• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

GRIZ PSU

What an abysmal free throw shooting performance. I guess clutch crunch time FT shooter we have is Bannan. Even Parker who’s like Virtually 100% missed the front end of a 1 and 1 down the stretch. That was a physical game. That big man for PSU is a player. They were outstanding in the paint and on the glass. Any road win is a good win. Onto NAU!

Wow, we’re not going to win many games playing like we did tonight. Let’s blame it on the 16 days between games. We are so guard oriented that it’s like watching paint dry. And our free throw shooting tonight was abysmal. It had to be under 50%. Very uncharacteristic of this team. I will avoid criticism, good teams win the close ones. But hard to call a good team at this point. I think we were 1 for 8 from the free throw line down the stretch.
On to flagstaff and a better showing.

HelenaHandBasket said:
A road win is a good win, but all the missed free throws almost bit them in the butt.
About the only consolation. The Griz barely won over a (4-10) team that has just two D-I wins. They should have blown the Vikings off the court.

Cannot figure this Griz team. They seem to have talented players, but also manage to play at an absolute s**t level at times.

A few thoughts:

1. No one is happy with a close win here, but it's a road conference win, and those are always precious no matter how they look.

2. This is the type of game the GRIZ used to lose consistently. Great to see them do what needed to be done to get the W.

3. The GRIZ hadn't played a game in 2 weeks. They were rusty. Shit happens.

4. Portland (aint a) State is a tough team to prepare for. You simply can't sim their style. The GRIZ took care of the basketball against the pressure (9 turnovers), and didn't get crushed on the boards (what psu thrives on). Had it not been for an abnormally tough shooting night from the floor and the line (shit happens), the GRIZ win this game in the manner we all expected.

5. I predict at least two of the top 5 bsc teams lose a game in Portland before this thing is over.

EverettGriz said:
A few thoughts:

2. This is the type of game the GRIZ used to lose consistently. Great to see them do what needed to be done to get the W.

This is what I was thinking. Last year the Griz would have likely found a way to lose this game. This year we pulled it out. That's improvement.

Agreed on all points. For as much as I dislike the Griz offensive flow, they play hard, hustle and play solid D (even if a bit foul prone) and more often than not, they win. Kudos to the team for a tough road win. An ugly win is better than a pretty loss!

IdaGriz01 said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
A road win is a good win, but all the missed free throws almost bit them in the butt.
About the only consolation. The Griz barely won over a (4-10) team that has just two D-I wins. They should have blown the Vikings off the court.

Cannot figure this Griz team. They seem to have talented players, but also manage to play at an absolute s**t level at times.
I understand your frustration, but I thought PSU played better than a 4-10 team last night. They played pretty well defensively and lived in the paint unlike any other team I've seen this year. They nearly knocked off SUU in Cedar City on Monday night before it got away from them late, like it did last night. They're tough to beat at home. I wouldn't be surprised to see them beat the cats tomorrow, especially since the cats are without Adamu.

Well I guess I won't see any of you in Boise for the tournament. Funny thing is some of you expect the Griz to not only win they must win big and be entertaining. The team was off two weeks in the middle of the season and PSU was trying to win too.

LaJollaGriz said:
I just hate the style of basketball the Griz play. It's like watching the grass grow. No wonder attendance is down for UM home games. It has got to hurt recruiting too. No high school kid wants to play that style of BB.
Did it ever occur to you that maybe the reason why attendance is down this year has something to do with the fact that everybody and their dog has COVID???? I realize there's people on here who don't think it's that serious or that COVID's not gonna hurt them right now, but with how badly it's spreading right now, I can guarantee you that's what's deterring people away from attending games. You do realize we're 12-6 and 5-2 in conference right? We're a game back of 1st place right now. It's not the brand of basketball. I'm sorry if it's not easy to watch on your eyes but I don't think the style of play has anything to do with the attendance this year considering they're winning and they're undefeated at home!

Griz til I die said:
LaJollaGriz said:
I just hate the style of basketball the Griz play. It's like watching the grass grow. No wonder attendance is down for UM home games. It has got to hurt recruiting too. No high school kid wants to play that style of BB.
Did it ever occur to you that maybe the reason why attendance is down this year has something to do with the fact that everybody and their dog has COVID???? I realize there's people on here who don't think it's that serious or that COVID's not gonna hurt them right now, but with how badly it's spreading right now, I can guarantee you that's what's deterring people away from attending games. You do realize we're 12-6 and 5-2 in conference right? We're a game back of 1st place right now. It's not the brand of basketball. I'm sorry if it's not easy to watch on your eyes but I don't think the style of play has anything to do with the attendance this year considering they're winning and they're undefeated at home!

It's a troll. Just ignore it.

Watched the stream of Montana's 66-64 win over PSU and -- other than the uncharacteristic slew of missed free throws over the final 5 minutes -- came to the solid conclusion that this very gritty team is just now starting to develop cohesive character.
Montana's defense was outstanding, belying the fact that PSU scored 50 points in the paint. The Vikings have several very capable ball-handling aggressive players and yet the Griz really took away their wing attack.

I agree strongly with the other post herein on the Future Being Bright for this team. This is still a relatively young team that gains a bit more multi-faceted & cohesive attack every game on both ends of the floor. I watch Montana's play at both ends of the floor (not just offense :) ) and I really like what I'm seeing.

It's tough to win on ANY Big Sky court on the road, but last night Montana made a run at the 7-minute mark that proved sterling. I think this team will be in the thick of things over the next few weeks. Go Griz.

The lack of respect this board is giving to PSU is almost comical:

1. Their leading scorer was Damion Squire with 17. His first game of the season was 1/15 due to an injury. Last night was his first start.
2. Second leading scorer with 16 (9 rebounds in only 20 mins) was James Jean-Marie. He missed the 12/30 and 1/15 games battling back from an injury.
3. Third leading scorer with 11 was Khalid Thomas. Thomas transferred from Arizona St.
4. Fourth leading scorer with 10 was Michael Carter. Carter started his career at UW.

PSU just gave SUU all it could handle at SUU.

EverettGriz said:
Griz til I die said:

So everyone who doesn't drink the Kool-Aid and makes a comment about the style of play is a troll? PSU has won two games against Division I teams. They are horrible. Spin it any way you like. If you are happy with every win, just because it is a win, that;s your prerogative. I prefer to watch an exciting brand of basketball, and the Griz playing a boring brand of basketball. You obviously never played the game. If you don't like my opinion, I don't care. I stand by it.

LaJollaGriz said:
EverettGriz said:

So everyone who doesn't drink the Kool-Aid and makes a comment about the style of play is a troll? PSU has won two games against Division I teams. They are horrible. Spin it any way you like. If you are happy with every win, just because it is a win, that;s your prerogative. I prefer to watch an exciting brand of basketball, and the Griz playing a boring brand of basketball. You obviously never played the game. If you don't like my opinion, I don't care. I stand by it.

Hey, we have something in common! I stand by my opinion as well.

Griz til I die said:
LaJollaGriz said:

That's me.

Back