• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Griz vs Bunnies

Great win for the Griz. I think the fans needed that, I needed that, and most importantly the team needed that.

griznative24 said:
Great win for the Griz. I think the fans needed that, I needed that, and most importantly the team needed that.

Definitely needed that after Saturday and everything since in Grizland.

Just looked over the record for SDSU. They've played a rough schedule and their record shows it ... but they've also been at least respectable. Fun fact: Coincidentally, they also scored 56 points at Arkansas, and the Razorbacks scored "only" 76 on them.

The Griz did not shoot all that great on treys, but were a very respectable 8 of 23 (34.8%). They lit it up on FG ... 30 of 53 (56.6%). Moody was in another universe, shooting 10 of 12. Anyway, I would have expected more, but 15 assists in all that is pretty damn good

Damn, we kicked the ever living shit out of them! That could’ve been easily been a 30+ point win but we basically stopped trying in the final 3 minutes. I really can’t say anything bad about that performance. We shot the ball great, hardly had any turnovers, and rebounded well. Hell we even had a lot of transition and fast breaks in the 1st half. I guess my only gripe is that I’d like to see DT get more involved in the paint on offense, and he did as the game went on, but man he could be a force to be reckoned with!

Great win tonight, and like a couple others have said, we needed that after what’s been a long few weeks for us! Hopefully this helped calm the waters a little bit!

https://twitter.com/SkylineSportsMT/status/1600376196050882562

https://open.spotify.com/episode/6xr3Qrl4TbeqWkioZmVoDK?si=81fa5be14fd848e6

Having Moody and Whitney both healthy and both playing in the back court is a huge boost. This Moody has been a tremendous pick up and I don’t know if any of us saw that coming. Thomas is definitely going to post some matchup problems for folks in the big sky!

Great game by the Griz. Everything came together last night. Two random things I noticed:

1. All of the Freshman except for Nap were in street clothes. There could be some some injuries or something that isn’t public, but this would lead me to believe none of them will play this season.

2. The rotation seems to be set. Vasquez, Mack and Nap appear to complete the 8-man rotation. I think Brown and Oke will only be used as the situation requires (foul trouble, specific match-up, injury, etc.).

Fantastic game to watch live... except for the fact that barely 1500 fans were in attendance.

One other factor: the refs... I've read & re-read the NCAA 2022 rule changes and official "emphases" for the upcoming season, particularly regarding how to call charges-and-or-flops, especially in the front court... when to call a technical on a flop, and especially how to differentiate an offensive charge on a post-up move. This crew actually seemed to be calling the game by 2021-22 standards. Both coaches were so frustrated, they were ready to pull their hair out (cept that neither had much to pull from their pates). Montana actually benefitted from three second-half flops (wrongly called, I believe).

The rule changes for this year are good. The rules direct less emphasis on in-paint post-up contact (fewer charging calls either way), with technicals for flopping (O and D) and one ft awarded to the opposing team) before a continuance of normal game flow. THINK: Similar to how the game is currently called in the NBA.

Significantly, players are adjusting quickly. But last night, that did not include the refs. Players on both teams seemed confused at this crew's contact calls. Fans started yelling, "Let em play!" It was a fun game. It would have been more enjoyable with about 10-15 fewer inessential contact calls from the refs, who blew their whistles for 40 contact fouls.

grizzlyjournal said:
Fantastic game to watch live... except for the fact that barely 1500 fans were in attendance.
... It was a fun game. It would have been more enjoyable with about 10-15 fewer inessential contact calls from the refs, who blew their whistles for 40 contact fouls.
Enjoy it while you can ... and hope. I recall WAY too many games last season when the calls went well into the 40's and even over 50.

I was impressed with the Griz offense and defense against SDSU. But to be truthful I think it had more to do with bunnies coming off a long road trip and we’re playing on tired legs. They’ve only played one home game so far.

Turning my attention to our offense or the inconsistency of. One poster on egriz suggested that Travis needs a true offensive coordinator, I couldn’t agree more. Last nights performance is indicative of what we’re capable of. But I’d almost guarantee we’ll be right back in the dribble, dribble, dribble, turnover mode before long. One interesting statistic to me last night was Josh Bannon’s scoring or lack of. I think he finished with 6 points which leads me to believe the staff puts to much emphasis on his.getting the ball. One thing Josh is good at is knowing where the ball is. Consequently his rebounding totals are impressive which validates his court smarts.

Another area I’d like to see improvement is the high post screen. More often than not when the high post screen breaks off he’s open for a brief time and that’s when the entry pass should happen. If the defense drops off then an outlet pass creates space for our 3’s and 4’s to go to the basket. Instead they just stand around and watch and hope Josh or whomever makes the shot.

Tuesday night we saw what this team is capable of doing. I only hope they gained some confidence and a renewed attitude that will carry forward.

Back