• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

WBB vs. GCU

OregonStateFan

Lady Griz doing a nice job of handling the GCU pressure -- leading to open looks from three, four of which the Griz knocked down in the first quarter.

Struggling mightily in the midrange game.

Marxen struggled with the pressure in Q2. It's still early in the season, but she's been a bit of a disappointment thus far.

Frosh are going to be really good.

I agree with Oregonstate, to me, Konig and Stump look quicker, less intimidated, and create more offense than Marxen. The frosh are already impressive. Future looks promising.

Konig and Stump were really impressive in the third quarter. Handled the pressure exceptionally well -- Konig showed great vision in the open court and Stump was knocking down shots.

Lady Griz will need a strong fourth quarter to hang on for the win.

Just back from the game. GrizWBB lost, but were within 4 or ahead by four until about 5 minutes left in the game. GCU is a well-coached, disciplined 8-1 team, with its only loss last week at Arizona by 8.

Statistically the teams were evenly matched in most categories. Montana shot better from beyond the arc, GCU shot better in the paint. Montana had 3 more rebounds and made three fewer free throws (the foul disparity tilted in the last four minutes, as often happens).

The game was won in two categories: GCU committed 9 turnovers, Montana committed 19. GCU scored 17 points off of turnovers, Montana 7 in a game GCU won by 8. Signigicantly, however, GCU scored 28 points in the paint to Montana's 12. GCU's double-teaming D in the paint stopped Montana's inside game cold.

I think this was a textbook game on the future of college hoops. GCU played uber aggressive trapping man-on defense all over the floor, and though Montana handled it most of the time, 3-4 turnovers in rapid succession midway through the fourth quarter swung momentum rapidly.

It means -- to me at least -- that playing aggressive teams like GCU, WSU, Colorado State, and even South Dakota is necessary prep for the Big Sky. The GrizWBB will face similar teams in conference.

Lastly, this game... not so unexpectedly to me, revealed a swing in on-court personnel: four Griz frosh combined for 78 of Montana's 200 minutes. Libby Stump's 14 points in 20 minutes led the team. Four frosh & one soph combined for 33 points while two seniors totaled 20, and one junior 10. It's sign of the future... perhaps the very near future. Go GrizWBB.

grizzlyjournal said:
Just back from the game. GrizWBB lost, but were within 4 or ahead by four until about 5 minutes left in the game. GCU is a well-coached, disciplined 8-1 team, with its only loss last week at Arizona by 8.

Statistically the teams were evenly matched in most categories. Montana shot better from beyond the arc, GCU shot better in the paint. Montana had 3 more rebounds and made three fewer free throws (the foul disparity tilted in the last four minutes, as often happens).

The game was won in two categories: GCU committed 9 turnovers, Montana committed 19. GCU scored 17 points off of turnovers, Montana 7 in a game GCU won by 8. Signigicantly, however, GCU scored 28 points in the paint to Montana's 12. GCU's double-teaming D in the paint stopped Montana's inside game cold.

I think this was a textbook game on the future of college hoops. GCU played uber aggressive trapping man-on defense all over the floor, and though Montana handled it most of the time, 3-4 turnovers in rapid succession midway through the fourth quarter swung momentum rapidly.

It means -- to me at least -- that playing aggressive teams like GCU, WSU, Colorado State, and even South Dakota is necessary prep for the Big Sky. The GrizWBB will face similar teams in conference.

Lastly, this game... not so unexpectedly to me, revealed a swing in on-court personnel: four Griz frosh combined for 78 of Montana's 200 minutes. Libby Stump's 14 points in 20 minutes led the team. Four frosh & one soph combined for 33 points while two seniors totaled 20, and one junior 10. It's sign of the future... perhaps the very near future. Go GrizWBB.

Good points, tough pre-season schedule, that hopefully will in effect help this team workout kinks in their system and lineup. We do have a problem scoring, there were gaps of 6 minutes, 3 minute for example the LGriz could not/did not score. By observation, a good number of shot selections looked ok, but the ball simply was not going in the hoop. I know this is a young team, with some very talented players, but are we on the rebuilding again...and again? Turnovers, that's basic stuff, that will not work against most average teams, who will on a good night convert to FG's. I think when this team "lights up", later on "gels", will be awesome!

Where was Dani Bartsch in the GCU game, no minutes played and no evidence she was o the bench. Is she injured or what does anyone know.

Griz66 said:
Where was Dani Bartsch in the GCU game, no minutes played and no evidence she was o the bench. Is she injured or what does anyone know.

Dani was at the end of the bench in street clothing.

Back