• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Transfer rules, etc.

717s7e

Is it true that a basketball player can become immediately eligible upon transfer if he gets a waiver from the prior college (as per sacstatemen's comments)?
Sacstateman,
I an not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I checked the NCAA website and don't find any reference to this rule change. The NCAA website would indicate that Michael Steadman will have to sit out a year. Do you have any reference on this that I could read?

I am perplexed because our transfer from Seattle Pacific (Tony Miller) had to sit a year yet in the same year Karl Nicholas was eligible to play at Stephen F. Austin without sitting a year. I heard that there was a hardship involved with Nicholas, but, if so, I assume it was a fabricated hardship because his family was not involved in the Houston floods and his mother has a big-time job - but there could be something I never heard about.

So, I am confused about Michael Steadman's status - can he play next year? I checked gogriz.com and they haven't yet made a formal announcement about him so perhaps that will come after the signing period starts on April 17th and may clarify the situation.

If Michael Steadman is eligible this year and if they could pick up another "big," I would vote for giving Mack Anderson a redshirt year.

Thoughts?

717s7e said:
Is it true that a basketball player can become immediately eligible upon transfer if he gets a waiver from the prior college (as per sacstatemen's comments)?
Sacstateman,
I an not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I checked the NCAA website and don't find any reference to this rule change. The NCAA website would indicate that Michael Steadman will have to sit out a year. Do you have any reference on this that I could read?

I am perplexed because our transfer from Seattle Pacific (Tony Miller) had to sit a year yet in the same year Karl Nicholas was eligible to play at Stephen F. Austin without sitting a year. I heard that there was a hardship involved with Nicholas, but, if so, I assume it was a fabricated hardship because his family was not involved in the Houston floods and his mother has a big-time job - but there could be something I never heard about.

So, I am confused about Michael Steadman's status - can he play next year? I checked gogriz.com and they haven't yet made a formal announcement about him so perhaps that will come after the signing period starts on April 17th and may clarify the situation.

If Michael Steadman is eligible this year and if they could pick up another "big," I would vote for giving Mack Anderson a redshirt year.

Thoughts?

It is all about the waiver being approved whether or not the player would be eligible. Last number that I saw was that a little over half have been approved. Here is a little blurb I found:

"The reasons given for the waiver requests vary quite a bit — coaching changes, injury or illness, environment, mental health and financial issues are some common categories. Within each of these categories, NCAA member schools have adopted guidelines that help NCAA staff make the right decision. It’s critical to understand that no two waivers are created equal. NONE. And don’t expect the NCAA staff or the school to divulge the reasons. These are kept private in accordance with federal student privacy laws. If the student-athlete wants to divulge the reason, then that’s up to him or her. To allow competition immediately after transfer between two four-year schools, there must be mitigating circumstances outside a student-athlete’s control. Academic records are considered as part of waiver requests to increase the chances of a seamless academic transition. The previous school’s stance on the transfer also is considered. When medical issues are referenced in a waiver request, NCAA staff members rely on documentation provided by the school, which often includes opinions from relevant subject-matter experts. For example, when a transfer waiver request is related to a medical need, a treating physician might offer an opinion. And NCAA staff members review each waiver request independently – with a focus on what is best for the student-athlete."

I was told this by email from a source that I thoroughly believe....

Below is what is on the NCAA transfer website this morning:

One-time transfer exception: If you transfer from a four-year school, you may be immediately eligible to compete at your new school if you meet ALL the following conditions:

*You are transferring to a Division II or III school, or you are transferring to a Division I school in any sport other than baseball, men's or women's basketball, football (Football Bowl Subdivision) or men's ice hockey. If you are transferring to a Division I school for any of the previously-listed sports, you may be eligible to compete immediately if you were not recruited by your original school and you have never received an athletics scholarship.

*You are academically and athletically eligible at your previous four-year school.

*You receive a transfer-release agreement from your previous four-year school.

This is different this year...previously, if I remember correctly, you had to have a hardship waiver (something like an illness in your family and you want to tranfer somewhere closer to home like Nicholas) .....I don't know if there were other waivers but this year changes things drastically...it remains to be seen whether schools will play hard ball with kids who want to transfer or they will try to be nice so that they will possibly be the recipient of some players too....

sacstateman said:
Below is what is on the NCAA transfer website this morning:

One-time transfer exception: If you transfer from a four-year school, you may be immediately eligible to compete at your new school if you meet ALL the following conditions:

*You are transferring to a Division II or III school, or you are transferring to a Division I school in any sport other than baseball, men's or women's basketball, football (Football Bowl Subdivision) or men's ice hockey. If you are transferring to a Division I school for any of the previously-listed sports, you may be eligible to compete immediately if you were not recruited by your original school and you have never received an athletics scholarship.

*You are academically and athletically eligible at your previous four-year school.

*You receive a transfer-release agreement from your previous four-year school.

This is different this year...previously, if I remember correctly, you had to have a hardship waiver (something like an illness in your family and you want to tranfer somewhere closer to home like Nicholas) .....I don't know if there were other waivers but this year changes things drastically...it remains to be seen whether schools will play hard ball with kids who want to transfer or they will try to be nice so that they will possibly be the recipient of some players too....

Back