• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Kyndall Keller commits to Lady Griz

Sounds like a stud player. This was from her sophomore year. Is she only going to be a junior?

https://www.havredailynews.com/story/2018/04/18/sports/havres-kyndall-keller-earns-usa-today-honor/518581.html?m=true

Edited: found out she’s going to be a senior. Was class A MVP last year. Good get!

https://montanasports.com/high-school/2019/03/12/chrishon-dixon-kyndall-keller-earn-state-a-mvp-honors-montanasports-com-releases-all-tournament-teams/

HookedonGriz said:
Sounds like a stud player. This was from her sophomore year. Is she only going to be a junior?

https://www.havredailynews.com/story/2018/04/18/sports/havres-kyndall-keller-earns-usa-today-honor/518581.html?m=true

Edited: found out she’s going to be a senior. Was class A MVP last year. Good get!

https://montanasports.com/high-school/2019/03/12/chrishon-dixon-kyndall-keller-earn-state-a-mvp-honors-montanasports-com-releases-all-tournament-teams/

I agree. She looks like a good one!

maroonandsilver said:
I wonder if she is related to the Malta Lady Griz Keller sisters, Cheryl and Julianne?

I'll answer my own question. Kyndall is the niece of Cheryl and Julianne. Her Dad played at Carroll.

maroonandsilver said:
I wonder if she is related to the Malta Lady Griz Keller sisters, Cheryl and Julianne?

Why yes she is

http://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky-conference/university-of-montana/havre-s-kyndall-keller-commits-to-montana-for-women-s/article_c3189770-c7d7-54ae-aa7d-bc04cb26bbe9.html?utm_content=buffer506ed&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=LEEDCC

I believe this now makes it three verbals for 2020 (Joelnell Momberg and Karsen Murphy are the others).

Just read the article about her commitment and she's legit.

In three years, she has been chosen 3 time all state. Great team player with outstanding skills. Her dad wasn't the only one who played at Carroll, her mother was also a great player there. I can only remember one minor ankle injury in 3 years...so hope the Lady Griz bug doesn't bite.

So between the roster and the incoming recruits, we number by my count eleven players from Montana.

If you live in Montana, and know the players or friends and relatives of the players (which is an easy thing to do among 800,000 or so people) this is a wonderful thing. It's fun to root for people you know. And nothing like Montanans to represent Montana. I've said before, Montana has produced some exceptional female basketball talent over a stretch of many years now, and Jamie Pickens might be one of the best.

But if you live out of state, and retain a keen interest in Montana basketball, you have to wonder, is this a good thing? Or a prescription for mediocrity--especially when that in-state talent is shared with Montana State and other programs outside the state. Could the Men's program compete as it does with a majority of its players from Montana? And if that answer is no, as it most certainly is, you have to wonder why the same doesn't apply to the women.

I say, Good Luck with your program, Shannon. I think you're going to need it.

citay said:
So between the roster and the incoming recruits, we number by my count eleven players from Montana.

If you live in Montana, and know the players or friends and relatives of the players (which is an easy thing to do among 800,000 or so people) this is a wonderful thing. It's fun to root for people you know. And nothing like Montanans to represent Montana. I've said before, Montana has produced some exceptional female basketball talent over a stretch of many years now, and Jamie Pickens might be one of the best.

But if you live out of state, and retain a keen interest in Montana basketball, you have to wonder, is this a good thing? Or a prescription for mediocrity--especially when that in-state talent is shared with Montana State and other programs outside the state. Could the Men's program compete as it does with a majority of its players from Montana? And if that answer is no, as it most certainly is, you have to wonder why the same doesn't apply to the women.

Good post, citay. As a preface: I don't agree or disagree, primarily because I know (and respect) your philosophy about how the "mix" or "mixes" (being vague here) of athletes that develops winning programs (men and women) into winners... I've read your posts over the past several years and they're consistent and logical.

Via most perspectives (which I've taken at times) I agree with you. But "most" hasn't counted for this particular program, because it was built from its foundations by a native Eastern Montana hooper who starred as a Griz point guard of lore (for Jud Heathcote), then stuck around to build the best women's program in Big Sky Conference history... I repeat: history, mainly with Montana natives or players from not too distant locales. It's so simple to prove: count the championship flags in Dahlberg arena! Robin Selvig's loyal assistant coaches were almost always former players, and the best of those "former" players (coach Schweyen) became his lead assistant before she assumed his role as head coach. It is what it is because it was built that way. Simply put, it was a successful formula and coach Schweyen -- stepping into huge sneakers -- hasn't changed things too drastically (despite speeding up the Lady Griz pace of play considerably). Factors have probably demanded that she not change too much (with the highest attendance in the Big Sky, you probably don't want to shake things up too quickly).

A huge irony with your current statement is that just last week coach Schweyen got ripped for "missing out" on the recruitment of two recruits with Montana connections (a senior from Missoula and a senior who is the daughter of a former Lady Griz guard... both deciding to head to Bozeman). Part of the irony is that she STILL filled those scholarships with... you guessed it: Montana athletes. I'll let the irony rest, because it's probably part of the historic reality that great coaches are a tough act to follow and a coach is probably damned regardless of the changes (or lack thereof) she makes.

Without dragging up the circumstances of the past two years under coach Schweyen, here's the simple truth: she probably has only one season (this upcoming season) to turn things around. Success will come (or it won't) with the players currently in this year's program. You, citay, may disagree with the composition of this Montana team, but it's been like this since 1980. Rather than argue with you, I'd suggest you (as a Griz alum) to follow and support this team (a team with a huge weight on its shoulders... one it shares with its coach) for one more season.

Am I ignoring those "mixes?" Sort of. I think it's a quandry that will take time to change, for various reasons. It won't, however, stop me from enthusiastically following this team.

I'll finish with this: I watched EVERY home LG game this past season from the bleachers, and most road games via some kind of stream. With that perspective I am willing to argue that -- until mid January when injuries again blindsided this team -- the LG were on track to finish the season as a top 3-4 team in the Big Sky. I'm also willing to argue that the current makeup of players from: Montana (8), Washington (3), Idaho (2), and Oregon (1) is capable of Big Sky title contention this season.

So, citay, I'm going to outwardly wish coach Schweyn and her assistants... and her mix of tough and talented players a hearty mix of Good Wishes. The only luck they'll need is the luck to (for a change) avoid the injury curse. Otherwise, they've got what it takes to do some damage in the Big Sky this year.

citay said:

Coach Selvig focused on Montana and did great. I know Colter would back me up this but Montana has produced better and more D1 female athletes historically than probably male athletes so it makes sense to recruit here for women’s sports in track & field, basketball, softball, etc.. I find it to be a fine strategy.

citay said:

First of all, you should update your census research. Second, this kind of patronizing is a disservice to an outstanding young lady who has dreamed of playing for the Lady Griz. And, finally, if you really think athletes from places like Havre are mediocre and cannot compete, just remember that the Lady Griz would have been lucky to land someone like Loree Payne (and UW was happy to have her instead).

Save your gripes about the coach for another thread, this one is about congratulating Ms. Keller.

grizzlyjournal said:
citay said:

Good post, citay. As a preface: I don't agree or disagree, primarily because I know (and respect) your philosophy about how the "mix" or "mixes" (being vague here) of athletes that develops winning programs (men and women) into winners... I've read your posts over the past several years and they're consistent and logical.

Via most perspectives (which I've taken at times) I agree with you. But "most" hasn't counted for this particular program, because it was built from its foundations by a native Eastern Montana hooper who starred as a Griz point guard of lore (for Jud Heathcote), then stuck around to build the best women's program in Big Sky Conference history... I repeat: history, mainly with Montana natives or players from not too distant locales. It's so simple to prove: count the championship flags in Dahlberg arena! Robin Selvig's loyal assistant coaches were almost always former players, and the best of those "former" players (coach Schweyen) became his lead assistant before she assumed his role as head coach. It is what it is because it was built that way. Simply put, it was a successful formula and coach Schweyen -- stepping into huge sneakers -- hasn't changed things too drastically (despite speeding up the Lady Griz pace of play considerably). Factors have probably demanded that she not change too much (with the highest attendance in the Big Sky, you probably don't want to shake things up too quickly).

A huge irony with your current statement is that just last week coach Schweyen got ripped for "missing out" on the recruitment of two recruits with Montana connections (a senior from Missoula and a senior who is the daughter of a former Lady Griz guard... both deciding to head to Bozeman). Part of the irony is that she STILL filled those scholarships with... you guessed it: Montana athletes. I'll let the irony rest, because it's probably part of the historic reality that great coaches are a tough act to follow and a coach is probably damned regardless of the changes (or lack thereof) she makes.

Without dragging up the circumstances of the past two years under coach Schweyen, here's the simple truth: she probably has only one season (this upcoming season) to turn things around. Success will come (or it won't) with the players currently in this year's program. You, citay, may disagree with the composition of this Montana team, but it's been like this since 1980. Rather than argue with you, I'd suggest you (as a Griz alum) to follow and support this team (a team with a huge weight on its shoulders... one it shares with its coach) for one more season.

Am I ignoring those "mixes?" Sort of. I think it's a quandry that will take time to change, for various reasons. It won't, however, stop me from enthusiastically following this team.

I'll finish with this: I watched EVERY home LG game this past season from the bleachers, and most road games via some kind of stream. With that perspective I am willing to argue that -- until mid January when injuries again blindsided this team -- the LG were on track to finish the season as a top 3-4 team in the Big Sky. I'm also willing to argue that the current makeup of players from: Montana (8), Washington (3), Idaho (2), and Oregon (1) is capable of Big Sky title contention this season.

So, citay, I'm going to outwardly wish coach Schweyn and her assistants... and her mix of tough and talented players a hearty mix of Good Wishes. The only luck they'll need is the luck to (for a change) avoid the injury curse. Otherwise, they've got what it takes to do some damage in the Big Sky this year.

Thanks for your post, journal. I look forward to them as well.

I'm always pulling for the Lady Griz. In the early days of the program, I had a personal connection to the team, so it was more a matter of love than anything. But it's like seeing a kid taking a whiz in the street: If it's another kid you shake your head and walk away; but if it's your kid, you speak out, angrily. So with the Lady Griz.

Early on, the Lady Griz really had it going. First, a great coach in Selvig, a product of the legendary Montana coaching tree. Second, the signing of the most heralded recruit in the history of the program, Shannon Cate. Shannon played from 1988 to 1992. Of course, by her senior year, she was a Kodak All-American, one of the ten best players in America. That was the year the Lady Griz took down Wisconsin in Madison, and damned near beat Southern Cal with the great Lisa Leslie. I was at that game, in the company of Shannon's Mom, and Shannon put on a show--both on the court, and for the male SC cheerleaders who were over the moon for her.

But remember, these were still the early early days of NCAA Women's basketball. The first tournament had been played in 1981-82. A few schools, namely Texas and Tennessee, dominated those early years, before most of the big schools saw the revenue potential in women's basketball. It was still a time when a school like Montana, with a great x's o's coach and a player of Shannon's caliber, could be on the verge of a building a national reputation. Instead, Montana was content to recruit pretty much within state, and be a "Big Sky power." During the 90's, we won the BIg Sky title nine of ten years. And for a while we continued to compete well against the larger schools in the NCAA tournament. I recall one game where they nearly took down Stanford in Palo Alto or that Texas Tech game where they nearly beat the great Sheryl Swoopes.

Alas, the big schools saw the revenue potential and poured more money into their programs. Soon Montana was still winning the Big Sky, though not as regularly, but getting humiliated by faster quicker teams in the NCAA tournament.

And then finally, Montana was no longer a "Big Sky power." Good? Yes. A threat any year? Sure. The past ten years we've won three titles, but not one the past four years. We're not the dominant program we had been. The other schools had caught up. Now as journal says, our hope for this year is that the Lady Griz "do some damage" in the Big Sky.

Meantime, the Men's team is kicking butt, for reasons obvious to all but the color-blind. DeCuire has brought us into the modern age of basketball, both with his recruiting and his coaching style. I just wish the Lady Griz had kept pace.

My strong sense is that Travis DeCuire is not content to just win the conference championship and make it to the Big Dance. I think he has higher aspirations for the program and that his goal is to win NCAA tournament games.

That's what I want to see with the Lady Griz program as well. I sincerely hope Shannon is thinking in those terms

dayday said:
citay said:

Coach Selvig focused on Montana and did great. I know Colter would back me up this but Montana has produced better and more D1 female athletes historically than probably male athletes so it makes sense to recruit here for women’s sports in track & field, basketball, softball, etc.. I find it to be a fine strategy.

One of the things Robin Selvig did for so many years was keep the top Montana talent home. And often, those players, including Shannon Cate, had talent far superior to the Big Sky Conference.

The shrinking of the world via the internet combined with increased visibility for in-state talent because of traveling club teams has helped some bigger schools find their way to Montana. Imagine if Jill Barta or Jocelyn Tinkle would've stayed in state? And Jamie Pickens might be that next player, the premier talent who could've gone to the Pac 12 or Gonzaga and instead chose to stay in Montana and play for the Lady Griz. It will be interesting to watch.

Per dayday's point, Montana has produced much more Division I caliber female athletes than males at least in the last 20 years. When researching the history of it, it seems that has been the case mostly since Title IX passed.This year alone, there were about 10 Division I female track athletes in Montana.

1) Almost beat Stanford in Missoula (not Palo Alto).

2) Didn't play or give Cheryl Swoopes' Texas Tech a good game. Texas Tech with Swoopes played in regionals in Missoula one year; Lady Griz weren't in it.

3) Decuire brought Griz into big time basketball? Go tell that to Heathcoate (rest his soul), Monty, Morrill, Taylor, Krysko or Tinkle.

Other than those misses your conjecture and opinions sound brilliant Citay!

George Ferguson said:
Thought you Lady Griz guys on here would enjoy this.

https://www.havredailynews.com/story/2019/12/11/sports/blue-blood/526670.html

Thanks George. It is great to read something positive about the Lady Griz program.

George Ferguson said:
Thought you Lady Griz guys on here would enjoy this.

https://www.havredailynews.com/story/2019/12/11/sports/blue-blood/526670.html

Outstanding story, George, and one that reveals a ton about Kyndall, her coach, school and community. Thanks for the link. Love the aside about the Sunday activities that the coach wasn't supposed to know about! Go Knydall. Griz appear to have a legit blue (Pony) chipper. Kids like this (and they haven't all been from Montana) are what have made me such an addicted MontanaWBB fan since the early 1980s. Go Griz.

Latest posts

Back