• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Michael Oguine

citygriz

I've long felt MIchael Oguine lacked one quality from being a second-round NBA pick:

A big ego.

During his tenure at Montana, Oguine has been all about the team. No matter Rorie was the pre-season Big Sky MVP. Or Pridgett started to pile up Player-of-the Week awards. As long as Montana was winning--and we were--Oguine was happy. His numbers were secondary.

Defensive player of the Year in the BIg Sky? Faint praise! Like saying Ali could fight off the ropes. Or Stevie Ray Vaughn was a guitar player. Oguine has the quickest first step I've seen this side of the NBA. His slashes to the basket are unstoppable. He's often our leading rebounder--from the guard position. And as Krslovic said last night, you just don't see his kind of athleticism in the Big Sky Conference.

But last night, with Pridgett off his game and Rorie M.I.A., we got a glimpse of the all-round talents of Oguine. He could not be denied; he willed us to victory. Every element of his game was on full display. And it was a performance of undiluted beauty.

I hope our p.r. department sends a tape of this game to every NBA team. I hope our coaches are using every available contact to make NBA teams aware of Oguine's talents. Because if he wants to continue his career in basketball, of this I am sure from watching so many Warriors games: There's only one place Oguine should be playing.

The NBA.

I don't know if there's ever been a better ambassador for the Griz basketball program. Smart, unselfish, confident, and extremely talented. And just like citay wrote, he's all about "team." Michael Oguine clearly deserves to be on an NBA roster when he finishes his UM career.

AllWeatherFan said:
I don't know if there's ever been a better ambassador for the Griz basketball program. Smart, unselfish, confident, and extremely talented. And just like citay wrote, he's all about "team." Michael Oguine clearly deserves to be on an NBA roster when he finishes his UM career.

I do agree.

Oguine is a natural athlete. Fast, quick, strong, intelligent who is an excellent basketball player. He could have excelled in most any sport and maybe did. As another poster commented, he displays no ego. He is a winner!

He’s not a lights-out shooter like Lillard, and can’t make free throws. But man, can he jump and he’s so fast!

Might be my fav guard in recent times and I’d love to see him make it to the bigs, but, kind of like cherry, he’s not a good enough shooter for his size.

You need people like me so you can point your fuckin' fingers and say, 'That's the bad guy.’

garizzalies said:
Might be my fav guard in recent times and I’d love to see him make it to the bigs, but, kind of like cherry, he’s not a good enough shooter for his size.

You need people like me so you can point your f***[*]' fingers and say, 'That's the bad guy.’

Maybe but we all know how much the nba values defense. :mrgreen:

Such a great athlete, nearly a 4.0 student in the Business School, nicest kid you’ll ever meet, fierce competitor. We need one of these guys in every class. He will be missed

WaGriz4life said:
Such a great athlete, nearly a 4.0 student in the Business School, nicest kid you’ll ever meet, fierce competitor. We need one of these guys in every class. He will be missed
Wow Mr. Oguine- Very Impressive job in the classroom as well as on the court! :clap:

His free shooting has become better. He kept the Griz in the game Monday night.
But he puts so much in both ends of the court, it probably hurts his free throw shooting some.
Check the NBA. Conversely I feel the best free throw shooters aren't the best defenders. I know Curry isn't known for d and I don't think Harden is either.

AZDoc said:
I've been looking for a video of his dunk. Anyone know where I can find it?

The video highlights of the game on www.gogriz.com will have the dunk, and I believe all his other dunks in the game.

TrueGriz said:
AZDoc said:
I've been looking for a video of his dunk. Anyone know where I can find it?

The video highlights of the game on www.gogriz.com will have the dunk, and I believe all his other dunks in the game.

thank you. that's the first place I looked, and must've just glanced over it!

marooncoloredglasses said:
His free shooting has become better. He kept the Griz in the game Monday night.
But he puts so much in both ends of the court, it probably hurts his free throw shooting some.
Check the NBA. Conversely I feel the best free throw shooters aren't the best defenders. I know Curry isn't known for d and I don't think Harden is either.

He shoots 76% and 78% in conf. That’s on par with the NBA average. Everyone think people should shoot 90%...that pretty rare. Most players who are considered good FT shooters are in the 80s and amazing shooters hover around 90%

NBA won’t pay much attention to his D, expecially size he is so small. 6 ft 2 is small for SG in the NBA. He needs to improve his ball handling and consistancy from 3 if he wants a NBA shot. He has a decent mid game and drives well. But NBA moved away for mid range play. We will draw looks for his vertical and his agility but sadly some of his best features are not important in the nba. I hope he gets a shot if he wants one, he’s so talented and fun to watch, that first step he has...is fantastic

Michael consistently gets the crap knocked out of him in the Big Sky. Can you imagine what those big bodies in the NBA would do to him?

Back