• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Lady Griz 5-1 Start best since 2002!

HookedonGriz

DONOR
Pretty damn incredible for Holsinger and staff

https://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky-conference/university-of-montana/november-to-remember-montana-lady-griz-bury-nicholls-state-improve-to-5-1/article_85afb603-b52f-5f04-83d8-8e9807deda73.html

Holsinger came in with a reputation for recruiting but now he's also showing his coaching chops. So far the strength of this team has been the returning players. And no doubt they elevated their games under Holsinger, the while his active recruits so far--Polymeni, Tsineke and Kiefer--have not been major contributors to this team's success. If he proves to be a great recruiter too, this program is in for some serious respect.

Meantime, our first conference game is against the coach that was under serious consideration for Holsinger's job, Mark Campbell, the ex-Oregon assistant. I see this as the beginning of a spirited rivalry.

citay said:
Holsinger came in with a reputation for recruiting but now he's also showing his coaching chops. So far the strength of this team has been the returning players. And no doubt they elevated their games under Holsinger, the while his active recruits so far--Polymeni, Tsineke and Kiefer--have not been major contributors to this team's success. If he proves to be a great recruiter too, this program is in for some serious respect.

Meantime, our first conference game is against the coach that was under serious consideration for Holsinger's job, Mark Campbell, the ex-Oregon assistant. I see this as the beginning of a spirited rivalry.

I really think the OSU coach hired away by UW (Katie Faulkner) was the main recruiter, while Holsinger was very involved in coaching. At least, that is what I've read.

Rumor mask ON: As for Campbell, I've heard he was asked to find another job by Graves. He seems to have had a pension for taking over the huddle conversations while head coach was talking. Like I said, this is what I heard. Mask OFF.

GrizBaba said:
citay said:

I really think the OSU coach hired away by UW (Katie Faulkner) was the main recruiter, while Holsinger was very involved in coaching. At least, that is what I've read.

Rumor mask ON: As for Campbell, I've heard he was asked to find another job by Graves. He seems to have had a pension for taking over the huddle conversations while head coach was talking. Like I said, this is what I heard. Mask OFF.
GrizBaba said:
citay said:

Refresh my memory. Did Katie apply for the job here?

citay said:

Now you have me doubting myself, but I think she was one of the "finalists" for the job.

As for starting 5 - 1, the LGriz have a huge amount to be proud of. They'll be the first to say, "There's a long road ahead before I pat myself on the back!" I'm looking forward to watching a lot of games this winter.

GrizBaba said:
citay said:

Now you have me doubting myself, but I think she was one of the "finalists" for the job.

As for starting 5 - 1, the LGriz have a huge amount to be proud of. They'll be the first to say, "There's a long road ahead before I pat myself on the back!" I'm looking forward to watching a lot of games this winter.

She was not a finalist.

But it doesn’t count since we don’t have enough Montana kids, right PR?

Meanwhile, his 2 that he claimed were all world and I claimed were not so far this season.

Momberg- 5 PPG on 41% shooting for UM Western against NAIA comp

Battle- under 5 PPG on 35.5 FG% for MSU

Wya now, PR?

UMFan12 said:

Meanwhile, his 2 that he claimed were all world and I claimed were not so far this season.

Wya now, PR?

Be careful what you wish for.

Ursa Major said:
UMFan12 said:

Wya now, PR?

Be careful what you wish for.

Well put Kemo Sabi! :thumb: :D

UMFan12 said:

Wya now, PR?

Momberg's hit 1 of 14 threes in the past 5 games she's played.....

In fairness to Momberg, in the first game of the season, she shot 4-5 from three point range, 5-8 overall, and was the leading scorer. She played 27 minutes, which was tied for first on the team. Shortly after that, she went home for almost two weeks due to a death in the family. When she went home, she was shooting 54% from the field. She is now back practicing and trying to work herself back into game shape and the lineup. Her high school teammate Lily Gopher stepped into the starting lineup and has played well. Western is 6-1.

mthoopsfan said:
In fairness to Momberg, in the first game of the season, she shot 4-5 from three point range, 5-8 overall, and was the leading scorer. She played 27 minutes, which was tied for first on the team. Shortly after that, she went home for almost two weeks due to a death in the family. When she went home, she was shooting 54% from the field. She is now back practicing and trying to work herself back into game shape and the lineup. Her high school teammate Lily Gopher stepped into the starting lineup and has played well. Western is 6-1.

I noticed she missed a couple early games. Sorry for her family loss and wish her the best at Western. That said, I don't think the Lady Griz miss her much and she is probably in a better spot for her own development.

Back