• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Warriors Memo to Griz

citygriz

You all know I'm a Warriors fan. But I can't exactly gloat over the Warriors right now because I confess I was the last one to see this coming.

After all, the Celtics were bigger, taller, younger, more athletic than the Warriors. They'd played a much tougher schedule to get to the Finals, having taken out Kyrie and Durant in a four-game sweep, then beaten both the Bucks and the Heat in seven games. They were the #1 rated defense in the NBA. And, like the rest of the league, they'd pretty much caught up with the one edge the Warriors used to have, three-point shooting.

It all reminded me of our Griz going up against a Power Five #1 or #2 seed at the Big Dance. So how do you defeat a bigger better team, toughened by a more difficult schedule?

Sure, it helps to have the incomparable Steph Curry on your side. But after a horrendous first game where the Warriors dominated all but the final quarter, they won four of the next five games, two on Boston's hallowed parkay home court.

There were two critical keys.

One, "strength in numbers." I always thought this was just a phrase that meant little but in this series the Warriors got key contributions from four non-starters: Poole, Payton, Porter and Bjelica (and many Warrior fans were clamoring for minutes from Kuminga.) The Celtics meanwhile, stuck to an EIGHT-man rotation--of which Pritchard and Grant Williams were pretty much ineffective, Robert Williams was hurt and Horford was 36. Going into the final game, I likened the Celtics to George Foreman against Muhammed Ali--they just looked tired. Spent. Ready for the knockout. In the final game, the Boston bench contributed five (!) points to the Warriors' 21.

Hmmm....EIGHT-man rotation. Does that sound familiar?

But second, the Warriors pushed the ball. You go back and watch that incredible 21-0 run they put on the Celtics to ice the final game, and they were blasting down the court--Green, Thompson, Poole...grab a rebound, turn and GO! Wiggins got two layups. Poole got open three's. Even the announcer said, "The Warriors don't want to face the Celtics' half-court defense." And they made a lot of that run with Curry on the bench to start the second quarter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMwdiky5Zcw

Pushing the ball--does that sound familiar to a Griz fan? It does not.

What sounds familiar to a Griz fan is w-a-l-k-i-n-g the wall up the court, to face a defense that's already in place, locked down, ready to defend. The EXACT thing the Warriors could not afford to do against the superior defense of the Celtics.

I believe the Griz now have a roster capable of playing Warriors-style basketball. Which is, they have rebounders. They have guys who can get out an run. And they have depth like perhaps they haven't had before.

I don't know how as a coach you can watch what the Warriors did to the Celtics and fail to take lessons from it--especially if you're a mid-major up against bigger, more athletic teams. I trust DeCuire was watching.

I love you citay, and yes we are all Well-Aware of your recent Warriors loyalty, but as Nell Carter would say "gimme-a-break" about being surprised about another bought title. :(~

Maybe it is just my hatred for the Warriors or something, but man you bring them up all the time.
The NBA and college ball are very different, and I just don't buy all the suggestions to make the Griz into GSW.

Also dislike that Kerr thinks he is a social justice warrior. I watch sports for entertainment.

Mavman said:
Maybe it is just my hatred for the Warriors or something, but man you bring them up all the time.
The NBA and college ball are very different, and I just don't buy all the suggestions to make the Griz into GSW.

Also dislike that Kerr thinks he is a social justice warrior. I watch sports for entertainment.

Whether you like Steve Kerr or not, you have to respect that he's got 9 freaking rings in the NBA now as a player and a head coach. That's insane. His political opinions are shaped from being extremely intelligent and having his Dad killed by Middle Eastern terrorists (his Dad was a political figure for the United States).

CopperGold14 said:
Mavman said:

Whether you like Steve Kerr or not, you have to respect that he's got 9 freaking rings in the NBA now as a player and a head coach. That's insane. His political opinions are shaped from being extremely intelligent and having his Dad killed by Middle Eastern terrorists (his Dad was a political figure for the United States).

What’s popovich’s excuse?

Mavman said:

I’ve never understood the stance that entertainers can’t have political opinions. Are we all not humans living on the same earth. “Dance for me Monkey, dance!”

That is why I sarcastically started a thread that the Griz were going to fast breaking this coming season. Wouldn't it SHOCK the Hell out of all of us if they did??????????????????????????????????????

AZGrizFan said:
CopperGold14 said:

What’s popovich’s excuse?
Pop is an Air Force Academy grad with a degree in Soviet Studies. He then served 5 years active duty as an Air Force Officer. Like Kerr he is a future Hall of Fame Coach.

Congratulations to Golden State.

As for sports, entertainment, social issues, and political issues. The NBA and its stars promoting political and social issues during their games, are exactly why I'm 2 years without watching a NBA game.

I've cut back on how many NFL and MLB games I watch as well.

Social and political issues don't belong during live broadcasts! Quit shoving agendas and narratives down our throats!

People have their free time to promote anything and everything they want!

As for Griz basketball,, let's just get back to being the best in the conference and learn to play with the big boys!

I predict that if we W.A.L.K the ball ball up the floor like we have every other year that we will be looking for 8 more players next year, with the portal in place, players won't put up with that style.

I think the Warriors are so unique that it is pretty hard to mimic what they do. My biggest take-away from the Warriors as it could be applicable to other teams is that it is possible to play fast and still have an elite defense.

I read an article awhile back that said the secret to pulling off upsets in the NCAA tournament is (contrary to popular belief) playing fast. Most think you have to play slow to take away the other team’s athleticism advantage.

CopperGold14 said:
Mavman said:

Why do you assume Kerr is extremely intelligent? He is obviously a great motivator/players coach , but no Einstein when it comes to hoops. He has a degree in General Studies, not rocket science…

Once again, another thread that has wobbled off the intended target.

This: That in attacking a bigger, younger, more athletic team with a top-rated defensive pedigree and an outstanding rim defender, the Warriors won in part because of a deeper rotation and an offensive philosophy of "attack, attack, attack before that great defense gets set."

Two elements missing in our mid-major program that both pre- and post- seasons can be guaranteed to face bigger, more athletic teams with outstanding defensive abilities and long lean quick rim defenders.

That's all.

GrizBall said:
I think the Warriors are so unique that it is pretty hard to mimic what they do. My biggest take-away from the Warriors as it could be applicable to other teams is that it is possible to play fast and still have an elite defense.

So their 4 titles in 8 years have nothing to do with having the most talent? (cue Nell Carter again). They play they same style of play as most NBA teams, they just have more talent. What else explains the Warriors 2019-20 season? It was still Steve Kerr coaching, but nobody can coach a winning team without talent.

Zirg said:
GrizBall said:

So their 4 titles in 8 years have nothing to do with having the most talent? (cue Nell Carter again). They play they same style of play as most NBA teams, they just have more talent. What else explains the Warriors 2019-20 season? It was still Steve Kerr coaching, but nobody can coach a winning team without talent.
You don't win the Kentucky Derby riding a mule. And it's not because mules aren't fine animals. We all have our 'thing'. Mine is to sit on my azz and second guess professional coaches. :lol:

wyomingriz said:
CopperGold14 said:

Why do you assume Kerr is extremely intelligent? He is obviously a great motivator/players coach , but no Einstein when it comes to hoops. He has a degree in General Studies, not rocket science…

Name one NBA coach that has a degree in rocket science.

alabamagrizzly said:
wyomingriz said:

I was speaking metaphorically, which appears to conveniently confuse you

wyomingriz said:
alabamagrizzly said:

I was speaking metaphorically, which appears to conveniently confuse you

Kerr has learned from the best. I've told this story before but it's worth repeating.

When he sat down for his initial interview with the Warriors he brought along a thick playbook. The Warriors brass complimented him on it.

"Oh," he said. "That's just the out-of-bounds plays."

Back