• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

My Message to Our Team

citygriz

Hey, guys, I'm a long-time ardent Griz fan. And here is my message to you.

I am damned proud of you!

You don't play Division 1-AA as in football. You take on the top teams in the country, period.

By any reckoning, Creighton is one of the top teams in the country. Their subsequent effort against Gonzaga proved that.

Against you, they shot lights-out, better than any team, college or pro, that I have ever seen. Hats off to them! Sometimes, another team just is better, and on this night, Creighton was.

You were down two key rotational players.

You played on their home court, and endured what I thought were several phantom calls--which put you in tough one-and-one and bonus situations.

And despite all this, you never quit. You kept fighting, scratching, hustling. You impressed anybody who watched with your potential.

So don't be discouraged. Keep up the good work. Some wonderful triumphs are ahead for you, I promise.

You are the stuff of champions.

citay said:

You don't play Division 1-AA as in football. You take on the top teams in the country, period.

By any reckoning, Creighton is one of the top teams in the country. Their subsequent effort against Gonzaga proved that.

Against you, they shot lights-out, better than any team, college or pro, that I have ever seen. Hats off to them! Sometimes, another team just is better, and on this night, Creighton was.

You played on their home court, and endured what I thought were several phantom calls--which put you in tough one-and-one and bonus situations.

And despite all this, you never quit. You kept fighting, scratching, hustling. You impressed anybody who watched with your potential.

So don't be discouraged. Keep up the good work. Some wonderful triumphs are ahead for you, I promise.

Without much research, I think Montana also shot better than average and if they can continue that, this is going to be a stellar year. It was an odd game. Even though it was a lopsided score, for those watching, it seemed closer than it was. Even the stat sheets reflect it.

citay said:

Am working on my second box of Kleenex with this. :thumb:

Citay, does it hurt to balance things out? A little honesty on weaknesses would do wonders too.

How about adding the importance of hitting FT's, at no worse than 75% (I 100% believe that is a realistic team goal). How about the importance of in your face defense, and tough mentality on the boards? Last year's GRIZ ended up being good at FT's (by the end of the season), and great on the boards and defensively, and the results showed.

This year, we are seeing a few too many defensive breakdowns, getting beat on the boards, and absolutely unacceptable team FT shooting. Had those things been prevalent against Creighton, that would have been a closer game. As it was, the GRIZ hung with them for close to 30 minutes. Krslovic gave the team 2 of those things, in toughness and defense. As a team, they absolutely have to find those things again.

I like the message. Feel the same way.

Ya, also better defense, better focus and better free throws. But, I"d be happy not to mention those things, like citay didn't.

I've got to go, Rock. It's all right. I'm not afraid. Sometimes, when things are going wrong, when the breaks are beating the boys, tell them to go out and win one for the Gipper. I don't know where I'll be then, Rock. But I'll know about it and I'll be happy.

They have some new pieces this year and they are still trying to gel as a team. They only went 7 deep last season and were very fortunate to avoid injuries. This season they are playing 10 guys with injuries to Okoh and Falls. It takes some time to figure out what everyone is going to do and where they need to be on defense and in transition. Being out of position on rebounds is something that they will have to work on. Their style of defense puts them in bad situations a lot on rebounds. I like the fact that this team is deeper than last season and they have a lot of different weapons at their disposal. I will watch as many games as I can.

grizaremoregooder said:
They have some new pieces this year and they are still trying to gel as a team. They only went 7 deep last season and were very fortunate to avoid injuries. This season they are playing 10 guys with injuries to Okoh and Falls. It takes some time to figure out what everyone is going to do and where they need to be on defense and in transition. Being out of position on rebounds is something that they will have to work on. Their style of defense puts them in bad situations a lot on rebounds. I like the fact that this team is deeper than last season and they have a lot of different weapons at their disposal. I will watch as many games as I can.

Good post. This summarizes my general view too.

Solution is simple. UM needs to schedule more weak teams so that the Griz can win them all. That way, everyone's happy, until March...then, we can blame the refs, or the Big Sky Conf.

Latest posts

Back