• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Lady Griz

Montana played a good game. Shot a solid 42% from the floor, rebounded well and had two good shots on two good sets on offense in the final seconds that bounced off. They can build on this one.

HookedonGriz said:
Led every quarter but the last. Damnit these teams need to figure out how to close a game.

The end was pretty ugly. Had a wiiiiide open 3ft bunny at the basket with about 8 seconds left that would've put the ladies up and clanked it.

The other thing I've noticed...the offense motion is pretty good at getting girls open, but they either don't see it because they're just dribbling the ball with their head down or they're about 3 seconds late to get the ball to the open person - almost like they're playing confused and tentative, or when the player who is open does get the ball and gets the open look...not often it goes in (it seems).

Just about the only player on offense they can rely on to hit a shot on a regular basis is Henderson. Kenzie's shooting has gone in the toilet from wearing the mask - hopefully she doesn't need it soon.

One final quibble - where is the coaching adjustments? The game plan is great initially, then it seems there is no counter. I'm guessing that has to do with the injuries. #12 for Ewu killed the ladies every time she went left and made the basket almost every time. She did the same thing earlier in Missoula, so why did they leave her left open whenever she had the ball? Hard to say if that is coaching, or the players routinely brain farting on what the coach told them.

The lack of experience is clearly evident...both from the youth of the players and the inexperience of the coach. If next year looks like this year....hard to say how long Schweyen has coaching the ladies.

MissoulaMarinerFan said:
HookedonGriz said:
Led every quarter but the last. Damnit these teams need to figure out how to close a game.

The end was pretty ugly. Had a wiiiiide open 3ft bunny at the basket with about 8 seconds left that would've put the ladies up and clanked it.

The other thing I've noticed...the offense motion is pretty good at getting girls open, but they either don't see it because they're just dribbling the ball with their head down or they're about 3 seconds late to get the ball to the open person - almost like they're playing confused and tentative, or when the player who is open does get the ball and gets the open look...not often it goes in (it seems).

Just about the only player on offense they can rely on to hit a shot on a regular basis is Henderson. Kenzie's shooting has gone in the toilet from wearing the mask - hopefully she doesn't need it soon.

One final quibble - where is the coaching adjustments? The game plan is great initially, then it seems there is no counter. I'm guessing that has to do with the injuries. #12 for Ewu killed the ladies every time she went left and made the basket almost every time. She did the same thing earlier in Missoula, so why did they leave her left open whenever she had the ball? Hard to say if that is coaching, or the players routinely brain farting on what the coach told them.

The lack of experience is clearly evident...both from the youth of the players and the inexperience of the coach. If next year looks like this year....hard to say how long Schweyen has coaching the ladies

Henderson has helped with rebounding and is physical. They have a good guard, but the teams greatest deficit is the coaching. You can make excuses for injuries, but Haslam would be wise to start putting feelers out. They are not even contenders and this is her third year. She needs to pull a rabbit out of her hat.

Well, Lady Griz could use injuries as an excuse, but now the Bobcat women team can use injury as an excuse. Bobcats lost their leading scorer, Claire Lundberg, to an ACL injury and is out for the season. ACL injuries isn't just a Lady Griz problem.

TrueGriz said:
Well, Lady Griz could use injuries as an excuse, but now the Bobcat women team can use injury as an excuse. Bobcats lost their leading scorer, Claire Lundberg, to an ACL injury and is out for the season. ACL injuries isn't just a Lady Griz problem.

Possibly....but I disagree. 4 ACLS in 3 years (Valley back to back years, Sims, then Stiles)... feels like something more than "bad luck."

I don't have a complete list of all the injuries that have plagued the Lady Griz for the last three years. I'll add one more name to your '**** injury' list: Klick. The injury problem has been extensively discussed on eGriz. Schweyen's contract is up this year. Haslam's dilemma.
****Edit note: thought it was knee, but was back.

tourist said:
I don't have a complete list of all the injuries that have plagued the Lady Griz for the last three years. I'll add one more name to your 'knee injury' list: Klick. The injury problem has been extensively discussed on eGriz. Schweyen's contract is up this year. Haslam's dilemma.

I thought her's was an existing back issue (thought she had a surgery or 2 on it previously) - but I could be wrong. Really, outside of the knee stuff, it's just been a foot injury to Schoening, Mayhue and a foot(?) injury to Goligoski - though it kinda hurts because all those happened this season.

Also - agreed - I wouldn't want to be in Haslam's shoes.

I think you're right(my damn memory, and confirmed after I posted :oops: ), and brought in from high school. Career ending.
Guess she would rather walk than be known for her last layup. :thumb:

Anyone close to the program know how much time they put into ACL prevention exercises? It's not all world, but there is some evidence that shows can be helpful.

MissoulaMarinerFan said:
TrueGriz said:

Possibly....but I disagree. 4 ACLS in 3 years (Valley back to back years, Sims, then Stiles)... feels like something more than "bad luck."

Well, now, I don't know what your disagreeing with. Never said that anything about which program was just bad luck and which one was a conspiracy or more than just bad luck. Just possibly the Lady Griz are doing something really bad that is causing these injuries. Or maybe the Bobcats are doing the same thing but just got lucky until now.

TrueGriz said:
MissoulaMarinerFan said:
TrueGriz said:

Well, now, I don't know what your disagreeing with. Never said that anything about which program was just bad luck and which one was a conspiracy or more than just bad luck. Just possibly the Lady Griz are doing something really bad that is causing these injuries. Or maybe the Bobcats are doing the same thing but just got lucky until now.
My fault - I mis-interpreted what you wrote. I understand better what you meant, now.

I don’t know where Haslam goes from here, and I don’t think he is going to be the only one making it, but he is going to be saddled with a tough decision.

This program is sliding backwards and I don’t know (because I don’t) how much of it is related to injury problems. How much emphasis can be put on those injuries, and how much of it is not only coaching but personnel? Like I said, I just don’t have a sense as to what the answer to those questions is.

Montana State has had more success in state, and programs like Portland State and Northern Colorado have surpassed the Lady Griz as well. I don’t envy having to taking a deep dive into the program and addressing those issues. Likely there are going to be some baggage to overcome. Could get ugly.

Grizfan-24 said:
I don’t know where Haslam goes from here, and I don’t think he is going to be the only one making it, but he is going to be saddled with a tough decision.

This program is sliding backwards and I don’t know (because I don’t) how much of it is related to injury problems. How much emphasis can be put on those injuries, and how much of it is not only coaching but personnel? Like I said, I just don’t have a sense as to what the answer to those questions is.

Montana State has had more success in state, and programs like Portland State and Northern Colorado have surpassed the Lady Griz as well. I don’t envy having to taking a deep dive into the program and addressing those issues. Likely there are going to be some baggage to overcome. Could get ugly.
Agreed. Have to wonder how much weight is being held to head coaching "experience" too. I know Coach Shannon had been on the sidelines forever with Coach Selvig - but being an assistant and running the whole show are two different animals. Here and there, there are sparks where the ladies look really good - especially when they look to push the ball and be more up-tempo than what we saw with Selvig. Other times, not so good. Consistently inconsistent. This almost - but not quite - since Coach Shannon has been in and around the program forever - feels like the basketball version of the Bob Stitt era.

MissoulaMarinerFan said:
Grizfan-24 said:

Agreed. Have to wonder how much weight is being held to head coaching "experience" too. I know Coach Shannon had been on the sidelines forever with Coach Selvig - but being an assistant and running the whole show are two different animals. Here and there, there are sparks where the ladies look really good - especially when they look to push the ball and be more up-tempo than what we saw with Selvig. Other times, not so good. Consistently inconsistent. This almost - but not quite - since Coach Shannon has been in and around the program forever - feels like the basketball version of the Bob Stitt era.

I have heard things over the last three years that bear some consideration and would concern me about long term prospects of the program under the current leadership. Because I don’t have real tactile information, it just conjecture at this point and doesn’t make sense to air in public.

My issues, at least from watching is how outclassed they can look at times. Again that very well could be injuries and atrophy within the lineup that creates it, but they look overwhelmed at times against mediocre competition.

What I wonder is, if all things being equal and players being healthy, what is the actual ceiling of this group? I don’t know the answer to that, but while our expectations might be 1st there is enough evidence that we are a long, long way from that at this point.

Grizfan-24 said:
What I wonder is, if all things being equal and players being healthy, what is the actual ceiling of this group? I don’t know the answer to that, but while our expectations might be 1st there is enough evidence that we are a long, long way from that at this point.
Not sure any body does. Seems like each time it starts to come together, the injury bug hits.

Haslam has not been one to tip his hand as to what he is thinking. One can only infer from his previous actions what might be about to happen.

The Bob Stitt Era, contract set to expire about a month and a half after the Griz-cat game, ended with this statement, presumably from Haslam, released Monday afternoon after the game:

"These decisions are always difficult, and I understand this impacts many people. I appreciate Bob's contributions to the University of Montana and Grizzly Athletics. He worked tirelessly to move the football program forward with a focus on overall student-athlete success."
He later stated, "...we need to get the toughness back, the swagger."

So, he does have a rough and tough side, and his press releases are just sugar coated bullshit.
No early season contract extension, just silence. He recognized what was the best damn football program in the FCS had, over the years, turned to shit. It wasn't going anywhere anytime soon. His idea of a quick fix from Stitt, had failed.

One of the best mid-major WBB programs was led forever by Robin Selvig. His longtime assistant was tapped to continue the success three years ago. Contract period is now up. Lady Griz in the middle of the pack. No offer of a contract extension, just silence. About a month and a half left in the season. Why the lack of continued success? That's for Haslam to figure out. I doubt he reads eGriz for unsolicited wisdom.

I would hope he'd give Schweyen a year or two to right the ship, acknowledging the impact of injuries on the program. I also assume he has looked into the prevalence of injuries to her players, and has concluded there is no relation of injuries to coaching practices. If there was a relationship, he should have acted long ago.

tourist said:
The Bob Stitt Era, contract set to expire about a month and a half after the Griz-cat game, ended with this statement, presumably from Haslam, released Monday afternoon after the game:

"These decisions are always difficult, and I understand this impacts many people. I appreciate Bob's contributions to the University of Montana and Grizzly Athletics. He worked tirelessly to move the football program forward with a focus on overall student-athlete success."
He later stated, "...we need to get the toughness back, the swagger."

So, he does have a rough and tough side, and his press releases are just sugar coated bullshit.
No early season contract extension, just silence. He recognized what was the best damn football program in the FCS had, over the years, turned to shit. It wasn't going anywhere anytime soon. His idea of a quick fix from Stitt, had failed.

One of the best FCS WBB programs was led forever by Robin Selvig. His longtime assistant was tapped to continue the success three years ago. Contract period is now up. Lady Griz in the middle of the pack. No offer of a contract extension, just silence. About a month and a half left in the season. Why the lack of continued success? That's for Haslam to figure out. I doubt he reads eGriz for unsolicited wisdom.

I would hope he'd give Schweyen a year or two to right the ship, acknowledging the impact of injuries on the program. I also assume he has looked into the prevalence of injuries to her players, and has concluded there is no relation of injuries to coaching practices. If there was a relationship, he should have acted long ago.
Agreed - sometimes it is just fun to speculate - I sure as hell wouldn't want to be in his position.

Back