• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Ryan Looney announced as new Idaho State head coach

Millhoop

Looney goes from SPU (D2) to Point Loma (D2 and finishing 2nd in the country) to Idaho State. I understand wanting a D1 gig but Idaho State?

westsider said:
From living in San Diego to living in Pocatello..... :lol:

Trading in an awesome situation with a great climate and lifestyle for some prestigious H/Coaching swag in Southern Idaho? Looney should go have his head examined...

Kabooom said:
westsider said:

Trading in an awesome situation with a great climate and lifestyle for some prestigious H/Coaching swag in Southern Idaho? Looney should go have his head examined...

He’s probably just worried about examining his checking account.

WyomingGrizFan said:
westsider said:
What's in Pocatello?
You mean besides substantially lower taxes and crime rate?

We all tend to pick on Pocatello (we certainly do here in Idaho Falls). But Pokie is really not all that bad.

Yes, compared to San Diego, you do lose the beaches nearby ... but you trade that for outstanding fishing (lake or stream), lake boating, and powder skiing not that far away. Plus plenty of places if you’re into four-wheeling, snowmobiles, or mountain bikes.

And just out of curiosity, I looked at comparative housing costs (coaches have to live somewhere). In San Diego, a run-of-the-mill tract home (3 bedroom, 2 baths) with no special amenities or views costs around $600,000 (with sick property taxes). That gets you about a thousand square feet on a 6000 sq. ft. lot. In Pocatello, I literally could not find anything that was directly comparable. Every 3-bed, 2-bath tract home I found was at least twice the home square footage on a lot that was more than twice as big. For that, you would pay about $150,000 … a quarter the money.

When I gave realtor.com a price range of $550-600 thousand, that got no hits within 20 miles of Pocatello. So I dropped the range to $450-600,000 and got a few. For $500,000, you get 4 bedrooms, 3+ baths, in 3980 sq. ft. on a 6.5 acre hillside lot with amazing views, vastly upgraded amenities, a barn and horse corral, and plenty of parking for an RV.

Rolberto's. Ain't no Taco Johns. Got some damn fine food for a decent price. There are plenty of excellent Mexican food places on the higher end. Looney should feel at home. Spanish is heard everywhere.

tourist said:
Rolberto's. Ain't no Taco Johns. Got some damn fine food for a decent price. There are plenty of excellent Mexican food places on the higher end. Looney should feel at home. Spanish is heard everywhere.

That is a very good thing.

First really good hire. PLNU isn't the easiest school to recruit to, considering the diverse hoops options in the region with more exposure. I think he'll have a good chance to succeed in Pocatello. I am really surprised other schools didn't come calling before ISU because he is highly respected in California.

Second, Mexican food is solid if not vastly underrated in Idaho. I know that seems odd, but there are some great places to get good Mexican food between Pocatello and Twin Falls. Rolberto's is in fact solid. A staple of mine living in Jerome.

Third, Point Loma and the area is more La Jolla, Encinitas than it is Chula Vista. There are good Mexican food places in Point Loma, but the best choices are in East County San Diego and Chula Vista. I'm lucky that I am not 350 pounds at this point, as I could eat carne asada burritos every day from some of the places here.

Latest posts

Back