• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Attendance figures

'68griz

People complain endlessly about attendance away from Missoula at other BSC venues, in both basketball and football, claiming if the Griz would only move to a "better" conference, attendance would vastly improve. Well, tonight Gonzaga, the #2 team in the country, played at Santa Clara in California ... and the attendance was 1100. Is that the Griz goal?

'68griz said:
People complain endlessly about attendance away from Missoula at other BSC venues, in both basketball and football, claiming if the Griz would only move to a "better" conference, attendance would vastly improve. Well, tonight Gonzaga, the #2 team in the country, played at Santa Clara in California ... and the attendance was 1100. Is that the Griz goal?

Uh, you are aware Santa Clara is limiting attendance to 25% capacity, no?

So 25% attendance still tops most bsc (#bsc) games at full capacity.

So yeah, I’d say getting out of the bsc (#bsc) should absolutely be the goal.

EverettGriz said:
'68griz said:

Uh, you are aware Santa Clara is limiting attendance to 25% capacity, no?

So 25% attendance still tops most bsc (#bsc) games at full capacity.

So yeah, I’d say getting out of the bsc (#bsc) should absolutely be the goal.

Case in point---the Oregon at UCLA game Friday night in Pauley looked like a masoleum. The limited capacities are tough.

Fold your poker hands, folks. By ANY and EVERY statistical measure, Evertt has a winning hand and a winning argument when any discussion regarding membership in the Big Sky Conf. takes place.

1. The simple attendance figures and actual $$ gate revenues of football equate one clear fact: Montana has historically financially subsidized the Big Sky Conf. Only one other Big Sky school -- Montana State -- comes close to UM in total attendance figures… primarily in football. This year, MSU's attendance figures were pretty good… standing at 153,400 for a per-game average of 19,175 for eight games. In comparison, Montana's per-game average home attendance was 24,630 and in seven home games (one less than MSU) the total gross number of paid-attendance fans equaled 172,085. That’s Approximately 20k MORE than MSU for one-less home game. Take this only one step further: That is, NO other Big Sky school comes close. Furthemore...

2. When paid attendance stats for ALL sports are included, NO other Big Sky school is even in the same stadium (or ballpark) with Montana's total fan stats. The Big Sky does not include average attendance figures for several sports, but a cursory look at Montana's attendance stats provides a CLEAR contrast. Basketball you say? Currently Montana's average attendance for men's conference BB games is 3321 compared to Weber State's 3089 and Montana State's 2960 (which includes last week's Griz-Cat game in Bozeman). Through ALL women's basketball games so far this season, Montana's per-game average is 2169 compared to Montana State's 1280. No other Big Sky school seems capable of breaking over a measly 500-per game in average women’s hoops attendance (Weber State's average is 181). In fact, Montana's home average attendance for last season's softball games was 262, approx 100-per game above the average of ALL GrizSB road games (and they played at some major school tourneys). Montana's volleyball team home gate average was 503 compared to the conference average (a fairly accurate estimate here... some schools don't keep vb stats) of approximately 375 (significant, because Weber State, Idaho and ISU support their VB teams well).

3. My belief is that IF paid-gate statistics for all Big Sky sports were added up, Montana would be clearly the top school in the conference... by a LARGE total. My guess (which is a wild guess, I admit) is that Montana's paid-gate stats for all sports would be comparable to many in the Mountain West conference.

4. There is only ONE statistic that would warrant keeping Montana in the Big Sky Conf.... average school student enrollment. Montana (fall 2021--11,106) is bunched toward the bottom in total student enrollment with: Idaho (11,303), EWU (10,892), UNC (11460), SUU (12,582) and ISU (12,157). Montana State is at the middle of the Big Sky in student enrollment with 16,218 while SAC, PSU, NAU and Weber State all have student enrollment populations in excess of 25K.

You are welcome and invited to contest these figures...OR statistics in general as a means of determing where/how a school should be coference-affiliated.

grizzlyjournal said:
Fold your poker hands, folks. By ANY and EVERY statistical measure, Evertt has a winning hand and a winning argument when any discussion regarding membership in the Big Sky Conf. takes place.

1. The simple attendance figures and actual $$ gate revenues of football equate one clear fact: Montana has historically financially subsidized the Big Sky Conf. Only one other Big Sky school -- Montana State -- comes close to UM in total attendance figures… primarily in football. This year, MSU's attendance figures were pretty good… standing at 153,400 for a per-game average of 19,175 for eight games. In comparison, Montana's per-game average home attendance was 24,630 and in seven home games (one less than MSU) the total gross number of paid-attendance fans equaled 172,085. That’s Approximately 20k MORE than MSU for one-less home game. Take this only one step further: That is, NO other Big Sky school comes close. Furthemore...

2. When paid attendance stats for ALL sports are included, NO other Big Sky school is even in the same stadium (or ballpark) with Montana's total fan stats. The Big Sky does not include average attendance figures for several sports, but a cursory look at Montana's attendance stats provides a CLEAR contrast. Basketball you say? Currently Montana's average attendance for men's conference BB games is 3321 compared to Weber State's 3089 and Montana State's 2960 (which includes last week's Griz-Cat game in Bozeman). Through ALL women's basketball games so far this season, Montana's per-game average is 2169 compared to Montana State's 1280. No other Big Sky school seems capable of breaking over a measly 500-per game in average women’s hoops attendance (Weber State's average is 181). In fact, Montana's home average attendance for last season's softball games was 262, approx 100-per game above the average of ALL GrizSB road games (and they played at some major school tourneys). Montana's volleyball team home gate average was 503 compared to the conference average (a fairly accurate estimate here... some schools don't keep vb stats) of approximately 375 (significant, because Weber State, Idaho and ISU support their VB teams well).

3. My belief is that IF paid-gate statistics for all Big Sky sports were added up, Montana would be clearly the top school in the conference... by a LARGE total. My guess (which is a wild guess, I admit) is that Montana's paid-gate stats for all sports would be comparable to many in the Mountain West conference.

4. There is only ONE statistic that would warrant keeping Montana in the Big Sky Conf.... average school student enrollment. Montana (fall 2021--11,106) is bunched toward the bottom in total student enrollment with: Idaho (11,303), EWU (10,892), UNC (11460), SUU (12,582) and ISU (12,157). Montana State is at the middle of the Big Sky in student enrollment with 16,218 while SAC, PSU, NAU and Weber State all have student enrollment populations in excess of 25K.

You are welcome and invited to contest these figures...OR statistics in general as a means of determing where/how a school should be coference-affiliated.

I do not disagree with a word you say here. My point was not to denigrate UM attendance, but simply to point out that other conferences have some similar attendance figures. Big Sky very certainly is not the worst.

'68griz said:
grizzlyjournal said:

I do not disagree with a word you say here. My point was not to denigrate UM attendance, but simply to point out that other conferences have some similar attendance figures. Big Sky very certainly is not the worst.

Except your example actually hurts your point not proves it.

It will not come as a surprise to anyone (perhaps excepting 68) that the 2019 (pre-pandemic) attendance for the Gonzaga @ Santa Clara game was 100% capacity, of just over 6,000.

According to the Knight Commission for Intercollegiate Athletics, ticket sales for all sports in 2020 were as follows: UM - 5,680,000; MSU - 3,790,000; Weber - 880,000; Sac - 880,000; EWU - 830,000; NAU - 360,000; Idaho - 350,000; UNC - 340,000; ISU - 290,000; PSU - 270,000; and SUU - 200,000.

The data is for the 2019 - 2020 academic year.

GRIZ PHAN said:
According to the Knight Commission for Intercollegiate Athletics, ticket sales for all sports in 2020 were as follows: UM - 5,680,000; MSU - 3,790,000; Weber - 880,000; Sac - 880,000; EWU - 830,000; NAU - 360,000; Idaho - 350,000; UNC - 340,000; ISU - 290,000; PSU - 270,000; and SUU - 200,000.

Thanks for this, GRIZ PHAN. These numbers show Montana's stature w/regard to the Big Sky Conference in brief, clear terms. I think the numbers also explain why the Big Sky is so focused (wrongly in my view) to promote its post-season men's and women's basketball tourneys in a neutral site.

In my opinion, it further supports the arguments that EverettGriz has been articulating about the Big Sky for the past several years.

grizzlyjournal said:
GRIZ PHAN said:

Thanks for this, GRIZ PHAN. These numbers show Montana's stature w/regard to the Big Sky Conference in brief, clear terms. I think the numbers also explain why the Big Sky is so focused (wrongly in my view) to promote its post-season men's and women's basketball tourneys at a "neutral" site.

In my opinion, it further supports the arguments that EverettGriz has been articulating about the Big Sky for the past several years.

GRIZ PHAN said:

Holy Shyt!

Wow. Consider this: Just ONE Lady Griz game vs. msu provides more revenue than SIX bsc program's entire annual revenue.

And yet many believe we still belong in the bsc.

Can you imagine how much $$$ the Big Sky Conference would make if it held its annual post-season men's and women's basketball tournament in... Missoula? :D

grizzlyjournal said:
Can you imagine how much $$$ the Big Sky Conference would make if it held its annual post-season men's and women's basketball tournament in... Missoula? :D

It would certainly be way better than being in Boise :)

I can't believe, STILL, they didn't get this done in Las Vegas

Back