• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Griz Basketball 2022-23 Schedule Tracker

https://twitter.com/IdahoStateMBB/status/1538990367952949248?s=20&t=LaLGuC6WQiUlohbuj81HEw
Little sneak preview here at this seasons conference schedule, via Idaho State. No announcement from the league yet on the conference schedule, but the schools have clearly been made aware of their schedules since ISU has already put this out. Looks like no early December games, and the schedule basically goes back to the same 18 game format we used in 2017-18 season starting on December 29. Looks like we host ISU on Saturday January 14, and we go to Pocatello on Thursday February 9. I won't add these games in at the top until our entire conference schedule is released, but it's good to see that we're back to the old format. I thought that worked pretty well!

Zirg said:
Holy crap. I can't believe the Griz are playing St. Thomas. As much as I hate St. Thomas historically, they are an amazing success story. They were a small Catholic all-male D3 school not so long ago and now buoyed by deep-pocket alums have better facilities than most Big Sky schools and the enrollment rivals Montana-9878 to 10,100. After several years of beating their opponents 87-0 in football, the league kicked them out so they were forced to move-up and due to all the glut of quality talent in Minnesota, I predict they will be a FCS powerhouse in football in no time.

To be fair the MIAC that booted them gives zero s**ts about athletics outside of St. Johns. A few did when I went to Carleton in the 70's and they are all a lot smaller than St. Thomas enrollment wise.

Hoops watcher said:
Zirg said:
Holy crap. I can't believe the Griz are playing St. Thomas. As much as I hate St. Thomas historically, they are an amazing success story. They were a small Catholic all-male D3 school not so long ago and now buoyed by deep-pocket alums have better facilities than most Big Sky schools and the enrollment rivals Montana-9878 to 10,100. After several years of beating their opponents 87-0 in football, the league kicked them out so they were forced to move-up and due to all the glut of quality talent in Minnesota, I predict they will be a FCS powerhouse in football in no time.

To be fair the MIAC that booted them gives zero s**ts about athletics outside of St. Johns. A few did when I went to Carleton in the 70's and they are all a lot smaller than St. Thomas enrollment wise.

Exactly. St. Thomas had/has far-greater ambitions than the MIAC, and had no business in D3 the last cpl years

Hoops watcher said:
Zirg said:

I am a Johnnie (familiarly:my dad attended and I went to camp there every summer and had a cousin who was a priest/professor there), and they were the last school to give St. Thomas a run for their money in football. St. John's had an amazing football run under HOF coach Gagliardi (who started coaching at Carroll College in Montana,btw), but they never had a big enrollment and coach Gags never cut any players, and would dress 100+ players for home games and they all got to play at least 1 play. He never had contact practices after losing a star player early in his coaching career in practice, and everyone's participation usurped winning.

As you probably know, St. Thomas' final demise was when they kicked an on-side kick while winning 53-0 in the 4th quarter and punched in a 4th-and-goal TD to make it 60-0 in 2018 against a Carleton team coached by a St. Thomas alum/former asst, so that was really bush-league. When St. John's was winning big back in the day, they put in their 3rd strings and didn't TRY to run it up.

an aside:I realize that you if you are a Carleton grad, you are obviously highly intelligent and hopefully making a size-able salary. And while Carleton has never "give(n) zero sh**ts" about sports", some schools in the MIAC (St. John's and Concordia at least) DO care a little about sports.

Zirg said:
Hoops watcher said:

I am a Johnnie (familiarly:my dad attended and I went to camp there every summer and had a cousin who was a priest/professor there), and they were the last school to give St. Thomas a run for their money in football. St. John's had an amazing football run under HOF coach Gagliardi (who started coaching at Carroll College in Montana,btw), but they never had a big enrollment and coach Gags never cut any players, and would dress 100+ players for home games and they all got to play at least 1 play. He never had contact practices after losing a star player early in his coaching career in practice, and everyone's participation usurped winning.

As you probably know, St. Thomas' final demise was when they kicked an on-side kick while winning 53-0 in the 4th quarter and punched in a 4th-and-goal TD to make it 60-0 in 2018 against a Carleton team coached by a St. Thomas alum/former asst, so that was really bush-league. When St. John's was winning big back in the day, they put in their 3rd strings and didn't TRY to run it up.

an aside:I realize that you if you are a Carleton grad, you are obviously highly intelligent and hopefully making a size-able salary. And while Carleton has never "give(n) zero sh**ts" about sports", some schools in the MIAC (St. John's and Concordia at least) DO care a little about sports.
I didn't graduate from there. My brother is a Johnnie, several I played ball with and against in HS were Cobbers and they were serious back then about football. My best friend's nephew was about the last QB for Gagliardi pre retirement and he was back for the Tommie game which drew close to 20,000 at Collegeville. Historically sports were big, Carleton had a beautiful, old, brick football palace, probably dated from the 20's, but in 75 it was mostly empty. By then the Hamlines, Macalasters, Gustavuses really were more about intramurals ala Carleton. In fact when I was there we weren't in the MIAC but a league with Beloit, Coe, Ripon and others that emphasized varsity even less, Not even sure when they moved back to the Lutheran and Catholic league. The St. Thomas ambition wrt athletics are really not a fit in that league.

https://twitter.com/MontanaGrizWBB/status/1544729423676551168?s=20&t=r4ZPL3hNr0_yV_A9o2lWmQ
The women's conference schedule is out, which basically means the men's is out as well as the men's will just be the inverse of the women's. Conference play will start on Thursday December 29 when the men host Eastern. Kind of a tough game to start the conference slate off with, but at least it's in Missoula for the men. One thing I do want to note is because of the new conference tournament format which begins on Saturday instead of Monday, the conference had to make a slight adjustment and make every team play 2 Monday games, one of which will be the last Monday of the regular season. So on Monday January, 16 the men will go to Eastern and then we will close the regular season on Monday February 27 at Idaho. The men and women will host the cats on Saturday January, 21 and will play the cats in Bozeman on Saturday February, 18. I'll update the top of thread with the men's conference schedule.

November 29 @ Southern Miss. Southern Miss participated in last years Zootown Classic. As part of the agreement with Southern Miss to play in the Zootown Classic last season, we will now play them on their home court. We beat them up pretty good in Missoula last year, so I'm confident we can win this game.

https://twitter.com/MontanaGrizBB/status/1545090516919861249?s=20&t=SywhU4MMaEtWipYmi51KNg
And here's the official release for the men's conference schedule! All conference games and the road game at Southern Miss have been added to the top!

https://twitter.com/RoccoMiller8/status/1549102280212992002?s=20&t=HqZsaclc9nHMq5I6_OfzEA
This will without a doubt be our toughest game we play this season. Gonzaga on December 20th in Spokane. I've always wanted to go to a Zags game, and now I have good reason too.

This takes our total known non-conference games to 9, leaving 4 games for us to still uncover. Of these 9, 4 are at home (SDSU, Merrimack, St. Thomas, Troy), and 5 are on the road (Xavier, Gonzaga, S.Miss, Air Force, NDSU). We still don't know the dates for NDSU, SDSU, and Air Force. My guess is at least 2 of these 3 games will be in December, as the only known game we have in the month of December so far is Gonzaga. I would still expect at least one other money game (outside of Xavier and Gonzaga) maybe a PAC-12 team. I would also expect at least 1 non-D1 game, and then maybe another mid major home and road game to round out the schedule. This schedule already though, has the potential to be one of our toughest ever under Decuire. I think the only games that we can say are guaranteed wins are Merrimack and St. Thomas, but this schedule is BRUTAL!

Hallelujah. I have been ripping Gonzaga for years for refusing to play us. They are, literally, the closest (by car) D1 program to UM-at least a tie with Idaho and MSU and a former conference rival. Montana was the far-superior program to Gonzaga for 30-some years (70-late 90's) and we always played them, but once they became a powerhouse they thought they were too good for us. They still played Idaho/Eastern/Idaho State and Portland St during these past years-so don't give me the "Gonzaga doesn't wanna ruin their power ranking" by playing us. They played worse programs in the same time frame. I think it's an important tradition to continue. They use to come here every other year, but I guess I'm just happy they finally have the balls to play us anywhere after all these years.

Zirg said:
Hallelujah. I have been ripping Gonzaga for years for refusing to play us.

They use to come here every other year, but I guess I'm just happy they finally have the balls to play us anywhere after all these years.

I am sure that they can finally look at themselves in the mirror without the guilt. Thanks for your service in making this happen.

HelenaHandBasket said:
Zirg said:
Hallelujah. I have been ripping Gonzaga for years for refusing to play us.

They use to come here every other year, but I guess I'm just happy they finally have the balls to play us anywhere after all these years.

I am sure that they can finally look at themselves in the mirror without the guilt. Thanks for your service in making this happen.

Thanks for taking a personal swipe at me while contributing nothing to the convo.

Zirg said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

Thanks for taking a personal swipe at me while contributing nothing to the convo.

I don't think you contributed much to the conversation, just a bunch of talking out of your ass.

HelenaHandBasket said:
Zirg said:

I don't think you contributed much to the conversation, just a bunch of talking out of your ass.

I wouldn't brag about being unable to grasp my geographic and historical history lesson. Some ppl refuse to understand history. I can lead a horse to water, but....

Zirg said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

I wouldn't brag about being unable to grasp my geographic and historical history lesson. Some ppl refuse to understand history. I can lead a horse to water, but....

Guess I couldn't get past your personal editorializing. Maybe just keep it to the facts next time and leave the opinions out.

Only on egriz, folks. Just keep movin' on. Nothing to see here.

Now. Is there suppose to be something about schedules around here?

https://twitter.com/roccomiller8/status/1556653277801902080?s=21&t=-JsqZywjSEUTxgg6wEWG3Q
Looks like we will be going to Duquesne (located in Pittsburgh) on a TBA date in November. I love that we’re playing an A-10 team, as the A-10 has been the gold standard of mid major conferences on the East coast. However, the Dukes were really bad last year going 6-24 overall and finishing last in the A10. We have played the Dukes before, but it’s been a while. I think it’s been like almost 10 years since the last time we played them. Despite how bad the Dukes were last year, I feel like they’d have a really hard time being worse then that next year, so expect an improved Dukes team, and what could be a tough game against a tough conference, and a tough place to travel to.

We don’t know the date of this game, but we know it’s in November, and my guess is that we’ll make it a 2 game road trip with Xavier on the 11th. So expect this game to be either on the 9th or 13th.

Griz til I die said:
A few things to note:

- With Southern Utah leaving the Big Sky to join the WAC, the number of conference games will now drop from 20 to 18 games. This means that we will now have to schedule 2 additional non-conference games every year for a total of 13 non-conference games. So if you're looking for maybe the one and only downside to SUU leaving the conference, it's this as we now have to schedule 2 additional non-conference games which will not be easy. This will also mean that UNC and NAU will become travel partners, and we will be back to an even number of teams, and we can get rid of this lone wolf bullshit.

- The Big Sky and the Summit League have agreed to play the Big Sky-Summit League challenge games this season that were lost from the 2020 pandemic season. This means that in the 22-23 season we will host South Dakota State and we will go to North Dakota State. These 2 games alone will already set us up for a very difficult non-conference schedule next season.

- As part of a home and home agreement with Air Force that brought the Falcons to Missoula this season, we will travel to Colorado Springs next season to take on Air Force to finish out the agreement.

As of August 8, 2022 here's what we know:

TBD: vs. South Dakota State
TBD @ Air Force
November??? @ Duquesne (via Rocco Miller)
November 11 @ Xavier (via Jon Rothstein)
November 17 Zootown Classic (Montana, Merrimack, St.Thomas, Troy)(Via Rocco Miller, confirmed by Lance Hartzler)
November 18 Zootown Classic (Montana, Merrimack, St.Thomas, Troy)(Via Rocco Miller, confirmed by Lance Hartzler)
November 19 Zootown Classic (Montana, Merrimack, St.Thomas, Troy)(Via Rocco Miller, confirmed by Lance Hartzler)
November 29 @ Southern Mississippi (via D1 Docket)
December 10 @ North Dakota State
December 20 @ Gonzaga (via Rocco Miller)
December 29 vs. Eastern Washington
December 31 vs. Idaho
January 5 @ Northern Arizona
January 7 @ Northern Coloado
January 12 vs. Weber State
January 14 vs. Idaho State
January 16 @ Eastern Washington
January 21 vs. Montana State
January 26 @ Sacramento State
January 28 @ Portland State
February 2 vs. Northern Colorado
February 4 vs. Northern Arizona
February 9 @ Idaho State
February 11 @ Weber State
February 18 @ Montana State
February 23 vs. Portland State
February 25 vs. Sacramento State
February 27 @ Idaho

Some other things to watch for:

- Money games. Of course we will schedule money games next season. With the Griz already having 2 games on the books in the Rocky Mountain/Midwest area, watch for a potential money game against a Big 12 or Big 10 foe (Iowa, Nebraska, etc.). Another possibility is Colorado. I know that's not one of the PAC 12 teams that we have historically been able to get games against in the past, but considering we will be right down the road in Colorado Springs next season I think it's a possibility. Would Decuire be willing to schedule 2 Mountain West road games next season and play either a Colorado State or Wyoming since we will already be in the neighborhood? I don't really see that happening, but you never know. I could also see a scenario where we schedule Air Force and NDSU back-to-back and just turn those 2 games into one road trip and skip out on a money game in that region of the country.

As far as other money games, I would say at the absolute minimum we will have 2 money games but likely more in the 3-4 range. I don't see us scheduling Oregon in back-to back seasons, but I do think next season we could see games against Arizona, USC, or Stanford as those are typically the other 3 PAC 12 teams we've been able to get games against in the past. I think we've probably burnt our bridge with Washington by now after just owning them in Basketball and Football last season, but I still hold out hope that they will open their arms and welcome us back again. If UW is not holding a grudge against us, then I think they are also a possibility for next season. Now I don't think we will play only PAC 12 teams as we've also become regulars in the SEC after playing Arkansas in 2019, Georgia in 2020, and Mississippi State in 2021. So I think there is a possibility that we will play the SEC again. Two teams that I would like to see us play are Mizzou or South Carolina. Either one of those would give us a better chance to win than against a team like Kentucky or Auburn. We'll see what happens though with the money games.

-Home games. I wanna see us get a game against a Big West team in Missoula next season as I believe the Big West is about on par with the Big Sky. We did face UC San Diego this past season, but that came in the Zootown Classic. Maybe we could also get a certain WAC opponent (you know who I'm talking about) to come to Missoula next season. Hell, I could even see Southern Utah being invited to play in the Zootown Classic next year. Then of course we will likely play 1-2 home games against non-D1 teams, and it seems our 2 favorite opponents in recent years have been Dickinson State and Yellowstone Christian. I'd like to kind of avoid Yellowstone Christian next season and see if we can get a little bit better opponent next season.

-People to follow. Typically the best people to follow on Twitter when it comes to Basketball Scheduling are the D1 Docket who keeps a master spreadsheet of every teams schedules, Rocco Miller, and Jon Rothstein. Those are the 3 that I typically go to when I'm looking at our games.

If you see anything on Twitter or hear any rumors on opponents or dates, please feel free to post them here as I will update this thread regularly. First things first.

Go Griz!
Alright, after the Duquesne announcement yesterday, we got 3 games to go. We'll wait to see what the date is of that Duquesne game, but if I was a betting man, I'd be willing to bet we will play the Dukes on the 13th or 14th of November, since we'll already be in the area taking on Xavier. We are also still (since I started this thread in March) waiting on dates for South Dakota State and Air Force.

So now this begs the question, who are the final 3 opponents we are playing, and when are we playing them? As it currently sits, we have 4 home games and 6 road games. One thing we are missing so far is an opening night game. Now we may not necessarily play on opening night, as we do have a track record of skipping out on opening night, but we'll see. If we do play on opening night, I'm willing to bet it will be a home game since we have an early season road trip to Xavier 4 days later. I know for a fact that it will not be South Dakota State on opening night (as cool as that would be) because SDSU already has an opening night game scheduled against Akron. My assumption is we will have 6 road games and 7 road games (just pure speculation on my part). I would be shocked if we didn't play at least 1 non-D1 team, and I think that could end up being our opening night game. I think of the 3 remaining games, one of them will be on opening night (November 7) and the other 2 will be in December since so far we only have 2 games in December. Last month, I said that I think there will still be 1 more money game that has yet to be announced, but I have now changed my mind on that. I think we're only going to play 2 money games after seeing the degree of difficulty this non-conference schedule already sits at. I think we're looking at 1-2 non-D1 games, and/or 1-2 mid major games.

As far as the dates for SDSU and Air Force, I think at least 1 of these games, if not both of them, will be in December. SDSU has a jam packed November schedule, which leads me to believe that the game will likely be in early to mid December. The Summit League starts conference play on December 19 (that's really stupid on their part btw), so I'm thinking maybe midweek like December 13 or 14 may be the date of this game, which would leave them enough time to gear up for the start of conference play. For us, that's a 9 day window of no games sandwiched in between road games at NDSU and Gonzaga, which would seem like a logical time for a home game. As for Air Force, there hasn't really been a lot of schedule news for them, so it's hard to say when this game may be. We have a 10 day window in late November sandwiched between the final game of the Zootown Classic on the 19th, and our road game at Southern Miss. Logic would say that we are going to stop at Air Force on our way to Southern Miss. If I had to guess, I would say Saturday, November 26 would be the date for Air Force. That leaves us 2 days to travel to and practice for Southern Miss on Tuesday the 29th. I think that seems perfectly reasonable.

We gotta be getting really close to UM officially announcing the non-conference schedule. I think we're already pass the date they announced it last year. Regardless, I think this is a very tough non-conference schedule, and it continues to get tougher after each and every announcement. I'm curious to hear your guys' thoughts on the schedule so far. What do you think of the degree of difficulty??? How do you see this older group of guys handling this? Are there any upsets you guys think we can pull????

Look for Little Sisters of the Poor, some reservation team, or a junior college out of Canada….we seem to play one or two of those every year.

Back