• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Lady Griz - Second Exhibition game vs Carroll

TrueGriz

Lady Griz won 74 - 70 in overtime.

Lady Griz lead by Johnston with 19 points, Harrington with 16 points, Stockholm with 14, and Goligoski with 10 points. Goligoski hit some clutch shots just to keep the Lady Griz in the end near the end of regulation and also had key points in overtime.

Anderson and Pickens both had 10 rebounds.

Madi Schoening suited up the second exhibition game but did not play.

Both Jordan and Shelby Schweyen, and Carmen Gfeller did not play. Shelby did not suit up. Looking they will red shirt this year.

Please tell me Carroll college is insanely legit because it’s somewhat embarrassing to almost lose to them. Sounds like they easily could have. I know they were good last year and Griz still neat them by like 20, correct?

HookedonGriz said:
Please tell me Carroll college is insanely legit because it’s somewhat embarrassing to almost lose to them. Sounds like they easily could have. I know they were good last year and Griz still neat them by like 20, correct?

Watched the game tonight. Carroll is legit. They're currently ranked seventh (7th) in the NAIA Pre-season poll. Like most NAIA teams, they have several deadeye gunslingers who launch semi jump-set, high arcing shots from the far corners of the floor that barely flip the net. Unlike most NAIA teams, they play pretty tough defense. The difference? Post play. Stockholm, Anderson and Pickens pretty effectively controlled the paint. I wouldn't consider it an embarrassment to lose to this team, and I think it's far better to host a quality lower division like this team instead of a team we'd thrash by 35. We'll be able to do some early team comparisons, as the Saints will play MSU in Bozeman on Nov. 11.

grizzlyjournal said:
HookedonGriz said:

Watched the game tonight. Carroll is legit. They're currently ranked seventh (7th) in the NAIA Pre-season poll. Like most NAIA teams, they have several deadeye gunslingers who launch semi jump-set, high arcing shots from the far corners of the floor that barely flip the net. Unlike most NAIA teams, they play pretty tough defense. The difference? Post play. Stockholm, Anderson and Pickens pretty effectively controlled the paint. I wouldn't consider it an embarrassment to lose to this team, and I think it's far better to host a quality lower division like this team instead of a team we'd thrash by 35. We'll be able to do some early team comparisons, as the Saints will play MSU in Bozeman on Nov. 11.

Glad your standards are so high that you are pleased with a OT win over a 7th ranked NAIA team. We controlled the paint against NAIA post players....OH BOY! Maybe get out and play D1 defense against the NAIA "shooters"? If you think NAIA Carroll College plays tough defense, what will happen to your beloved Lady Griz when they actually play a team from the same division, D1....?

The Carroll College women's basketball team opened up their season with a 61-45 loss to the University of Calgary.

Did not watch the game, but followed the updates/stats. FG% looks like an ongoing area for improvement, 55.6% for the 2nd looked great! I bet it was a great game to watch high quality Montana kids work out their pre-season game needs. Looked like Emma had a great game, good stats. Hopefully Goligoski will gain more confidence/consistency (watched this kid play at Hamilton for 4 yrs-- great all around player, can absolutely light up the nets). Fatkin in this game, a little off I guess? Kenzie had a good game, played most of the game, hope she is coached away from past observations/turnovers, forcing plays/shots inside.

TrueGriz said:
Lady Griz won 74 - 70 in overtime.

Lady Griz lead by Johnston with 19 points, Harrington with 16 points, Stockholm with 14, and Goligoski with 10 points. Goligoski hit some clutch shots just to keep the Lady Griz in the end near the end of regulation and also had key points in overtime.

Anderson and Pickens both had 10 rebounds.

Madi Schoening suited up the second exhibition game but did not play.

Both Jordan and Shelby Schweyen, and Carmen Gfeller did not play. Shelby did not suit up. Looking they will red shirt this year.

Jordyn (note spelling!) and Carmen will likely red shirt. I'm not sure why Shelby did not dress out, but my reliable source says she will NOT red shirt. Coaches feel she has been away from playing too long, and don't want her to go another year without playing.

HookedonGriz said:

They are legit...for...an NAIA Team. We have had two bad showings against NAIA team's so far, not good! Carrol won two quarters outright and were even in the fourth. Lady Griz only won one quarter. Carrol Outscored us in the paint and shot better from the perimeter than us. (43% to our 26%) With 50 seconds to go Carrol is up 65-62. If Taylor misses we loose. If the lady Griz miss one free throw during the game or Carrol makes one, we lose!! The efficiency rating for both teams was +6. What does that mean? It means that an NAIA team was the same level as a Division one team. There is only one conclusion that can come from this, either Carrol is really good or we are really bad.

Pathetic and very embarrassing!

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing but expecting Different results. The Lady Griz look the same as they have since Shannon took over. We still can't shoot as a team from the outside(26%) and our defense is lacking. To quote Shannon "Instead it was turnover, turnover, forced shot, forced shot. We've got to be better than that and learn from those things." (Same story different year) Why are our shots forced? It has to do with our offensive scheme, it sucks! How are the girls going to"learn from those things"?? They have to be taught by a competent coach, that's how. We have talented girls but they are not being taught proper fundamentals, Shooting, passing and dribbling. Their footwork on defense is not at the division 1 level. We are still making the same mistakes we were when Shannon took over 3 yrs ago.

Then Shannon does this, "Schweyen cleared out the side for McKenzie Johnston, putting the outcome in the hands of her fifth-year point guard.
And why not? Johnston would finish the night with 19 points, eight assists and seven rebounds. But her late spin dribble into traffic led to a turnover, which led to overtime." (a TURNOVER that's why not)

Kenzie is not a point guard and consistently has problems dribbling in traffic. Put the ball in Sophia's hands(much better choice) and get to the foul line and win the game!!! Nope!!! turnover!

So here is the bottom line. Since we are struggling to beat NAIA teams, how are we ever going to win a Big Sky Championship and get back to the NCAA? When you finish in a draw at the end of regulation it is not a win. In my mind it is a loss. Just before Taylor made her shot to send us to overtime Shannon looked like she was about to ***t herself on the sideline. And for good reason. Can you imagine the spin in the media today if Carrol actually would have won in regulation. Shannon's job is on the line and this game did not help her case. Time for a change!

Grizwald32 said:
HookedonGriz said:

They are legit...for...an NAIA Team. We have had two bad showings against NAIA team's so far, not good! Carrol won two quarters outright and were even in the fourth. Lady Griz only won one quarter. Carrol Outscored us in the paint and shot better from the perimeter than us. (43% to our 26%) With 50 seconds to go Carrol is up 65-62. If Taylor misses we loose. If the lady Griz miss one free throw during the game or Carrol makes one, we lose!! The efficiency rating for both teams was +6. What does that mean? It means that an NAIA team was the same level as a Division one team. There is only one conclusion that can come from this, either Carrol is really good or we are really bad.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing but expecting Different results. The Lady Griz look the same as they have since Shannon took over. We still can't shoot as a team from the outside(26%) and our defense is lacking. To quote Shannon "Instead it was turnover, turnover, forced shot, forced shot. We've got to be better than that and learn from those things." (Same story different year) Why are our shots forced? It has to do with our offensive scheme, it sucks! How are the girls going to"learn from those things"?? They have to be taught by a competent coach, that's how. We have talented girls but they are not being taught proper fundamentals, Shooting, passing and dribbling. Their footwork on defense is not at the division 1 level. We are still making the same mistakes we were when Shannon took over 3 yrs ago.

Then Shannon does this, "Schweyen cleared out the side for McKenzie Johnston, putting the outcome in the hands of her fifth-year point guard.
And why not? Johnston would finish the night with 19 points, eight assists and seven rebounds. But her late spin dribble into traffic led to a turnover, which led to overtime." (a TURNOVER that's why not)

Kenzie is not a point guard and consistently has problems dribbling in traffic. Put the ball in Sophia's hands(much better choice) and get to the foul line and win the game!!! Nope!!! turnover!

So here is the bottom line. Since we are struggling to beat NAIA teams, how are we ever going to win a Big Sky Championship and get back to the NCAA? When you finish in a draw at the end of regulation it is not a win. In my mind it is a loss. Just before Taylor made her shot to send us to overtime Shannon looked like she was about to ***t herself on the sideline. And for good reason. Can you imagine the spin in the media today if Carrol actually would have won in regulation. Shannon's job is on the line and this game did not help her case. Time for a change!
👍

grizzlyjournal said:
HookedonGriz said:

we did not control the paint. We were outscored in the paint.

Grizwald32 said:
HookedonGriz said:

How can you possibly say "It has to do with our offensive scheme"? The Lady Griz clearly do NOT have an 'offensive scheme'.

maroonandsilver said:
Grizwald32 said:
HookedonGriz said:

How can you possibly say "It has to do with our offensive scheme"? The Lady Griz clearly do NOT have an 'offensive scheme'.

You are right. But we do have an offensive scheme, it is just very outdated and old school. It does not work anymore in this league. What worked for Robin will not work now. It is time for a new coach with a new mindset. We need to expand our recruiting if we want to get back to the top of the league. We need a coach with fresh ideas. We need a coach with Good character. We need a coach who can develop players to be the very best they can be. We need a coach who respects and cares for their kids. We need a coach who can actually coach and mentor. Currently we have none of these in our head coach.

I'm a Griz fan. I will always root for our teams, and be sad when they lose. I've been following the Lady Griz since their inception, and have had a close personal friendship with somebody close to the program.

But my issue with them is writ large, almost literally in black and white: Until they succeed in recruiting African-American players, the program is limited in how far it can go.

Big Sky power? Let's hope. But right now coaches see us as the fifth-best team in the conference. And unlike our men's team, which twice played credibly well on a national stage against one of the NCAA's elite basketball programs, the Lady Griz would get embarrassed against one of the nation's elite women's teams, let alone struggle against an NAIA team like Carroll.

I was hoping Shannon's arrival would change that; apparently not. Maybe Nate Covill's presence will help.

But just remember: NO NBA team could compete without black players, nor could any major college basketball or football program. Not even our own football or men's basketball program would attempt it. Only the Lady Griz.

And yes, I know what y'all will say: "Citay, we've heard it all before. Just shut the fukc up."

Sorry. Not my style.

So I while I wish the Blonde Bombers all the best, until they change their recruiting policies, I have to say: My dears, I just don't give a damn.

Grizwald32 said:
grizzlyjournal said:
HookedonGriz said:

I was at the game and what I observed:
• Shot charts, fouls/free throws, rebounds & second chances are the stats that coaches use to grade performance. I liked how Montana's "bigs" played. Those ratings, I believe, will carry over well against Big Sky competition.
• Sophia Stiles started at point, and played point most of the time she was on the floor. Johnston (and Fatkin once or twice) played point when Stiles was off the floor. Johnston handled the ball on most fullcourt transitions.
• Stiles and Johnston (in my book) both played well. Both see the floor very well; I'm glad they're Montana players! Lines: Points -- Johnston 19/Stiles 7; Rebounds -- Johnston 7/Stiles 4; Asst.-to-turnover: Johnston 8-3/ Stiles 2-3; Steals -- Johnston 0/Stiles 2; +/- ; Plus-Minus -- Johnston 8/Stiles 10; Minutes -- Johnston 42:38/Stiles 33:11. My conclusion: Both players scored out very well and will only get better. Stiles (to me) is not in full-game strength because she hasn't played in well over a year.
• Perimeter shooting was (in my opinion) a major factor. Montana shot 26% from the perimeter and I believe that will improve significantly in future games.
• One of Montana's offensive sets last night was, I believe, a close variant to one of Robin Selvig's most successful schemes (can't prove this; I don't talk to coaches). It takes time to learn, but works best with two very mobile guards on the floor (Mandy Morales/Sonya Rogers -- 2005-09!). Johnston, Stiles and Fatkin have the potential to be very successful in this offensive set.
• Having watched Montana women's basketball for nearly 40 years, it's my opinion that the pace of Montana WB is much faster than it's ever been.
• This team has a ton of depth, more than it's had for at least three years. It will take a few games for all the rotation variants to gear up. I like what I'm seeing. Go Griz!

grizzlyjournal said:
Grizwald32 said:
grizzlyjournal said:
HookedonGriz said:

• Shot charts, fouls/free throws, rebounds & second chances are the stats that coaches use to grade performance. I liked how Montana's "bigs" played. Those ratings, I believe, will carry over well against Big Sky competition.
• Sophia Stiles started at point, and played point most of the time she was on the floor. Johnston (and Fatkin once or twice) played point when Stiles was off the floor. Johnston handled the ball on most fullcourt transitions.
• Stiles and Johnston (in my book) both played well. Both see the floor very well; I'm glad they're Montana players! Lines: Points -- Johnston 19/Stiles 7; Rebounds -- Johnston 7/Stiles 4; Asst.-to-turnover: Johnston 8-3/ Stiles 2-3; Steals -- Johnston 0/Stiles 2; +/- ; Plus-Minus -- Johnston 8/Stiles 10; Minutes -- Johnston 42:38/Stiles 33:11. My conclusion: Both players scored out very well and will only get better. Stiles (to me) is not in full-game strength because she hasn't played in well over a year.
• Perimeter shooting was (in my opinion) a major factor. Montana shot 26% from the perimeter and I believe that will improve significantly in future games.
• One of Montana's offensive sets last night was, I believe, a close variant to one of Robin Selvig's most successful schemes (can't prove this; I don't talk to coaches). It takes time to learn, but works best with two very mobile guards on the floor (Mandy Morales/Sonya Rogers -- 2005-09!). Johnston, Stiles and Fatkin have the potential to be very successful in this offensive set.
• Having watched Montana women's basketball for nearly 40 years, it's my opinion that the pace of Montana WB is much faster than it's ever been.
• This team has a ton of depth, more than it's had for at least three years. It will take a few games for all the rotation variants to gear up. I like what I'm seeing. Go Griz!

Just a quick question, What makes you think our outside shooting will Miraculously improve with future games? 4 years in and we have not improved yet.

Some are eternal optimists. Some are eternal pessimists. I think most can figure out which posters are of which category.

citay said:
I'm a Griz fan. I will always root for our teams, and be sad when they lose. I've been following the Lady Griz since their inception, and have had a close personal friendship with somebody close to the program.

But my issue with them is writ large, almost literally in black and white: Until they succeed in recruiting African-American players, the program is limited in how far it can go.

Big Sky power? Let's hope. But right now coaches see us as the fifth-best team in the conference. And unlike our men's team, which twice played credibly well on a national stage against one of the NCAA's elite basketball programs, the Lady Griz would get embarrassed against one of the nation's elite women's teams, let alone struggle against an NAIA team like Carroll.

I was hoping Shannon's arrival would change that; apparently not. Maybe Nate Covill's presence will help.

But just remember: NO NBA team could compete without black players, nor could any major college basketball or football program. Not even our own football or men's basketball program would attempt it. Only the Lady Griz.

And yes, I know what y'all will say: "Citay, we've heard it all before. Just shut the fukc up."

Sorry. Not my style.

So I while I wish the Blonde Bombers all the best, until they change their recruiting policies, I have to say: My dears, I just don't give a damn.

I do agree with you on one point. We need to recruit differently if we are going to compete. However the color of a players skin does not make them better or worse. We should recruit the best kids regardless of color. If that means colored kids then great. But I am not in favor of affirmative action in sports. If it is policy then it needs to be changed. I don't think it is policy though. One way we could change this program over night is go after some JC transfers. We miss the boat on this one. If we keep recruiting our own children we are going to have a tuff go of it. Oh and can you refrain from the term "African-American" ! They are American athletes. I don't think anyone recruits from Africa. If you were born in this country you are an American. Until black people start self identifying as Americans the racist issue will continue.

Please give coach nate a chance to get acclimated
He is a going to help tremendously I have spoken
To him about a few nice players down here in the bay area his energy and knowledge will be very helpful to the lady griz wowens program.

Grizwald32 said:
grizzlyjournal said:
HookedonGriz said:

Agreed, Emma scored most of her points on mid-range jumpers and Abby and Jamie only had a couple points in the paint combined. We barely fed the ball inside, Abby and Jamie need to be fed the ball more inside where they both can contribute great inside play which will open up the outside ball and allow for better drives to the hoop that aren't forced. Also, I don't understand why we did not play Abby in the same lineup as Jamie when Emma got into foul trouble, Kylie is a good player and hustles her a** off on the court but Abby was playing well last night creating offense and playing great defense that Kylie has not developed into her game yet.

grizzlyjournal said:
Grizwald32 said:
grizzlyjournal said:
HookedonGriz said:

Thanks for the report.

Back