• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

"Bigs" Problem: Resolved?

citygriz

As we head into year seven of the DeCuire regime, we can look back on any number of outstanding guard recruits--some among the best in the history of the program. But bona fide bigs? Not so many.

I can only identify three--Martin Breunig, Fabijan Kryslovic and Jamar Akoh. And only Akoh was a DeCuire recruit. Breunig was a redshirt senior DeCuire's first year, and Kryslovic a sophomore--both holdovers from the Tinkle era.

The list of washouts? Alphonso Anderson; Bryden Boehning; Admir Beslovic; Kelby Kramer; Karl Nicholas; Yagizhan Selcuk; Ben Carter; Michael Steadman; Darius Henderson.

In this regard we may be heading into the best year for bigs in DeCuire's seven year era: Kyle Owens, Josh Bannan and Scott Blakney. And while I don't think of Mack Anderson as a true big because of his slight build, he may be in the mix as well.

But how these guys perform this year will be critical. Because the answer to a deficiency of big men is to play fast-break, three-point basketball, a style that seems anathema to DeCurie. He really is old-school. And to be successful old-school, you've got to have bulk and competence in the low post.

Can Owens bulk up? Will Bannan develop beyond the promise of his freshman year? Will Blakney fit into DeCuire's system?

Verdict is out.

I ate dinner at Applebees in Missoula last evening. The host who seated us was this humongous mountain of a kid. He looked to be Native American. I asked him how tall he was, and he stated that he was 7'2". He must have weighed 300 lbs to boot! He was HUGE! I asked him if he played basketball, and he said that he did in high school (from which he graduated last year!). I then asked him if he planned on playing in college, and he replied that he needed to work to pay bills. He was truly one of the most massive humans I have ever been around. Nobody would move this kid from the post.

He may not be very good at basketball, and his grades may prevent him from signing with a college to play. If any of you Missoulians eat at Applebees, check this dude out!

citay said:
As we head into year seven of the DeCuire regime, we can look back on any number of outstanding guard recruits--some among the best in the history of the program. But bona fide bigs? Not so many.

I can only identify three--Martin Breunig, Fabijan Kryslovic and Jamar Akoh. And only Akoh was a DeCuire recruit. Breunig was a redshirt senior DeCuire's first year, and Kryslovic a sophomore--both holdovers from the Tinkle era.

The list of washouts? Alphonso Anderson; Bryden Boehning; Admir Beslovic; Kelby Kramer; Karl Nicholas; Yagizhan Selcuk; Ben Carter; Michael Steadman; Darius Henderson.

In this regard we may be heading into the best year for bigs in DeCuire's seven year era: Kyle Owens, Josh Bannan and Scott Blakney. And while I don't think of Mack Anderson as a true big because of his slight build, he may be in the mix as well.

But how these guys perform this year will be critical. Because the answer to a deficiency of big men is to play fast-break, three-point basketball, a style that seems anathema to DeCurie. He really is old-school. And to be successful old-school, you've got to have bulk and competence in the low post.

Can Owens bulk up? Will Bannan develop beyond the promise of his freshman year? Will Blakney fit into DeCuire's system?

Verdict is out.

I agree with you that the "big" guys are going to be much better. But I also think the Griz were young last year and not physical across the board had some to do with their ages. They will all be stronger this year. But I think Travis went out and added strength to this roster. Blakney is 235 lbs., Johny Braggs is 6'3 and 200 lbs and looks strong. And Lonnell Martin is 6'4 210 lbs and also appears very physical. Add strength and physicality throughout the lineup will help the "bigs" on defense and on the boards.

UncleRico said:
citay said:

Verdict is out.

I agree with you that the "big" guys are going to be much better. But I also think the Griz were young last year and not physical across the board had some to do with their ages. They will all be stronger this year. But I think Travis went out and added strength to this roster. Blakney is 235 lbs., Johny Braggs is 6'3 and 200 lbs and looks strong. And Lonnell Martin is 6'4 210 lbs and also appears very physical. Add strength and physicality throughout the lineup will help the "bigs" on defense and on the boards.

The biggest is 235 lbs. ? that is a power forward that plays a center. A true big would or should be at least 250 minimum.
We can always hope.

fanofzoo said:
UncleRico said:

The biggest is 235 lbs. ? that is a power forward that plays a center. A true big would or should be at least 250 minimum.
We can always hope.
We can "hope":) Just for reference Tanner Groves is 235 lbs. If we get a 250 lbs post player that can play we go to another level.

flatheadgriz406 said:
FWIW Banan has had a great off season so far. You can tell he has put some time in the weight room.

Nice. We all saw what Fab did with his level of talent. With Banaan's ability the upside is sky high.

hunt-ducks said:
I ate dinner at Applebees in Missoula last evening. The host who seated us was this humongous mountain of a kid. He looked to be Native American. I asked him how tall he was, and he stated that he was 7'2". He must have weighed 300 lbs to boot! He was HUGE! I asked him if he played basketball, and he said that he did in high school (from which he graduated last year!). I then asked him if he planned on playing in college, and he replied that he needed to work to pay bills. He was truly one of the most massive humans I have ever been around. Nobody would move this kid from the post.

He may not be very good at basketball, and his grades may prevent him from signing with a college to play. If any of you Missoulians eat at Applebees, check this dude out!

Maybe Griz staff should get a bite to eat there, just for the fun of it. Loved Chavez and his energy!

Dillon said:
hunt-ducks said:

Maybe Griz staff should get a bite to eat there, just for the fun of it. Loved Chavez and his energy!

I have no idea if this kid has any ability, only that he is one of the most massive young kids I have ever seen. I wonder where he played high school ball? If in Montana, i'm sure many folks would know something about him, being he is such a freak of nature.

Back