accomplish that!).

Or, they could win the whole thing. That’s why nothing up to the tournament means anything.

GrizBall said:
hunt-ducks said:
So, are you saying that we have a very good to elite offense? If you do, you must be watching a different team than I am. I wonder how we rank in the Big Sky as far as number of 3-point shots taken, and the number made. Anyone know the answer?

I am actually saying the opposite. It doesn’t matter how good your defense is if you don’t have a very good offense and right now our offense is not in the very good category. So until that is straightened out defense is irrelevant.

I eyeballed the Big Sky Conf 3pt percentage and I would say we are last in 3pt attempts per game (it’s hard because everyone has played an uneven amount of games and I didn’t feel like doing the math).

Also according to KenPom Montana’s percentage of 3 pointers attempted is 340 of our 357 teams nationally (measured as 3Pt FGs attempted/FG attempted)

Thanks for looking-up how we stack up in 3-point attempts nationally. I think you could be correct in saying we are probably last in the Big Sky in the number of 3s attempted. If we were a team who was a bigs-oriented team, whose offensive philosophy was to pound the rock inside, it would make more sense to be near the bottom of the conference in 3s attempts. But, we are just the opposite...... a guard-oriented team. I think everyone who follows national college basketball agrees that the game has evolved to where the "3" is a huge part of almost every offense. I am still puzzled why our players pass-up so many open 3s. Are the coaches telling them to pass them up for some reason?

I think the fact that we don't have strong inside bigs who can post-up, receive the entry pass, then kick it out for an open 3 is one of the main reasons we may be shooting fewer 3s. There are other ways to create open 3s however, but our offense does not utilize them.

Back