• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Bannon - NBA Potential?

mthoopsfan

This is what the Troy coach said:

"Josh Bannan was named the Zootown Classic MVP. He averaged 14.3 points, 13.3 rebounds and 5.7 assists in the three tournament games.

“Bannan, to me, is one of the best post players that I’ve ever seen at any level,” Cross said. “Watching him on tape, he scares you to death. He’s 6-10. He can shoot it. He can drive you. He can come off the pick and roll. He can pass it. It’s hard to double him in the post because he can pass it. His footwork is amazing. I think he can play in the NBA. He’s that talented in my opinion."

Missoulian article.

mthoopsfan said:

"Josh Bannan was named the Zootown Classic MVP. He averaged 14.3 points, 13.3 rebounds and 5.7 assists in the three tournament games.

“Bannan, to me, is one of the best post players that I’ve ever seen at any level,” Cross said. “Watching him on tape, he scares you to death. He’s 6-10. He can shoot it. He can drive you. He can come off the pick and roll. He can pass it. It’s hard to double him in the post because he can pass it. His footwork is amazing. I think he can play in the NBA. He’s that talented in my opinion."

Missoulian article.

Maybe a shot in the G league. He's gonna need to be way more consistent. Lots of season left and not many scorers or ballers on the roster so he'll get a chance to prove it.

Questions I would ask:

1. Is he a better or a different player than Drew Timme? Timme’s NBA prospects are marginal at best.

2. Who does he guard in the League? I don’t think he is a 3 and D guy. Maybe a stretch 4 but I think he is a decent not great 3 point shooter and right now I think it takes him too long to get his shot off.

3. I don’t think anyone can make it as a post player in the NBA without some elite ability to defend or rim run or rim protect.

Bannan will have a 10+ year professional career and make tons of money overseas or in Australia, I just highly doubt it will be in the NBA.

Bannon has ZERO NBA potential. I dunno how anybody could even suggest it. I know this: That person does not watch NBA games night in and night out.

The failure to move up has probably overall been good for the enthusiasm it's brought to our football program but it's been devastating for our two basketball programs. The level of talent we're able to recruit combined with the inferior competition we face in-league almost guarantees that an NBA-talent enrolling at Montana anytime soon will be a fluke of the universe.

mthoopsfan said:

Missoulian article.
I think Bannon is an excellent player. But I don't know who he could defend in the NBA. They would go right at him. Overseas I think he will have a solid career.

It's all up to his willingness to make a few improvements.

1. He absolutely has to trash his push jumper. Somehow it's effective for him. It won't cut it in the NBA. That better be gone for his SR year!

2. He needs additional strength and quicker defensive footwork, to play in the NBA.

As is, right now, I'm not sold on him making the NBA. If he improves what I mentioned, he could have a chance.

I’m sooooo tired of watching Bannon out top, in just tonight’s game I have watched him turn it over 3 times in the second half try to drive.
When Bannon is out beyond the three pt line the GRIZ have zero rebounders.

mtgrizrule said:

1. He absolutely has to trash his push jumper. Somehow it's effective for him. It won't cut it in the NBA. That better be gone for his SR year!

2. He needs additional strength and quicker defensive footwork, to play in the NBA.

As is, right now, I'm not sold on him making the NBA. If he improves what I mentioned, he could have a chance.

I agree with this 100%. I love the guy, but no way in hell Bannan plays in the NBA.

Zirg said:
mtgrizrule said:

I agree with this 100%. I love the guy, but no way in hell Bannan plays in the NBA.

Look at a guy like Joe Ingles. Didn't make it to the league until he was 27, not a great athlete but a heady player for years. He is at 40% from 3 for his NBA career so that is something for Bannan to work on if he wants to be of value at that level. Likely? No, but not out of the realm of possibility and some develop further at a later age.

Hoops watcher said:
Zirg said:

Look at a guy like Joe Ingles. Didn't make it to the league until he was 27, not a great athlete but a heady player for years. He is at 40% from 3 for his NBA career so that is something for Bannan to work on if he wants to be of value at that level. Likely? No, but not out of the realm of possibility and some develop further at a later age.

Bannon shoots 3's from his hip. I don't care how accurate he is, that is not realistic to play in the NBA.

As much as I like Bannon I have to agree with the majority of posters. He’s not NBA material. His 3 pt. shot is non-existent, he’s not a particularly good ball handler and he does not move his feet very well. I’m certain one of the things the coaches had him work on in the off season was his 3 pt shot. His release is wrong and you can tell by his demeanor he’s not comfortable shooting.
One of several criticisms I’ve had with Travis and his staff is they have failed to develop their players. Vasquez is just one example. He was touted to be the next great Griz guard as a freshman but he hardly sees the floor and it’s plain to see his on floor confidence is almost nonexistent. I just don’t think the coaches have done a very good job with player development.

Was looking this guy over (stats and various online video highlights). Not sure what the Troy coach was seeing. Bannan certainly has some skills, but – to start with – he'll need to effectively bulk up at least 20 pounds (IMO) to have any chance against opponents his height or even a bit shorter. That's even before he (possibly) gets to the NBA. Right now, there are plenty of 6'10 forecourt players who could bully him down low. Also, as several have pointed out, his shooting skils are (shall we say) questionable.

There might be one bright spot. Aside from sheer power for some, rebounding is a "knack" that some players have, and others don't. They just seem to know where a missed shot is going to come off the rim or backboard, and how to position themselves to snag it. I see hints that Bannan may have that knack. If he does, and can consistently grab double-digit ribbies for the Griz, he'll add a dimension that UM has not had for a long time. With that and some good kick-out passing, I honestly wouldn't care if he doesn't become an inside scoring machine.

IdaGriz01 said:
Was looking this guy over (stats and various online video highlights). Not sure what the Troy coach was seeing. Bannan certainly has some skills, but – to start with – he'll need to effectively bulk up at least 20 pounds (IMO) to have any chance against opponents his height or even a bit shorter. That's even before he (possibly) gets to the NBA. Right now, there are plenty of 6'10 forecourt players who could bully him down low. Also, as several have pointed out, his shooting skils are (shall we say) questionable.

There might be one bright spot. Aside from sheer power for some, rebounding is a "knack" that some players have, and others don't. They just seem to know where a missed shot is going to come off the rim or backboard, and how to position themselves to snag it. I see hints that Bannan may have that knack. If he does, and can consistently grab double-digit ribbies for the Griz, he'll add a dimension that UM has not had for a long time. With that and some good kick-out passing, I honestly wouldn't care if he doesn't become an inside scoring machine.

Bannon is shooting 46% from the field, and 38% from 3. That's pretty good.

mthoopsfan said:
IdaGriz01 said:

This is not really relevant. What would his stats be against a Big 10 schedule?

GrizBall said:
mthoopsfan said:

This is not really relevant. What would his stats be against a Big 10 schedule?

It's relevant to this comment in the post I responded to. "his shooting skils are (shall we say) questionable."

He'd not get a three off in the NBA. Lots of long arms to reach out and block the shot as he starts it high, brings it to his waist, then pulls it back up. One of the weirder deliveries I've seen. I like Bannan but not nba level. I was impressed with his right hand jump hook last night.

Some guys on here rely on stats too much. Must have never played the game.

mtgrizrule said:

This guy did ok in the NBA with a crappy shot.

shawn-marion-shot.gif

Back