• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Mandy Morales = Shannon Cate?

Mslacat

I have been blown away by how good soph Mandy Morales is. She is not only racking points, but also assists, steals etc. So the question has to be asked, when all is said and done will she does she have the potential to match or eclipse Shannon Cate as the best Lady Griz ever. I realise that they are not an apples to apples comparison but each can dominate a game like few other women have done in the Big Sky.

Considering that women's basketball has grown quite a bit since Shannon played and the competition is stronger, I consider Mandy ahead of Shannon at this time. Mandy is far more athletic than Shannon.

You really should be asking this question after she has gradutated. Seems way to premature at this point. But just comparing freshman and Sophomore seasons (which Mandy hasn't completed yet) I say Mandy is ahead of Shannon. I am basing this on what I see than just pure stats.

There will never be a Lady Griz prettier than Shannon though. Lisa McCleod was close, as well as Dawn Sievers. :twocents:

Grizbacker1 said:
There will never be a Lady Griz prettier than Shannon though. Lisa McCleod was close, as well as Dawn Sievers. :twocents:

pretty is nice to look at ...but Mandy just gets it done! Shannon was an incredible athlete too...hard to judge.

Lady Griz have been blessed with some talent and good looks I agree.

first11 said:
Grizbacker1 said:

pretty is nice to look at ...but Mandy just gets it done! Shannon was an incredible athlete too...hard to judge.

I forget to address the basketball part. Mandy is as good as they come, but in Shannon's defense, she was a 1st Team All American. I don't think Mandy is quite to that stage at this point. Shannon played a long time ago, and the women's game has continued to evolve, so a side by side comparison is not really fair. All I know is Shannon was a thrill to watch and so is Mandy. I am just glad they are both Lady Griz.

Grizbacker1 said:
first11 said:
Grizbacker1 said:

I forget to address the basketball part. Mandy is as good as they come, but in Shannon's defense, she was a 1st Team All American. I don't think Mandy is quite to that stage at this point. Shannon played a long time ago, and the women's game has continued to evolve, so a side by side comparison is not really fair. All I know is Shannon was a thrill to watch and so is Mandy. I am just glad they are both Lady Griz.

AMEN to that Brother Griz...it is gonna be a great year for LG BB!!

Grizbacker1 said:
first11 said:
Grizbacker1 said:

If you want to use All American Accolades as a comparison, Mandy is ahead of Shannon. Mandy was Honorable mention All-American last year, one of only 3 freshman. I don't believe Shannon was on the any All-American list her freshman or sophomore years.

Anyway, shannon was a great player and a Griz Hall of Famer. Mandy is not, which she should not be until her career is over.

GrizBBIsKing said:
Grizbacker1 said:
first11 said:
Grizbacker1 said:

If you want to use All American Accolades as a comparison, Mandy is ahead of Shannon. Mandy was Honorable mention All-American last year, one of only 3 freshman. I don't believe Shannon was on the any All-American list her freshman or sophomore years.

Anyway, shannon was a great player and a Griz Hall of Famer. Mandy is not, which she should not be until her career is over.

My point was to even attempt to compare them was next to impossible because they are too many years apart. I hope Mandy meets or exeeds the numbers Shannon put up, on the floor and in the classroom. :thumb:

The Big Sky Conference's only Kodak first team All-American, the former Shannon Cate led the Lady Griz to a 103-18 overall record over her four-year career. She was a three-time all-region pick, a two-time Big Sky MVP, a three-time Big Sky tournament MVP and a three-time Lady Griz MVP. She was also a four-time Big Sky all-academic pick.

Schweyen finished her career as the league's all-time leading scorer among both men and women with 2,172 career points. She still owns numerous school and Big Sky Conference records after averaging 18.7 points, 7.6 rebounds and 3.6 assists per game for her four-year career.

Records are made to be broken. What we could use are a couple more blue chippers & start assaulting the Top 25. This is still a team effort.

Like it was stated above, and this is a personal opinion, Shannon being the only All-American and scoring leader at the University makes her the best player in UM history. Now if Mandy breaks her scoring record but does not get First Team All American honors, I think it is still debateable. But, lets let her finish her career, before we go bronzing a picture and placing it next to Shannon's.

I will only say this about the stated goal about Morales breaking the scoring record. I really think that Mandy might not break the scoring record (or maybe she will), but I think by the time she is done she could be an absolute stat monster in a way that Cate was not. She could end up the top 1 or 2 scorer, top 4 is assists, steals, rebounds, and just about every measurable stat. She is a fantastic scorer to be sure, but her game is so well rounded that is what amazes me. What was it last week in one game 28 points and 7 assists, do you know how tough that is to get your points and assists! Amazing

Grizbacker1 said:

Grizbacker - What does this have to do with their talent level? Get a clue. Do you judge the men basketball players on how 'pretty' they are? :lame: :loser: :loser: :loser: :loser: :loser:

urcrackinmeup said:
Grizbacker1 said:

Grizbacker - What does this have to do with their talent level? Get a clue. Do you judge the men basketball players on how 'pretty' they are? :lame: :loser: :loser: :loser: :loser: :loser:

Well I thought Crizwell had a nice butt :moon:

urcrackinmeup said:
Grizbacker1 said:

If I have to explain the nature of the post to you, then I doubt you would really get it anyway. I posted more than enought that spoke to the talents of both Shannon and Mandy. Thanks for letting me know how you felt about my overstepping the bounds of a message board, and complimenting these ladies. :thumb:

There is an article in today's Missoulian that looks like it may have been inspired by this thread, although, the comparisons are a little different.

The article is comparing Mandy's 5 game streak with some of Cate's, Mcnulty's, and Leibenguths.

Morales 5 game streak is a 28.2 average.

Cate has had three similar streaks in her career, One was for 24.6 per game, another for 32 points a game, and another for 31.4/game.

Leibenguth had one similar streak where she averaged 23.6/game.

Mcnulty also had one streak where she averaged 27.2/game.

What sets Mandy apart is that in her streak, she scored 24 points or more in all 5 games.

Shannon Cate-Shweyen last week, in the game against Idaho, told fellow assistant coach Annette Whitaker-Rocheleau: "It is fun having a stud".

GrizBBIsKing said:
There is an article in today's Missoulian that looks like it may have been inspired by this thread, although, the comparisons are a little different.

The article is comparing Mandy's 5 game streak with some of Cate's, Mcnulty's, and Leibenguths.

Morales 5 game streak is a 28.2 average.

Cate has had three similar streaks in her career, One was for 24.6 per game, another for 32 points a game, and another for 31.4/game.

Leibenguth had one similar streak where she averaged 23.6/game.

Mcnulty also had one streak where she averaged 27.2/game.

What sets Mandy apart is that in her streak, she scored 24 points or more in all 5 games.

Shannon Cate-Shweyen last week, in the game against Idaho, told fellow assistant coach Annette Whitaker-Rocheleau: "It is fun having a stud".

With out beating a dead horse though, none of these other players also averaged 6 assists, and 3 steals also in their streak. The fact she was scoring the ball at will and was still passing and getting other teammates scoring opportunities is truly amazing. This is not the case of a selfish player racking up monster stats she is doing it and helping her team mates score. It is the points AND the assists that have me soooo impressed.

Back