• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Way too early look at 2019-20 Lady Griz

MissoulaCanucksFan

Since there is already a similar thread on this topic for the Griz, I figured I'd start one for the Lady Griz.
Haven't heard much of anything regarding Shannon's status as head coach so I would expect she'll be back next season. Also bear in mind any guesses here are with the possibility of everybody coming back and no one leaving.

My guesses at the starting 5:
PG - McKenzie Johnston (RS Senior): No big shock here and probably the first player I can think of that will definitely start next season. With Jace Henderson graduating, Johnston effectively becomes the new heart & soul of the team and plays the point as fine as anybody in the Big Sky. Not afraid to play all 40 minutes (plus all OT minutes if any game goes to OT) at a time but we didn't see as much of that this season because she broke her nose (twice) and when she started wearing a protective mask it not only saw a downtick in her minutes but her production as well. Once the mask went away her effectiveness returned to normal.

G - Taylor Goligoski (RS Senior): Always thought of her as a solid defensive player. Was having a solid season before knee issues sunk her season.

G - Madi Schoening (RS Junior): Was poised for a bounce-back season after playing all of her sophomore season with a nagging kidney infection, but a foot injury caused her to miss the entire season save for the season opener at Gonzaga. Best performance as a Lady Griz so far was her double-double against MSU (2/24/18). Solid defender around the perimeter, and her prowess on defense was heavily missed in 18-19.

F - Emma Stockholm (Senior): Last season was her breakout season as she started all 30 games (along with Henderson). Good defender in the paint and I think she'll keep up her improved performance this season and carry it over to next season.

F/C - Jamie Pickens (Freshman): I'd be silly not to give this one a thought. And it's not very often the Lady Griz program manages to get a 4-star player. I list her as a four/five because she is that type of big that will be very difficult to defend when she's on the floor. Can not only do damage in the paint but can do damage on the perimeter as well. With that being said, if she scores points at the rate she did at the high school level then I think Shannon's scoring records could be in serious jeopardy once Jamie reaches her senior season.

Bench
6. Gabi Harrington (RS Junior)
7. Sophia Stiles (RS Sophomore)
8. Sammy Fatkin (Junior)
9. Katie Mayhue (Sophomore)
10. Abby Anderson (RS Sophomore)
11. Jordyn Schweyen (Sophomore)
12. Carmen Gfeller (Sophomore)
13. Kylie Frohlich (Sophomore)
14. Shelby Schweyen (Freshman)

I'm betting that Sophia Stiles will provide the spark that was missing this year. Agree that Jamie Pickens looks like a great addition. Should be a fun year.

Replace Gologoski with Stiles.
Replace Pickens with Sammy Fatkin.

small lineup but with more athleticism.
If everyone stays healthy, Both Schweyens, Gfeller, and Frolich can redshirt. I think Mayhue will play and be a key bench player.

How can you NOT have Sophia in the starting lineup unless God forbid she transfers as there has been some speculation on this.

griz71 said:
How can you NOT have Sophia in the starting lineup unless God forbid she transfers as there has been some speculation on this.

Similarly, how can you not have Gabby in the starting lineup. Wasn’t she the leading scorer for most of last season along with being a pretty good rebounder?

Tough calls on next years squad but I think Taylor and Maddie have their work cut out for them earning their spots back from Sophia, Gabbie, and Sammie. Mayhue was also a great outside shooter in her games last year. It may be tough keeping her off the floor also.

TrueGriz said:
Replace Gologoski with Stiles.
Replace Pickens with Sammy Fatkin.

small lineup but with more athleticism.
If everyone stays healthy, Both Schweyens, Gfeller, and Frolich can redshirt. I think Mayhue will play and be a key bench player.

I agree 100 with this. Stiles was the best freshman in the Big Sky when she got more minutes late and was healthy. Fatkin is a stud and only getting better. Mayhue was a huge addition for us last year until she got hurt. Can’t see those kids on the bench.

MissoulaCanucksFan said:
Since there is already a similar thread on this topic for the Griz, I figured I'd start one for the Lady Griz.
Haven't heard much of anything regarding Shannon's status as head coach so I would expect she'll be back next season. Also bear in mind any guesses here are with the possibility of everybody coming back and no one leaving.

My guesses at the starting 5:
PG - McKenzie Johnston (RS Senior): No big shock here and probably the first player I can think of that will definitely start next season. With Jace Henderson graduating, Johnston effectively becomes the new heart & soul of the team and plays the point as fine as anybody in the Big Sky. Not afraid to play all 40 minutes (plus all OT minutes if any game goes to OT) at a time but we didn't see as much of that this season because she broke her nose (twice) and when she started wearing a protective mask it not only saw a downtick in her minutes but her production as well. Once the mask went away her effectiveness returned to normal.

G - Taylor Goligoski (RS Senior): Always thought of her as a solid defensive player. Was having a solid season before knee issues sunk her season.

G - Madi Schoening (RS Junior): Was poised for a bounce-back season after playing all of her sophomore season with a nagging kidney infection, but a foot injury caused her to miss the entire season save for the season opener at Gonzaga. Best performance as a Lady Griz so far was her double-double against MSU (2/24/18). Solid defender around the perimeter, and her prowess on defense was heavily missed in 18-19.

F - Emma Stockholm (Senior): Last season was her breakout season as she started all 30 games (along with Henderson). Good defender in the paint and I think she'll keep up her improved performance this season and carry it over to next season.

F/C - Jamie Pickens (Freshman): I'd be silly not to give this one a thought. And it's not very often the Lady Griz program manages to get a 4-star player. I list her as a four/five because she is that type of big that will be very difficult to defend when she's on the floor. Can not only do damage in the paint but can do damage on the perimeter as well. With that being said, if she scores points at the rate she did at the high school level then I think Shannon's scoring records could be in serious jeopardy once Jamie reaches her senior season.

Bench
6. Gabi Harrington (RS Junior)
7. Sophia Stiles (RS Sophomore)
8. Sammy Fatkin (Junior)
9. Katie Mayhue (Sophomore)
10. Abby Anderson (RS Sophomore)
11. Jordyn Schweyen (Sophomore)
12. Carmen Gfeller (Sophomore)
13. Kylie Frohlich (Sophomore)
14. Shelby Schweyen (Freshman)

Katie is leaving and two others are considering transferring out. I do have to correct you on one thing though - Johnston is not a point guard by any stretch of the imagination. That is all I will say on that subject.

moneyball said:
Katie is leaving and two others are considering transferring out. I do have to correct you on one thing though - Johnston is not a point guard by any stretch of the imagination. That is all I will say on that subject.

A policy you should have instituted just prior to this statement.

PlayerRep said:
Is it just injuries that are causing players to leave or consider leaving?

Nope. Conjecture? Nope. Something is wrong and Haslam needs to get it corrected. People can bury their heads In the sand, but something needs to change now. Leaving the situation as is - will only delay the process and lead to a more difficult situation for the next coach.

Back