• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Sayeed Pridgett

Saw today that Sayeed has earned a training camp spot with the Pelicans G-League team, the Birmingham Squadron. He was one of three signed after a tryout. Excited to see what this opportunity brings.

https://birmingham.gleague.nba.com/news/birmingham-squadron-announce-2021-training-camp-roster/

ValleyGriz said:
Saw today that Sayeed has earned a training camp spot with the Pelicans G-League team, the Birmingham Squadron. He was one of three signed after a tryout. Excited to see what this opportunity brings.

https://birmingham.gleague.nba.com/news/birmingham-squadron-announce-2021-training-camp-roster/

One of my favorite Griz players in the last 10 years. If he were 3-4 inches taller, he would be playing in the NBA. Great moves in the paint!

hunt-ducks said:
ValleyGriz said:

One of my favorite Griz players in the last 10 years. If he were 3-4 inches taller, he would be playing in the NBA. Great moves in the paint!

Sayeed was a point guard in high school. The only reason he was forced to play in the post at Montana was because that's where he was needed. With more depth up front, he would have played the point here as well.

At 6'5", with his ability to post up smaller guards, I think he has a great future in pro ball, if moved back to point guard. So I don't think it's a matter of height with him but rather of playing out of position here.

citay said:
hunt-ducks said:

Sayeed was a point guard in high school. The only reason he was forced to play in the post at Montana was because that's where he was needed. With more depth up front, he would have played the point here as well.

At 6'5", with his ability to post up smaller guards, I think he has a great future in pro ball, if moved back to point guard. So I don't think it's a matter of height with him but rather of playing out of position here.

I feel his best opportunity would be as a poor man's PJ Tucker. They are both about 6'5, P.J is a little heavier, but both are very strong. I feel SP is more athletic. I think like P.J., SP could be very switchable on D and can defend 1-3. In some cases he could defend the 4 when other teams go small ball.

I have a difficult time seeing him as a PG. In order to be a reserve PG, you have to be solid with the ball and be able to shoot. I think a PG should be a minimum 2.0 A/TO ratio and be able to shoot the 3. He had more TOs than assists at Montana and his A/TO ratio was 1.2 in Greece. While his 3PG% in Greece (39%) was better than his career 30% at Montana, he still doesn't make enough at a high enough volume. He also only shot 63 FT% in Greece and shot 67% for his career at Montana. Could he improve his shooting? Definitely. But right now it does not seem like a strength.

While I do believe he can carve out a niche, I just don't think it is at PG.

GrizBall said:
citay said:

I feel his best opportunity would be as a poor man's PJ Tucker. They are both about 6'5, P.J is a little heavier, but both are very strong. I feel SP is more athletic. I think like P.J., SP could be very switchable on D and can defend 1-3. In some cases he could defend the 4 when other teams go small ball.

I have a difficult time seeing him as a PG. In order to be a reserve PG, you have to be solid with the ball and be able to shoot. I think a PG should be a minimum 2.0 A/TO ratio and be able to shoot the 3. He had more TOs than assists at Montana and his A/TO ratio was 1.2 in Greece. While his 3PG% in Greece (39%) was better than his career 30% at Montana, he still doesn't make enough at a high enough volume. He also only shot 63 FT% in Greece and shot 67% for his career at Montana. Could he improve his shooting? Definitely. But right now it does not seem like a strength.

citay said:
GrizBall said:

[/quote

Please don't spoil my opinions with facts!

But..."point" well taken.

GrizBall said:
citay said:

I agree. Not sure he can handle the ball well enough to play the point. And he has limited shooting range to play the "2" guard spot. He is really a tweener, not tall enough to be an NBA forward, but not skilled enough shooting/dribbling to be an NBA guard.

citay said:
citay said:
[/quote

Please don't spoil my opinions with facts!

But..."point" well taken.

i love the guy but his outside release on is J is also not super quick as well. Playing in the post for his career here helped that aspect of his game as he's extremely clever around the rim (some of his up and unders evoked Kevin McHale ) but it hurt the perimeter skills that would keep him on an NBA roster IMO. I hope he can up his game and being the hard worker he is it's certainly possible.

ValleyGriz said:

Congrats Sayeed!

Back