• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Jared Samuelson coming back!

Interesting. 3d team all-American. 2d in conference in scoring, 18.5, and rebounding. Can he play right away because he's coming from nana and not NCAA? Or, grad transfer (can that be done in basketball?)P, or what?

https://montanasports.com/frontier/rocky-mountain-college/2019/03/28/jared-samuelson-earns-3rd-team-all-america-honors-for-rocky-mountain-college/

His outside shooting is way better as well. I think him, Yagi, Anderson and Dorsey have tons of athleticism to do the switching TDC likes with his posts on defense. Not a ton of height but don’t think we necessarily need it.

Wow this is a pretty big deal! He’s been an absolute beast for Rocky Mountain. He’s been player of the week for that conference it seemed like every week!

Always thought it was weird that he left in the first place. He played well and certainly looked like he belonged while at UM. I figured it had to do with both Akoh and Dorsey coming off their transfer year and he figured he wouldn't get to play.

I have covered Jared the last two seasons. Watching him play at the NAIA level, he was so good, I really thought he never should have left the Griz. I thought he should have been more patient. But now, I think the Griz are getting back a more polished, bigger, stronger, better Jared, who has really honed his skills. He could have a great role on next year's team.

This is terrific news. I saw Samuelson as a combination of Mathias Ward and Andrew Strait. This team is going to be very deep this coming season. I just hope, the lack of length inside does not hurt too badly.

Last year I watched Rocky play Western at Rocky. I was surprised to see that even though Jared was the biggest strongest player by far on either team, the coaches played him "out" rather than at the post. That experience will serve him well next year. But, I was surprised at how much of a drop there is in the talent between Big Sky and Frontier. It will be interesting to see how he makes the adjustment. Certainly he knows what he is getting into.

Big Sage said:
Does anyone think we will be better than we were the past 2 years?
I do!

I'd be pretty shocked if we were better than the past couple of years. Every returning player is going to be asked to do a lot more than the did the past couple seasons and only Sayeed has really shown he's ready for the role he'll have to take on. I do think we have enough to compete in the Big Sky though, especially if the new guys come in and make a big impact.

Anyways, nice to have Jared back, would be a really cool story if he comes back and gives this team a boost.

I can only speak for myself, but if interest in Griz basketball is to take off, then it has to have a strong presence of Montana kids. Not just bench warmers, but productive on offense and defense. Those from L.A., Seattle, Denver, on Timbuktu have absolutely no interest to me. Krystko types will create a following, and those 3,000 - 4,000 empty seats in Dahlberg might just get filled. Hope Mr. Samuelson kicks ass.

tourist said:
I can only speak for myself, but if interest in Griz basketball is to take off, then it has to have a strong presence of Montana kids. Not just bench warmers, but productive on offense and defense. Those from L.A., Seattle, Denver, on Timbuktu have absolutely no interest to me. Krystko types will create a following, and those 3,000 - 4,000 empty seats in Dahlberg might just get filled. Hope Mr. Samuelson kicks ass.

Agreed - but if the players in Montana aren't good enough to compete.... :?:
Of course - the issue the last few years is that the really good in-state players haven't stayed in-state. Huestis went to Stanford, Tinkle went to OSU; Evans and Malatare didn't quite have the academics (I think) and now Evans is going to Florida State.

I will argue with TDC being head coach and the recent runs to the NCAA tourney, the better "in-state" talent may be more likely to stay "in-state" instead of heading out of state.

tourist said:

I can also speak for myself, but I have absolutely no interest in watching a heavily Montana based roster if they aren’t as productive as the other guys. I’m all for recruiting the best and I’m enjoying the brand of basketball that’s being built with a lot of Washington/California kids. We’ve seen the Lady Griz rely heavily on Montana recruiting for decades and the reality is that this state doesn’t produce enough solid talent to really compete. Not in the conference and certainly not nationally. So I’ll hop off my soapbox now, but I’m all for recruiting whoever the heck Travis feels like gives us the best chance to win. I’m want to watch exciting basketball and see wins, and I really don’t care where anyone went to high school.

i do love the griz said:
tourist said:

I can also speak for myself, but I have absolutely no interest in watching a heavily Montana based roster if they aren’t as productive as the other guys. I’m all for recruiting the best and I’m enjoying the brand of basketball that’s being built with a lot of Washington/California kids. We’ve seen the Lady Griz rely heavily on Montana recruiting for decades and the reality is that this state doesn’t produce enough solid talent to really compete. Not in the conference and certainly not nationally. So I’ll hop off my soapbox now, but I’m all for recruiting whoever the heck Travis feels like gives us the best chance to win. I’m want to watch exciting basketball and see wins, and I really don’t care where anyone went to high school.
I feel the same as well.

MissoulaMarinerFan said:
i do love the griz said:
tourist said:

I feel the same as well.

Yup. The Lady Griz are Exhibit A in recruiting mainly Montana kids. For years we were a "Big Sky Power" doing that, only to get our butts kicked on the national stage. Now the blonde bombers aren't even a Big Sky Power.

You wouldn't build an NBA franchise by recruiting only Europeans, so I'm not sure why the Lady Griz try.

tourist said:

I have zero problem watching the Oguines, the Rories, and the Akohs of the world play in Dahlberg. Your position is one of 20-30 years ago.

Back