• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Has Mountain West Been a 1-Bid Conference in Past 3 years?

PlayerRep

I think the Mountain West has been a one-bid conference in the last 3 years.

Everett, is that right? If so, it's the same as the Big Sky.

Nevada is very good this year, but will Utah St or Fresno St get in this year?

2018-19 MW Standings
TEAM CONF GB OVR
Nevada 8-1 - 21-1
Utah State 7-2 1 17-5
Fresno State 7-2 1 16-5
San Diego State 5-3 2.5 13-8
UNLV 5-4 3 11-10
Boise State 5-4 3 10-12
Colorado State 4-5 4 9-13
Air Force 4-6 4.5 9-13
New Mexico 3-6 5 9-12
Wyoming 1-7 6.5 5-16
San José St 0-9 8 3-18

Mountain West Tournament Bids

2017/18: 2 (Nevada, San Diego State)
2016/17: 1 (Nevada)
2015/16: 1 Fresno State
2014/15: 3 (Boise State, San Diego Diego, Wyoming)
2013/14: 2 (New Mexico, San Diego State)
2012/13: 5 (Boise State, Colorado State, UNLV, New Mexico, San Diego State)

grizband said:
Mountain West Tournament Bids

2017/18: 2 (Nevada, San Diego State)
2016/17: 1 (Nevada)
2015/16: 1 Fresno State
2014/15: 3 (Boise State, San Diego Diego, Wyoming)
2013/14: 2 (New Mexico, San Diego State)
2012/13: 5 (Boise State, Colorado State, UNLV, New Mexico, San Diego State)

Thanks. I had seen an article saying that they would be one bid last time, unless Boise St made it (and they didn't). Didn't look far enough. Thx.

So after 5 teams in 2013, only 4 in the last 3 tourneys.

The bottom half of the conference looks very weak this year.

PlayerRep said:

2018-19 MW Standings
TEAM CONF GB OVR
Nevada 8-1 - 21-1
Utah State 7-2 1 17-5
Fresno State 7-2 1 16-5
UNLV 5-4 3 11-10
Boise State 5-4 3 10-12
Air Force 4-6 4.5 9-13
New Mexico 3-6 5 9-12
Wyoming 1-7 6.5 5-16
San José St 0-9 8 3-18

No. It's actually very incorrect. Here, let me google that for you....

And the bottom half of that conference would crush everyone in the bsc with the exception of weber and UM.

EverettGriz said:
PlayerRep said:

2018-19 MW Standings
TEAM CONF GB OVR
Nevada 8-1 - 21-1
Utah State 7-2 1 17-5
Fresno State 7-2 1 16-5
UNLV 5-4 3 11-10
Boise State 5-4 3 10-12
Air Force 4-6 4.5 9-13
New Mexico 3-6 5 9-12
Wyoming 1-7 6.5 5-16
San José St 0-9 8 3-18

And the bottom half of that conference would crush everyone in the bsc with the exception of weber and UM.

Sorry, but the bottom half of the MW would not crush all but 2 in the Big Sky. Wouldn't even crush all but 3. San Jose St. is 331 in RPI. Wyo. is 323. Air Force is 239. The Big Sky has 2 teams about the 4th team in the MW, and 3 teams above the 5th and 6th teams in the MW.

I think it's hilarious that you think UM needs to move from a 1 bid conference to a 1.33 bid conference. That's pretty funny. Looking at RPI and some of the early bracket predictions, the MW will probably be a one bid conference this year too.

One big difference is seeding.

2018 - 7 & 11.....................(Montana was 14)
2017 - 12..........................(North Dakota - 15)
2016 - 14..........................(Weber State - 15)
2015 - 8, 11 & 12.................(Eastern Washington - 13)
2014 - 4 & 7.......................(Weber State - 16)
2013 - 3, 5, 7, 8, 13............. (Montana - 13)

So, 8.7 seed average vs. 14.3. Having a 8/9 match-up is much more favorable than facing a 3 seed or better every year. Has the Big Sky ever gotten better than a 12 seed since the expanded field?

PlayerRep said:
EverettGriz said:
PlayerRep said:

2018-19 MW Standings
TEAM CONF GB OVR
Nevada 8-1 - 21-1
Utah State 7-2 1 17-5
Fresno State 7-2 1 16-5
UNLV 5-4 3 11-10
Boise State 5-4 3 10-12
Air Force 4-6 4.5 9-13
New Mexico 3-6 5 9-12
Wyoming 1-7 6.5 5-16
San José St 0-9 8 3-18

Sorry, but the bottom half of the MW would not crush all but 2 in the Big Sky. Wouldn't even crush all but 3. San Jose St. is 331 in RPI. Wyo. is 323. Air Force is 239. The Big Sky has 2 teams about the 4th team in the MW, and 3 teams above the 5th and 6th teams in the MW.

I think it's hilarious that you think UM needs to move from a 1 bid conference to a 1.33 bid conference. That's pretty funny. Looking at RPI and some of the early bracket predictions, the MW will probably be a one bid conference this year too.

But I think the point is MW can be a multibid conference, a conference isnt a 1 bid conference because one year it literally only got 1 bid....1 bid conferences are those that will never EVER get 2 bids like the bigsky

I wonder how many MWC teams have to panhandle in order to send their dance team to their conference tournament.

grizindabox said:
PlayerRep said:
EverettGriz said:
I can’t believe we even need to explain this shit to pr.

Explain that you want to go to a 1.33 bid conference?

Last I looked 1.33 >>>>1.

Are you proposing that UM should bankrupt its athletic department, and maybe the university too, to get to a conference with an average of .33 more NCAA bids?

EverettGriz said:
I wonder how many MWC teams have to panhandle in order to send their dance team to their conference tournament.

I assume none. Wouldn't it be nice to have a school that had enough financial supporters to adequately fund its athletic department?

PlayerRep said:
grizindabox said:
PlayerRep said:
EverettGriz said:
I can’t believe we even need to explain this shit to pr.

Are you proposing that UM should bankrupt its athletic department, and maybe the university too, to get to a conference with an average of .33 NCAA bids?

I didn't say any such thing. Seems I am suggesting that a team would have a 33% better chance to get an at-large bid in the MWC as opposed to the BSC.

Actually they’d have nearly a 300% better chance over the last five years, but of course pr likes to cherry pick his stats in a desperate attempt to somehow show the bsc is relevant and not the shit show it is.

And their dance teams are infinitely more likely to, well, Dance.

EverettGriz said:
Actually they’d have nearly a 300% better chance over the last five years, but of course pr likes to cherry pick his stats in a desperate attempt to somehow show the bsc is relevant and not the shit show it is.

And their dance teams are infinitely more likely to, well, Dance.

Actually, the 5-year ncaa bid year drops out of the calculation this year, which will decrease MW distributions to the conference about $1.3 million this year.

Every article talks about how far the MW has fallen in basketball. You are living in the distant past.

Windmill Chaser.

grizindabox said:
PlayerRep said:
grizindabox said:
PlayerRep said:

Are you proposing that UM should bankrupt its athletic department, and maybe the university too, to get to a conference with an average of .33 NCAA bids?

I didn't say any such thing. Seems I am suggesting that a team would have a 33% better chance to get an at-large bid in the MWC as opposed to the BSC.

I just asked you a question. That's what we're discussing. Is it any big deal for UM to try to get to a conference that has averaged 1.33 teams in the Dance in the past 3 years?

PlayerRep said:
grizindabox said:
PlayerRep said:
grizindabox said:

I just asked you a question. That's what we're discussing. Is it any big deal for UM to try to get to a conference that has averaged 1.33 teams in the Dance in the past 3 years?

Just my opinion, but I would welcome a move the the MWC, it is a better Conference. But I get the financial aspect, and don't think there is any chance with the current state of the NCAA.

I'd love to see Montana in the MWC. Logistics. I'm probably stretching things here a bit, but travel to all the MWC locations (with possible exception of Logan) would probably be easier and less costly than to Greeley, Flagstaff, Cedar City and possibly Pocatello & Moscow!

grizzlyjournal said:
I'd love to see Montana in the MWC. Logistics. I'm probably stretching things here a bit, but travel to all the MWC locations (with possible exception of Logan) would probably be easier and less costly than to Greeley, Flagstaff, Cedar City and possibly Pocatello & Moscow!

Yeah, better for us, but harder for everyone else to get to MSO.

Back