• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Starting 5

cmtgrizzly

With departures and a promising young group coming in I would be interested in everyone’s starting 5 predictions. Just for fun.

I really am not sure beyond Sayeed. Do we start the people who historically have more minutes and starting minutes? So...

Pridgett
Manuel
Falls
Mack
Samuelson or Selcuk

Do some of you who know more about the freshmen think one of them starts? Please predict a full 5 starters and then maybe next 1-2 off the bench. Thanks!

No predictions here, at least not yet given there are seemingly two scholarships yet to be filled. However, Selcuk will not be eligible until December.

GrizWhiz said:
No predictions here, at least not yet given there are seemingly two scholarships yet to be filled.

Highly doubt anyone that might fill those scholarship spots have any impact on next season. TBH, I could see them given to a current walk-on for the year and used in the next recruiting cycle.

grizindabox said:
GrizWhiz said:
No predictions here, at least not yet given there are seemingly two scholarships yet to be filled.

Highly doubt anyone that might fill those scholarship spots have any impact on next season. TBH, I could see them given to a current walk-on for the year and used in the next recruiting cycle.
A JC transfer or grad transfer could have an impact, but time is running out! It is hard to believe that the coaching staff would intentionally go into next season short of scholarship players, especially given that Steadman will not be eligible next season and Selcuk is ineligible until December.

I'll take a stab with zero knowledge.

PG - Egun, Vazquez, Manuel
SG - Manuel, Falls, Brown
SF - Pridgett, Carter-Hollinger, Manuel
PF - Anderson, Samuelson, (Selcuk)
C - Steadman, Samuelson, Anderson

RS - Owens, Jones

Ok here is mine

Falls
Manual
Sayeed
Anderson

after this I don't have a clue, probably Egun as he was a R/S last year.

End of season starters will be different than game one, with different lineups throughout season.

Assuming no new additions or subtractions, my predictions:
Pridgett will be the main guy all season and be given freedom (obvious, I know).
Vazquez will lock down a spot early, and Travis will stick with him during growth.
When focussed, Falls will easily lock down a spot. Other times, Manuel will get the time.
Owens and Carter-Hollinger will get a lot of time off bench. Will start come playoffs.
Anderson will start most games (no chance for redshirt now)
Samuelson will be a steady and solid contributor. Starts early and most games.
Egun off bench and will get time
Selcuk off bench and will get time when eligible
Brown spot time.
The two departing players will be missed for depth and practice.

First game:
Pridgett, Falls, Vazquez, Anderson, Samuelson

BSC Playoffs:
Pridgett, Falls, Vazques, Carter-Hollinger, Owens

fanofzoo said:
Ok here is mine

Falls
Manual
Sayeed
Anderson

That's it. Fifth starter: Samuelson. No way Samuelson doesn't start.

I don't see any of the freshmen starting--at first. But as the season wears on, I see any one of the three freshmen--Egun, Vazquez or Carter-Hollinger--cracking the starting five. I personally hope Owens redshirts. I think he has tremendous upside.

GrizWhiz said:
A JC transfer or grad transfer could have an impact,

I see a JC transfer or grad transfer this late as a person that would have little impact on next season. They could bring in a guy with only a single year of eligibility remaining, so a grad transfer could be a possibility, but don't see a JC guy with more years being an option.

driftwood said:

RS - Owens, Jones

Steadman must sit out this upcoming season

citay said:
fanofzoo said:
Ok here is mine

Falls
Manual
Sayeed
Anderson

That's it. Fifth starter: Samuelson. No way Samuelson doesn't start.

I don't see any of the freshmen starting--at first. But as the season wears on, I see any one of the three freshmen--Egun, Vazquez or Carter-Hollinger--cracking the starting five. I personally hope Owens redshirts. I think he has tremendous upside.

I see the logic, but don't think anyone can electively redshirt without additions at this point. Plus, they won't split up the frosh class, which the staff is extremely high on - like let them start now, grow, play together, and in four years we'll fight for sweet 16 high. Carter-Hollinger is extremely young and because of that, would have been a more likely candidate for a redshirt. They want Anderson to be part of that class, thus Anderson would have been the first desire to redshirt (and with his rawness and high ceiling). Future recruits (like the Aussies) will complement that class.

grizindabox said:
driftwood said:

RS - Owens, Jones

dangit, i knew that too... planted the seed in my head that he was a grad transfer for some reason.

grizindabox said:
driftwood said:

RS - Owens, Jones

Falls
Manuel
Pridgett
Anderson (heavier and stronger)
Samuelson

6th man: Egun

Ideally, as the season goes on, Travis will up the minutes on the freshmen, but he won’t start them right away. They’re all great, but it’s gonna be a process throughout the season. I think Egun is going to be the one player that fans are going to be really surprised with (someone else said this earlier in another thread, so I’m not gonna take 100% credit for this observation. I think it was Allweather or MtGrizrule. I’ll take 64%). He played pretty well in the short time that we saw him-very short time. Had a quick first step, and shot well from outside. I’d look out for him. He practiced with Oguine and Rorie all year, and those are two great guards to emulate!Who knows where Travis will go after that. We’re missing to scholarship players. The freshmen and Yagi will contribute in some way, but Travis will go with those who understand his system first, and slowly add minutes as the season goes on. Definitely more questions and ifs than answers though. Go Griz!

rocklobster said:
grizindabox said:
driftwood said:

RS - Owens, Jones

Falls
Manuel
Pridgett
Samuelson

Ideally, as the season goes on, Travis will up the minutes on the freshmen, but he won’t start them right away. They’re all great, but it’s gonna be a process throughout the season. I think Egun is going to be the one player that fans are going to be really surprised with (someone else said this earlier in another thread, so I’m not gonna take 100% credit for this observation. I think it was Allweather or MtGrizrule. I’ll take 64%). He played pretty well in the short time that we saw him-very short time. Had a quick first step, and shot well from outside. I’d look out for him. He practiced with Oguine and Rorie all year, and those are two great guards to emulate!Who knows where Travis will go after that. We’re missing to scholarship players. The freshmen and Yagi will contribute in some way, but Travis will go with those who understand his system first, and slowly add minutes as the season goes on. Definitely more questions and ifs than answers though. Go Griz!
I think using your logic that you switch Samuelson and Egun.

fanofzoo said:
rocklobster said:
grizindabox said:
driftwood said:

RS - Owens, Jones

Falls
Manuel
Pridgett
Samuelson

Depending on the matchups!, yes! Travis had really great success with three guards at the end of the season last year! Samuelson did play for Travis his freshman year, and is returning, so he has understands what Travis is trying to do; even though he’s a transfer! I like the Egun starting, but we need more size inside, and I think Samuelson adds that.

rocklobster said:
fanofzoo said:
rocklobster said:
grizindabox said:

Falls
Manuel
Pridgett
Samuelson

Depending on the matchups!, yes! Travis had really great success with three guards at the end of the season last year! Samuelson did play for Travis his freshman year, and is returning, so he has understands what Travis is trying to do; even though he’s a transfer! I like the Egun starting, but we need more size inside, and I think Samuelson adds that.

Absolutely. Whats his size, bigger than Mac or about the same?

fanofzoo said:
rocklobster said:
fanofzoo said:
rocklobster said:
Falls
Manuel
Pridgett
Samuelson

Absolutely. Whats his size, bigger than Mac or about the same?

He’s 6’7” or 6’8”! Wasn’t bad inside as a freshman! We still have no big.! Last year we didn’t either though, and generally were out rebounding taller teams! I think it’s that large presence inside that killed us last year! Losing Akoh killed us! Be nice if Travis could get another big JC! I guess we’ll see how the freshman do! Owens is a 6’i” true freshman coming in. He’ll get bigger! If he catches on to Travis system early, he could be the other one!

Appreciate everyone’s thoughts so far. I think our 5 is Anderson. If Samuelson doesnt start he may be used to relieve a forward or Anderson. I dont think he starts at 5. To be honest I dont think TDC will even set the team up in a 1-5 philosophy. We may go too small to really have a 3-5 position. I dont know the freshman from last year very well or the incoming freshman well enough to know their size or abilities. Maybe we can fill out those positions better than I think but would not be surprised at all to see Falls, Manuel and another guard out there with Pridgett and Anderson. Samuelson off the bench. In fact I think this is most likely at least early on. Again I dont know enough about the young guys. As for the third guard? Egun or Brown. At least one of them played a few minutes last year if I remember right. Cant recall which one.

Back