• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Oregon

I don’t know if it was this game or what but from the looks of tonight’s performance Travis has lost this team. I hope I’m wrong but if tonight’s game is indicative of our performance going into league we’re screwed. I can’t believe Vasquez and Owens were shadows of past performance. It wouldn’t surprise me to see one or both of them in the transfer portal.

grizonbob said:
Oregon has been very aggressive on D. Including a full-court press and traps at half-court that have really given the Griz the fits. They can't get into any kind of rhythm offensively, and are resorting to a one-on-one stuff that gets them deeper in a hole.

Maybe the only good thing about the game is that it will provide film that shows what not to do.

I would have to see a replay, but every team presses at some point, they should be able to react to it...

Mike Montgomery did color on the PAC 12 network. He has a close relationship Travis. His quotes:

“I could not diagram the Montana offense.”

“Oregon is too big down low. They’re dominating Montana in the paint.”

“Montana has gone five minutes without a field goal.”

Later: “Montana has gone five minutes without a field goal.” (Second such stretch in the game.)

My message to our coaching staff:

Our kids are great. I love ‘em! No quit in this bunch.

So:

Recruit better and coach better. Or don’t put our kids in situations where they will be humiliated!

This was an embarrassment to the fan base and most especially to the proud tradition that is Montana basketball.

Oregon’s bigs are physical, athletic, and yet not offensive juggernauts. This Duck says you press us as much as we press you, and some schools in conference will.

What also happened was, after a couple bad shooting games, Oregon came out more determined than Dana Altman usually wants to see in November and December. Altman usually keeps some games close, tries stuff to see if it works, waits for conference play, takes a handful of losses along the way, and doesn’t really think twice about it because his teams are very ready in March. So this is perhaps what happens when the conference starts play earlier in December. You’ve been blessed with a demonstration on how much improvement is necessary for you. I wouldn’t shy away from that in the future.

Sport said:
I don’t know if it was this game or what but from the looks of tonight’s performance Travis has lost this team. I hope I’m wrong but if tonight’s game is indicative of our performance going into league we’re screwed. I can’t believe Vasquez and Owens were shadows of past performance. It wouldn’t surprise me to see one or both of them in the transfer portal.

I hear they will be, not sure why they are both getting shafted but Travis seems to have taken their confidence and it's obvious they are both unhappy and out of sorts. They werent out played to start the year but it's clear that Travis has his favorites. When you treat your players that way and destroy their moral it shows and I can't understand what they did to deserve that. Vasquez seemed really out of it today and Owens hasn't been himself either and thats on the coaches. I coached Eddy so I may have taken things more emotional than I should have in the past but somethings are becoming to obvious and I'm just sharing my thoughts. If you remember I mentioned that players would leave last season and some did. I'm hearing rumblings of that happening again at the end of this year if not sooner so you may be right. It's unfortunate but the writing is on the wall and it seems to be a pattern for Travis. This will really hurt Socal recruiting for Montana as people are starting to really take notice. Just my 2cents and if asked around the circuit I won't hold back.

Callithowiseeit said:
Sport said:

I hear they will be, not sure why they are both getting shafted but Travis seems to have taken their confidence and it's obvious they are both unhappy and out of sorts. They werent out played to start the year but it's clear that Travis has his favorites. When you treat your players that way and destroy their moral it shows and I can't understand what they did to deserve that. Vasquez seemed really out of it today and Owens hasn't been himself either and thats on the coaches. I coached Eddy so I may have taken things more emotional than I should have in the past but somethings are becoming to obvious and I'm just sharing my thoughts. If you remember I mentioned that players would leave last season and some did. I'm hearing rumblings of that happening again at the end of this year if not sooner so you may be right. It's unfortunate but the writing is on the wall and it seems to be a pattern for Travis. This will really hurt Socal recruiting for Montana as people are starting to really take notice. Just my 2cents and if asked around the circuit I won't hold back.

Ok, well you have expert knowledge of the situation then. Maybe a coaching change is exactly what's needed. It worked for the Ladies so far.

Sport said:
In all the years, 7 to be exact, that I’ve been watching Travis bb this is without a doubt the most uninspired team I’ve witnessed to date. Totally out of control.

I believe there was some conversation about that LAST year as well...seems to be a growing concern...

citay said:
Mike Montgomery did color on the PAC 12 network. He has a close relationship Travis. His quotes:

Later: “Montana has gone five minutes without a field goal.” (Second such stretch in the game.)

So:

Recruit better and coach better. Or don’t put our kids in situations where they will be humiliated!

This was an embarrassment to the fan base and most especially to the proud tradition that is Montana basketball.

Exactly! Well said

I was watching SAC against Arizona just before the Montana game. They looked totally outmatched and my thought was Montana will fare better against Oregon. Spoke too soon

citay said:

So:

You're the guy who's been telling us how great all these 6'2" guards are and that Travis is on the verge of taking Griz to a higher level. What's happening? These were all some of the best recruits ever to Montana, "P5" guards, etc.....

Now you act like you want Griz to move to NAIA where the "kids" are more their size!

My observations for the past few years of Travis’s tenure is that individual players and I’m not going to name names have not improved their shooting or athleticism. By that I mean their on court performance has not improved, they do not appear to have added weight or bulk to compete with other teams even in the BSC. It’s either a recruiting issue or training issue or what but I don’t know. I thought last night when Vasquez and Owens were on the floor their demeanor and shooting lacked confidence. Granted Oregon is a very good team but our performance was an embarrassment to Griz basketball.
From the very beginning I have been a strong supporter of Travis and I don’t feel a change in coaches is warranted but maybe his staff may need some adjustments. We seem to recruit good guards but the 3 through 5 spots have not been our strengths. Until we can recruit these positions we will not be a factor in the BSC. As evidenced by last nights 15 rebound something has gotta change.

Sheesh. That was ugly. I watched Saint Mary's handle Oregon, saw that BYU dominated Oregon. This isn't the talented Oregon team that smacked us a couple years ago with Payton Pritchard and Chris Duarte. Their bigs are athletically imposing but not very skilled.

What really stuck out to me when Oregon played Saint Mary's was how bad Oregon's off-ball defense was. They were constantly ball watching, losing their man, making late switches that created open shots or mismatches. Saint Marys destroyed them by their off-ball actions, got great shots, and won the game. Plus they have a crafty pg who made Oregon's big pay for sitting back in ball screens. Saint Marys, from an athletic perspective had no chance of beating Oregon, but they were way more skilled and use on offensive scheme to create easy looks. There was not a lot of 1v1 going on.

Last night was the complete opposite. We're stagnant off the ball, we're ball screen heavy, and we rely on our guards to break down superior athletes to create offensive opportunity. Why does Josh B never get easy looks? Why does Beasley take so many contested shots? Why are we turning the ball over so much trying to get to the paint?

For a mid-major playing a P5 program, the equalizer will always be skill (less talented, shorter, slower but better shooting, IQ, team cohesion, etc) and scheme (4-5 year guys who have been in the program and know the system inside and out). We don't have a scheme conducive to beating P5 teams because we are trying to play like them....ball screens and dribble drive. We aren't even the most athletic team in the Big Sky.

It will be interesting to see how this strategy plays out against the best teams in the conference. My guess is wildly inconsistent. There will be games where we take and make tough shots and have great individual performances, and games where we struggle to score 60 because our opponent is equally if not more talented, game plans well, or we just don't have solid individual performances.

Cuervohola said:
.I'm surprised nobody has started a thread yet..

I'm here to ask if they are rushing the Threes since they made the first 2?

I think they need to settle down, but I don't get the game on TV

"I'm surprised nobody has started a thread yet.."
Actually just forgot about this game, barely missed any games last 3-4 years, but this team is so hopeless they actually have me feeling indifferent...maybe the same for others and hence nobody fired up to get a game thread going. When I say "hopeless" I dont mean to be disparaging I think they can compete for top of BSC, but the ceiling for this team is pretty low and seems to be made of reinforced 4ft thick concrete due to team comp and more so just general program philosophy. Going to grind out games with slow drive and slash offense and fundamentally sound solid D (not good, tired of that narrative...when good players take the ball at us they score our D doesnt punch above its weight.) Basically, we our built to win based on athleticism cause we can't shoot 40% from wide open. That works fine when we face similar teams, but their is literally no mystery what is going to happen when we dont have an athletic advantage...so it makes it a bit of a "hopeless" endeavor even if you get to the Big Dance...going to lose by 35pts.
This team is like an FCS football team built around O Line and D Line. Run the ball on 1st and 2nd down every drive and stop the Run on D...If you got a solid O line and D Line this can be a consistent formula for winning games 21-14, but once you go against a FBS team with a D line that can push your O Line around you are literally helpless...You need some creativity and diverse weapons (See EWU Football) to have a chance to punch above your weight.
Anyway this team looks just like last year...Dont have the Rorie and Ogunie to win the way we want to but keep trying the same formula anyway...can't help feel a bit hopeless because the current philosophy doesnt seem to be one that gets the best our of what we have and if our play style doesnt change I don't really expect the players to improve because they are not being put in positions to succeed.

fanofzoo said:
AZGrizFan said:
This season is gonna look a lot like last season, I believe. And not in a good way.

I thought TD needed a good year to get to UW.

I doubt that Travis is even on UW’s radar anymore. They have very deep pockets and would go after a high profile coach.

Back