• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Lady Griz History

citygriz

For those of you too young to remember, or those of you whose facts are hazy (hello Mouse!), I'd urge you go dig into the archives at GoGriz, as I did last night, and take a stroll down memory lane--when the Lady Griz were the Almighty Lady Griz. Here are a few things you'd discover:
1. An article rating the Lady Griz as the #7 women's program in the entire country;
2. Those fabulous media guides, with their wonderfully creative covers;
3. The headlines created by Shannon Cate, especially in her senior year when she was a Kodak All-American;
4. Finally, some facts for the notorious fact-checker Mousegriz, who "corrected" me on another thread thusly:
a. "Almost beat Stanford in Missoula (not Palo Alto)," when I said we almost beat them in Palo Alto;
b. "Didn't play or give Cheryl Swoopes' Texas Tech a good game. Texas Tech with Swoopes played in regionals in Missoula one year; Lady Griz weren't in it," when my memory was that it was a close game.

IN FACT: The Lady Griz played Stanford at least twice back in the 80's and 90's. The game in 1987-88 may well have been played in Missoula, when we lost to Stanford 74-72 in overtime. But later, in the '93-94 season, we lost in Palo Alto 66-62, a game I vividly remember because, well, I was there.
Flash forward to 1996-97, when we played Texas Tech and Sheryl Swoopes, a game I did not see but remembered as being close, and GoGriz confirms the final: Texas Tech 47, Montana 45. Does that suggest we "weren't in it?"

Alas, the big schools saw the potential for revenue in the women's game and expanded their recruiting (even into Montana), the while the Lady Griz recruited from a limited population area, mostly Montana and the rural parts of the Pacific Northwest, and watched the bigger programs almost literally speed past them. To go back to the GoGriz archives is not only to recall the true glory days of Lady Griz basketball, but to speculate on what coulda-shoulda been with this program.

citay said:
For those of you too young to remember, or those of you whose facts are hazy (hello Mouse!), I'd urge you go dig into the archives at GoGriz, as I did last night, and take a stroll down memory lane--when the Lady Griz were the Almighty Lady Griz. Here are a few things you'd discover:
1. An article rating the Lady Griz as the #7 women's program in the entire country;
3. The headlines created by Shannon Cate, especially in her senior year when she was a Kodak All-American;
4. Finally, some facts for the notorious fact-checker Mousegriz, who "corrected" me on another thread thusly:
a. "Almost beat Stanford in Missoula (not Palo Alto)," when I said we almost beat them in Palo Alto;
b. "Didn't play or give Cheryl Swoopes' Texas Tech a good game. Texas Tech with Swoopes played in regionals in Missoula one year; Lady Griz weren't in it," when my memory was that it was a close game.

IN FACT: The Lady Griz played Stanford at least twice back in the 80's and 90's. The game in 1987-88 may well have been played in Missoula, when we lost to Stanford 74-72 in overtime. But later, in the '93-94 season, we lost in Palo Alto 66-62, a game I vividly remember because, well, I was there.
Flash forward to 1996-97, when we played Texas Tech and Sheryl Swoopes, a game I did not see but remembered as being close, and GoGriz confirms the final: Texas Tech 47, Montana 45. Does that suggest we "weren't in it?"

Alas, the big schools saw the potential for revenue in the women's game and expanded their recruiting (even into Montana), the while the Lady Griz recruited from a limited population area, mostly Montana and the rural parts of the Pacific Northwest, and watched the bigger programs almost literally speed past them. To go back to the GoGriz archives is not only to recall the true glory days of Lady Griz basketball, but to speculate on what coulda-shoulda been with this program.

You need to recheck your history. Lady Griz did not play Texas Tech when Sheryl Swoopes was on the Texas Tech team. Sheryl Swoops played for Texas Tech in 1993 when Texas Tech played in Missoula. Lady Griz lost to the Bobcats in 1993 in the Big Sky Tournament (in addition to the last game of the regular season) and thus did not play in the NCAA tournament, and therefore, did not play Texas Tech and Cheryl Swoops. I should know, I was there.

Your lack of knowledge is just appalling. :x

TrueGriz said:
citay said:

You need to recheck your history. Lady Griz did not play Texas Tech when Sheryl Swoopes was on the Texas Tech team. Sheryl Swoops played for Texas Tech in 1993 when Texas Tech played in Missoula. Lady Griz lost to the Bobcats in 1993 in the Big Sky Tournament (in addition to the last game of the regular season) and thus did not play in the NCAA tournament, and therefore, did not play Texas Tech and Cheryl Swoops. I should know, I was there.

Your lack of knowledge is just appalling. :x

I stand corrected! Swoopes was drafted by the WNBA in 1997, so I assumed she'd played the previous year at Texas Tech. Of course, there was no WNBA until 1996, so I was wrong. She was at Texas Tech in 1993.

Does Citay live in the past? Only when it comes to the Lady Griz, where the past is so much sweeter than the present.

But not for the Men's program. Super pumped about what DeCuire is doing--and will do.

citay said:

Lady Griz beat Stanford twice in the 1980's, didn't play vs. Cheryl Swoopes and still not sure why you think Decuire is the first men's coach the Griz have ever had. I did miss the 1994 close loss in Stanford. You must have slept through those early 1980's wins.

Lady Griz and Boise both made top 25 in 1993-1994, Montana got the auto invite and Boise got an at large bid to NCAA's that year. Boise's path since seems not much different than Lady Griz. Why???

Maybe as Title IX took hold and young girls around the country started playing sports at younger ages, the more populated/ethnic areas and "Big Schools" were soon able to find better players in their own backyards!

Mousegriz said:
citay said:

Lady Griz beat Stanford twice in the 1980's, didn't play vs. Cheryl Swoopes and still not sure why you think Decuire is the first men's coach the Griz have ever had. I did miss the 1994 close loss in Stanford. You must have slept through those early 1980's wins.

Lady Griz and Boise both made top 25 in 1993-1994, Montana got the auto invite and Boise got an at large bid to NCAA's that year. Boise's path since seems not much different than Lady Griz. Why???

Maybe as Title IX took hold and young girls around the country started playing sports at younger ages, the more populated/ethnic areas and "Big Schools" were soon able to find better players in their own backyards!

Yo Mouse:
My responses:
--I did miss those two early Lady Griz victories over Stanford--too busy chasing women. So I did not know that in the series record, Montana is 2-2 v. Stanford. Quite impressive. But one note: Those two victories came before Tara Vanderveer took over in 1985. Another note: Her first college coaching gig was at Idaho, and her first victory ever at Idaho was over--drum roll--Northern Montana.
--I already said I as wrong about Sheryl Swoopes, and you've admitted you were wrong about the Stanford game in Palo Alto. So we're even.
--Boise State. I don't give a shit about Boise State. I care only about Montana.
--And, no, I don't think DeCuire is "the first Men's coach the Griz have ever had." But I do think he's the best--and easily the best recruiter we've ever had. Remember, Montgomery never took us to the NCAA tournament. And while Krysko and Tinks both did, please note that neither wants any part of DeCuire, either home or away, in the non-conference schedule--even though a game in Missoula featuring Tres would be something Montana fans would relish, and I'm sure Tres would too. (I can't imagine our athletic department didn't reach out to Tinks.) Tacit testimony from both Krysko and Tinkle to DeCuire's coaching ability.

citay said:
Mousegriz said:
citay said:

Yo Mouse:
My responses:
--I did miss those two early Lady Griz victories over Stanford--too busy chasing women. So I did not know that in the series record, Montana is 2-2 v. Stanford. Quite impressive. But one note: Those two victories came before Tara Vanderveer took over in 1985. Another note: Her first college coaching gig was at Idaho, and her first victory ever at Idaho was over--drum roll--Northern Montana.
--I already said I as wrong about Sheryl Swoopes, and you've admitted you were wrong about the Stanford game in Palo Alto. So we're even.
--Boise State. I don't give a shit about Boise State. I care only about Montana.
--And, no, I don't think DeCuire is "the first Men's coach the Griz have ever had." But I do think he's the best--and easily the best recruiter we've ever had. Remember, Montgomery never took us to the NCAA tournament. And while Krysko and Tinks both did, please note that neither wants any part of DeCuire, either home or away, in the non-conference schedule--even though a game in Missoula featuring Tres would be something Montana fans would relish, and I'm sure Tres would too. (I can't imagine our athletic department didn't reach out to Tinks.) Tacit testimony from both Krysko and Tinkle to DeCuire's coaching ability.

All proves we're both big Griz fans, Citay. I'm "in" on Decuire all the way. Not convinced he's the best-ever yet though. Have seen his recruits perform at pretty high level, hear the incoming frosh are very good (but haven't seen them yet) and enjoy his teams' style of play. Kind of surprised by some of his recruits departing. Anderson, Miller, and kid from TX you thought was a big time recruit are three.

Tinks and Krysko won't play these Griz just like Monty, Morrill, Taylor wouldn't. I've not reviewed the "archives" but to my recollection no former Griz coach (from Monty forward) has ever played home or away vs. Griz. You or PR may have proof to the contrary. Regardless, Decuire not the first Griz coach who's had trouble getting on schedule of one of our former coaches.

Fun to talk hoops in July!

Mousegriz said:
citay said:
Mousegriz said:
citay said:

Yo Mouse:
My responses:

All proves we're both big Griz fans, Citay. I'm "in" on Decuire all the way. Not convinced he's the best-ever yet though. Have seen his recruits perform at pretty high level, hear the incoming frosh are very good (but haven't seen them yet) and enjoy his teams' style of play. Kind of surprised by some of his recruits departing. Anderson, Miller, and kid from TX you thought was a big time recruit are three.

Tinks and Krysko won't play these Griz just like Monty, Morrill, Taylor wouldn't. I've not reviewed the "archives" but to my recollection no former Griz coach (from Monty forward) has ever played home or away vs. Griz. You or PR may have proof to the contrary. Regardless, Decuire not the first Griz coach who's had trouble getting on schedule of one of our former coaches.

Fun to talk hoops in July!

Amen! Fun to talk hoops in July.

Actually, I've got to give Monty some props here. He did play Montana once, in Palo Alto, in the 2003-04 season, a game we won, 70-68. And even though Monty wasn't the coach the next year, when Stanford came to Missoula and got thumped 88-69, it's possible Monty had been responsible for scheduling those games as "home and home" before he left. But I can't be sure of that.

I'm just sorry we couldn't see Tres play once in Missoula during his college career. I'm sure he would have been up for it, and Kendal Manuel would have loved it too. But we all know the reason that did not happen--a two-word answer starting with Travis.

Damn right it's fun to talk basketball in the summer!

Whether it's talking about the history of our great men's and women's programs to players that are committing or transferring to UM, anything can really be worth a good, hearty discussion.

Back