• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Is Will Cherry a Warrior?

citygriz

It was reported two days ago that he'd signed a ten-day contract. Which means he'd show up at training camp next Tuesday to see if he could make the team--a longshot--or be in a position to make their "G" league team in Santa Cruz.

But yesterday, when the Warriors released their roster, Cherry was not on it.

If he does sign, circle this date on your calendar: Sept 29, Warriors v. TWolves, pre-season opener. That might be the only time we ever see Will in a Warriors uni. But at least it looks like he's going to get a shot.

helenaumfan said:
Cherry has stated multiple times on twitter that the reports are not true.

Multiple sources have reported this. I can't imagine why a kid from Oakland wouldn't want a shot, if the opportunity arose.

citay said:
helenaumfan said:
Cherry has stated multiple times on twitter that the reports are not true.

Multiple sources have reported this. I can't imagine why a kid from Oakland wouldn't want a shot, if the opportunity arose.

Maybe, just maybe, he is happy with what he is doing now.

Yes.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-oakland-native-signs-exhibit-194702898.html

So yes, you can expect Cherry to end up in Santa Cruz.

The 6-foot, 180-pound 27-year old -- who went to McClymonds High School and played his college ball at Montana -- averaged 1.9 points over eight appearances with the Cavs in 2014-15. He played overseas the last three years, averaging 11.0 points and 3.5 assists for Cedevita in Croatia.

I am always pulling for Will Cherry. 1 of my all time favorite GRIZ. Loved his leadership, toughness, and DEFENSE!!!! He always came up clutch defensive plays, rebounds, and even shots. For not being known for his shooting, he managed to come through often in big games. Good thing with the G League, I believe any NBA team can sign a player to the NBA. Maybe someone can confirm if that is the case or not.

citay said:
It was reported two days ago that he'd signed a ten-day contract. Which means he'd show up at training camp next Tuesday to see if he could make the team--a longshot--or be in a position to make their "G" league team in Santa Cruz.

If he does sign, circle this date on your calendar: Sept 29, Warriors v. TWolves, pre-season opener. That might be the only time we ever see Will in a Warriors uni. But at least it looks like he's going to get a shot.

I watched part of that game and didn't see Cherry play...looked up the box score and although 17 players saw minutes for the Warriors, Will Cherry was not one of them....I checked the box scores for the next 2 games and same thing....no minutes for Cherry....I think they may be sending him to Santa Cruz to play for their G League team.....I see he signed an "Exhibit 10" contract which allows him to claim a bonus if he is waived and stays with the G League team for 60 days.....Here is an article explaining Exhibit 10 contracts...
https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2018/07/hoops-rumors-glossary-exhibit-10-contract.html

sacstateman said:
citay said:

I watched part of that game and didn't see Cherry play...looked up the box score and although 17 players saw minutes for the Warriors, Will Cherry was not one of them....I checked the box scores for the next 2 games and same thing....no minutes for Cherry....I think they may be sending him to Santa Cruz to play for their G League team.....I see he signed an "Exhibit 10" contract which allows him to claim a bonus if he is waived and stays with the G League team for 60 days.....Here is an article explaining Exhibit 10 contracts...
https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2018/07/hoops-rumors-glossary-exhibit-10-contract.html

This always was a G League contract only. The Warriors have only one roster spot open, with several guys who played summer-league ball vying for that one position--not to mention Patrick McCaw, who may yet sign. In addition, the Warriors have had some success picking up a player late from another team after the final cuts have been made. That's how they acquired Quinn Cook last year, who performed so well when called up from the G League that he made the playoff roster, and has signed a two-year contract.

In short, there was no expectation that Cherry would play in the pre-season. This is solely a G-League opportunity.

3 year guys that haven't established themselves by now that they are a legit NBA-er have very little chance to make an NBA team.He is good at everything he does, but not exceptional enough at any one skill to demand an NBA spot. I highly doubt he'll ever play another NBA game.

I watched last night's game in its entirety and did see Will on the bench but did not see him get in the game.

Zirg said:
3 year guys that haven't established themselves by now that they are a legit NBA-er have very little chance to make an NBA team.He is good at everything he does, but not exceptional enough at any one skill to demand an NBA spot. I highly doubt he'll ever play another NBA game.

I don't really think that's true anymore.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2017/...aniel-theis-spurs-celtics-role-players-europe

"There are seven players in the NBA this season who were signed out of Europe as free agents. The headliners were Ekpe Udoh (Jazz) and Milos Teodosic (Clippers), 30-year-olds who had established themselves as some of the best players on the continent. The other five, though, fit the description of relatively anonymous guys in their mid-20s who slipped through the cracks: Brandon Paul (Spurs), Daniel Theis and Shane Larkin (Celtics), Darius Miller (Pelicans), and Mike James (Suns). They have all worked out well so far, contributing to their new teams in the first month of the season."

DPGriz said:
Zirg said:

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2017/...aniel-theis-spurs-celtics-role-players-europe

"There are seven players in the NBA this season who were signed out of Europe as free agents. The headliners were Ekpe Udoh (Jazz) and Milos Teodosic (Clippers), 30-year-olds who had established themselves as some of the best players on the continent. The other five, though, fit the description of relatively anonymous guys in their mid-20s who slipped through the cracks: Brandon Paul (Spurs), Daniel Theis and Shane Larkin (Celtics), Darius Miller (Pelicans), and Mike James (Suns). They have all worked out well so far, contributing to their new teams in the first month of the season."

Good info! I would love to see Cherry get another shot. One of the best to ever do it in Maroon and Silver.

DPGriz said:
Zirg said:

You can always find a few exceptions, but what about the other 97% (including Cherry)?

The Warriors made a move on Thursday afternoon.
Golden State signed free-agent big man Deyonta Davis and waived guard Will Cherry, the team announced.

Back