• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Preseason Projection

AZDoc

DONOR
Was looking at the Player of the Week thing for Sneed, and saw this as a link. What do you think?

http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/16494

Stats don't lie. So let's look.

We know we are a poor three-point shooting team. Sure enough, 331st in the country in three-pointers made per game, and 236th nationally in three-point percentage. We sure could use an improvement in those numbers. But from where-Dorsey? Oguine? Or Freddy Brown, assuming he doesn't redshirt.

Field goal percentage defense, about 43%. This to me is a key number, because back in the 70's and 80's, we were among the nation's leaders here, in the high 30's, year in and year out. The Heathcote/Montgomery legacy. We're not bad here--114th in the country--but I might have expected us to be higher, and hope we are this year.

But a suprise in the numbers: Our rebounding ability. Plus 4.6 per game, 47th in the country. This is excellent, cause you can't score if you don't have the damned ball.I believe this was due to Akoh and Moorehead. I sure hope Kramer can help those numbers this year, making up for Krslovic. And of course, Oguine has to be one of the best rebounders in the country from his guard position.

Conclusion: A fabulous year last year, as we all know. And yet: A lot of room for improvement this year. Not my opinion; the stats. They speak volumes.

I think they can't have a consistently terrible 3 point shooting group and expect to make the NCAA tourney (? win a game), or even win the Big Sky if this happens. They need to improve on that 331 (out of 347). Percentage needs to be at least 38.5% (from 33.5%). That'd get them top 50. Going from 1/3 to 2/5 is a huge improvement, and let's face it, not that difficult to do as a team. Maybe there will be someone that comes in and really helps with the percentage. It also forces teams to open up defensively and not crowd the lane. That's helpful when you have a big guy down there trying to score as well as breaking in a RS freshman post.
They need to continue to play hard nosed defense, score in transition, and take it to the rim.
If these things happen, they are in for another excellent season.

The top 5 teams of the Big Sky all look pretty good. I think UM is going to miss the play of Krislovic. The guy had such an intense desire to win. He put it all out there game after game.

GrizLA said:
The top 5 teams of the Big Sky all look pretty good. I think UM is going to miss the play of Krislovic. The guy had such an intense desire to win. He put it all out there game after game.

I think the team will miss his consistent defense the most. With that said, the offense will be better. Dorsey is a great perimeter shooter and can score. Oguine, Rorie, and Dorsey are all capable of averaging 15+ plus per game, but won't need to. Falls will improve upon a solid Freshman season. Pridgett has worked on his 3 pt shooting, and will prove to be a 3 level scorer. Kramer will emerge as an inside scorer, defender, and rebounder (think Qvale like rebounder, once he gains a little experience). Moorehead will be among the best defenders in the conference, and I have a feeling he will be a more willing 3 point shooter this season. Akoh, is even stronger and more athletic than he was last season.

As for desire to win, this SR group + plus Dorsey have that intense desire as well. They won't accept any player letting down one bit. That group expects to not only be at the top of the conference, but be no worse than a 12 seed in the NCAA tournament. This is the team DeCuire has waited for to actually make a splash in the NCAA tournament. Barring great health, personally, I wont be surprised to see them be a NCAA Cinderella. Travis won't come out and say it, but I will. This team can make a huge splash this season. Don't be surprised to see them break the single season team record for wins.

Their achilles heel last season was 3 point shooting. That will no longer be a major weakness. Even if they improve 2% points, that will be a huge help. Also, keep in mind, the likes of Miller, Manuel, and Egun are improved talent to practice against/with. Don't under estimate the value in that.

GRIZ NATION, this will be a special season for GRIZ Basketball!!!! :thumb:

mtgrizrule said:
GrizLA said:

I think the team will miss his consistent defense the most. With that said, the offense will be better. Dorsey is a great perimeter shooter and can score. Oguine, Rorie, and Dorsey are all capable of averaging 15+ plus per game, but won't need to. Falls will improve upon a solid Freshman season. Pridgett has worked on his 3 pt shooting, and will prove to be a 3 level scorer. Kramer will emerge as an inside scorer, defender, and rebounder (think Qvale like rebounder, once he gains a little experience). Moorehead will be among the best defenders in the conference, and I have a feeling he will be a more willing 3 point shooter this season. Akoh, is even stronger and more athletic than he was last season.

As for desire to win, this SR group + plus Dorsey have that intense desire as well. They won't accept any player letting down one bit. That group expects to not only be at the top of the conference, but be no worse than a 12 seed in the NCAA tournament. This is the team DeCuire has waited for to actually make a splash in the NCAA tournament. Barring great health, personally, I wont be surprised to see them be a NCAA Cinderella. Travis won't come out and say it, but I will. This team can make a huge splash this season. Don't be surprised to see them break the single season team record for wins.

Their achilles heel last season was 3 point shooting. That will no longer be a major weakness. Even if they improve 2% points, that will be a huge help. Also, keep in mind, the likes of Miller, Manuel, and Egun are improved talent to practice against/with. Don't under estimate the value in that.

This. I always enjoy your b-ball posts.

astutegriz said:
mtgrizrule said:
GrizLA said:

This. I always enjoy your b-ball posts.

Agreed. Great post, mtgrizrule. Very accurate, I think; agree 100% Got my tix and I'm ready to roll.

Yes, we'll miss Krslovic's savvy. Kramer, like Qvale, may be bigger and more athletic than Krslovic, but remember, Qvale struggled his freshman year. He tried to block everything and got into foul trouble often as a result. Krslovic became a very smart player by his senior year, especially the way DeCuire asks bigs to come out to defend on the perimiter. We'll definitely miss him.

What I'm looking forward to is individual growth, player by player. Falls should be better as a sophomore. Pridgett last year so often "just missed," a slam dunk (one in particular that would have put the Portland State game on ice much sooner), an open jumper here, a trey there. I expect him to blossom these next two years, a star in the making. I'm hoping Oguine has improved his shooting; if so, he could make an NBA roster. Hard to see how Rorie can improve, but one always can, and I'm sure he's worked on his game.

Of course, a healthy Dorsey could be a huge addition.

Can't wait.

mtgrizrule said:
GrizLA said:

GRIZ NATION, this will be a special season for GRIZ Basketball!!!!

I agree! This team is gonna be nine deep! We’ll have Egun, Pritchett, Falls, and Manuel coming of the bench, with the starting five: Rorie, Oguine, Dorsey, Akoh, and Kramer (I’m assuming)! This is gonna be a more athletic squad than last year! Are they gonna red shirt Anderson? If not there’s he and Peter Jones coming off the bench too! This could be a sweet 16 team! Arizona is gonna have their hands full with this bunch. It might be an upset, like the Qvale group that beat UCLA. Line you said, this could be a very special :thumb: season. Might be one of the top couple teams of all time to put on Grizzly uniforms!
:thumb:

Qvale didn't redshirt though, so hopefully Kramer grew and developed enough to avoid too many of those "freshman fouls". I'm hoping that they start off strong and don't sleepwalk through games. I hate when teams play down to their opponents. I want to see them manhandle teams they should, play tough against better competition, learn throughout the season, and peak come March Madness! hahaha. Pipe dream I know...

Timmy Falls is the guy I'm most excited about for this year, he really flashed at times last year and I think he can build on that freshman season and become an impact guy more consistently. We've mentioned the 3pt shooting as an issue in the thread but Falls was the one guy to make them at a good rate (41%). He didn't get to take a ton of 3s but his stoke looked great and the results were there so I think he's are surest bet to improving from beyond the arc.

Beyond that, I love his ability to play with pace and get to the rim. If he builds on last season we'll have to find him more minutes and probably consider giving a Falls, Rorie, and Oguine lineup some pretty good minutes.

rocklobster said:
mtgrizrule said:
GrizLA said:

I agree! This team is gonna be nine deep! We’ll have Egun, Pritchett, Falls, and Manuel coming of the bench, with the starting five: Rorie, Oguine, Dorsey, Akoh, and Kramer (I’m assuming)! This is gonna be a more athletic squad than last year! Are they gonna red shirt Anderson? If not there’s he and Peter Jones coming off the bench too! This could be a sweet 16 team! Arizona is gonna have their hands full with this bunch. It might be an upset, like the Qvale group that beat UCLA. Line you said, this could be a very special :thumb: season. Might be one of the top couple teams of all time to put on Grizzly uniforms!

You forgot Headband Bobby

rocklobster said:
mtgrizrule said:
GrizLA said:

Manuel has to sit this season, due to the transfer rule. Nonetheless, his contribution in practice, scrimmages, experience, and leadership is very a big luxury.

citay said:
Yes, we'll miss Krslovic's savvy. Kramer, like Qvale, may be bigger and more athletic than Krslovic, but remember, Qvale struggled his freshman year. He tried to block everything and got into foul trouble often as a result. Krslovic became a very smart player by his senior year, especially the way DeCuire asks bigs to come out to defend on the perimiter. We'll definitely miss him.

What I'm looking forward to is individual growth, player by player. Falls should be better as a sophomore. Pridgett last year so often "just missed," a slam dunk (one in particular that would have put the Portland State game on ice much sooner), an open jumper here, a trey there. I expect him to blossom these next two years, a star in the making. I'm hoping Oguine has improved his shooting; if so, he could make an NBA roster. Hard to see how Rorie can improve, but one always can, and I'm sure he's worked on his game.

Of course, a healthy Dorsey could be a huge addition.

Can't wait.

That is possible with Kramer, but not anything I am worried about. Every coach, player, and Riley spoke very highly of Kramer. It is likely, he will be introduced to college ball at a gradual pace. I also recall his video highlights, I liked that he blocked/contested shots by going straight up, without flailing his arms to attempt blocks. Qvale would often have a lot of forward momentum and arms going forward. Foul trouble shouldn't be as much of an issue with Kramer. That's just my observation though.

debellatio said:
rocklobster said:
mtgrizrule said:
GrizLA said:

You forgot Headband Bobby

Oh my God! Bobby! Damn! Sorry!

I said last year that the Griz team might be one of the best in history. And people laughed at me. (Actually, they were laughing with me, not at me, okay?) I can't wait to watch the 2018-2019 team!

AllWeatherFan said:
I said last year that the Griz team might be one of the best in history. And people laughed at me. (Actually, they were laughing with me, not at me, okay?) I can't wait to watch the 2018-2019 team!

AllWeatherFan said:

I've been saying that every year for years....and I'm right. They get better every year.

Back