• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

A while back…..

IdahoGrizFan

A while back, maybe a year or more we were talking about the best high school player to come out of Montana. A guy was mentioned from the 1960’s I believe. He went to Utah State I think. He had a unstoppable driving hook shot and was expected to be drafted high in the NBA draft. But tragically he was killed when his head hit a downed power line after his last college game.

Can someone remind me of his name?

IdahoGrizFan said:
A while back, maybe a year or more we were talking about the best high school player to come out of Montana. A guy was mentioned from the 1960’s I believe. He went to Utah State I think. He had a unstoppable driving hook shot and was expected to be drafted high in the NBA draft. But tragically he was killed when his head hit a downed power line after his last college game.

Wayne Estes from Anaconda and went to Utah State.

IdahoGrizFan said:

His hook wasn’t driving or always driving. He could shoot it from the corners from about what is now 3-pt range. I saw him play the Cats in Field House.

PlayerRep said:
IdahoGrizFan said:

His hook wasn’t driving or always driving. He could shoot it from the corners from about what is now 3-pt range. I saw him play the Cats in Field House.

Didn't your second cousin's stepbrother go to Utah State at the same time and have some classes with him?

I saw Estes in at the field house in 1963 (85-67 Aggies) or 1964 (99-70 Aggies) and -- without actually looking it up -- believe he scored 28 points in a blowout of Montana. Lot of folks at the game from Anaconda cheering for the Aggies. No one could stop his hook shot, several of which he made from the right corner of the free throw line extended a ft. or two. I remember practicing that shot for awhile under the wild assumption that it might help me improve my offensive game. :( A huge, muscular hulk of a young man, who played the game with almost nonchalant ease. Mike Lewis was then a sophomore or junior at MCHS and there was a lot of talk about who would actually become the best pro basketball big man.

If you are ever in Anaconda stop at Donivans (awesome breakfasts for big eaters). They have a great display area of Wayne Estes photos. there is one photo of a jump shot and he has some major vertical going on. One really has to think/wonder how great he would have been.

Back