• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Naseem Gaskin Commits!

HookedonGriz

DONOR
Utah transfer who redshirted last year. 3 star out of Oakland. This is what TD was tweeting about the other day!

He’s a 6’4 guard and is a redshirt freshman

https://utahutes.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=7528

HookedonGriz said:
I believe he will have to sit out a year though and will have 3 left.

I won't be surprised, if he's granted eligibility for this season. The NCAA actually has been more flexible the last few years. I'm thinking his redshirt last season will satisfy the NCAA. No need to penalize him another year.

Will have to sit out a year unless he has a hardship (which the NCAA has gotten loose on). Either way looks like a talented player. If Travis is happy, I’m happy!

WaGriz4life said:
Will have to sit out a year unless he has a hardship (which the NCAA has gotten loose on). Either way looks like a talented player. If Travis is happy, I’m happy!

Big time get. One of the sports journalists (demolder) used to cover this kid out of Cali and said he’s an incredible play maker.

Assuming he can play this year, he looks to be a great addition to an already stacked freshman class.

I think the future is bright for Griz Basketball. Welcome to Griz Nation Naseem!

Looks to be a nice get, now keep all this up coming talent together and you should really have something to watch for in the next 3-4 years. 🤞

Jaredkuehn said:
Assuming he can play this year, he looks to be a great addition to an already stacked freshman class.

I think the future is bright for Griz Basketball. Welcome to Griz Nation Nassem!
Even if he does have to sit out one year (like Ahmad Rorie did), huge pickup. We will have a lot of competition at our guard/wing spots

In my book, the addition of Naseem Gaskin solidifies the 2019 class as coach DeCuire's strongest (which is saying something), particularly when redshirt frosh Eddy Egun is counted.

More amazing is that there's still one more open scholarship roster position, by my count.

Since Gaskin's redshirt has already been used, I'm curious regarding the dynamics of his transfer. Technically he sits a year, becoming eligible as a sophmore. I'm hoping there are some scenarios that allow him to play this season.

Of the frosh, only having seen Egun play (he's a dynamo) I'm curious about how or who or if any of these newcomers can contribute this season. If I see any lack of depth, it's probably some combo of the 4-5 rotation.

Nonetheless, this already hints at one of the fastest/quickest lineups I've seen at Montana. Ever. Go Griz.

AZGrizFan said:
I’m curious. If he redshirted LAST year, doesn’t that count as his year of sitting out?

Not for a transfer.

Academic year in residence: Under the basic transfer regulations, you must spend an academic year in residence at the school to which you are transferring. If you transfer from a four-year college to an NCAA school, you must complete one academic year in residence at the new school before you can play for or receive travel expenses from the new school, unless you qualify for a transfer exception or waiver. To satisfy an academic year in residence, you must be enrolled in and successfully complete a full-time program of studies for two-full semesters or three-full quarters. Summer school terms and part-time enrollment do not count toward fulfilling an academic year in residence.

grizindabox said:
AZGrizFan said:
I’m curious. If he redshirted LAST year, doesn’t that count as his year of sitting out?

Not for a transfer.

Academic year in residence: Under the basic transfer regulations, you must spend an academic year in residence at the school to which you are transferring. If you transfer from a four-year college to an NCAA school, you must complete one academic year in residence at the new school before you can play for or receive travel expenses from the new school, unless you qualify for a transfer exception or waiver. To satisfy an academic year in residence, you must be enrolled in and successfully complete a full-time program of studies for two-full semesters or three-full quarters. Summer school terms and part-time enrollment do not count toward fulfilling an academic year in residence.

Thanks, box. That’s pretty clear...hopefully he can get a waiver.

It seems like the NCAA had changed the rule where you had to sit a year after transferring. Isnt that part of what makes the transfer portal popular for players? Sorry too lazy to research and I am sure someone on here knows the answer.

I wonder if Larry K didn't have space for him on the Utah roster this year, and may have been talking to Travis about him transferring here. Probably didn't hurt.

Back