• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Lower Box Report....

citygriz

My first look at the Griz this year, and a range of observations, from great to bad to mysterious.

Great: Derrick Carter-Hollinger! Here's a parallel for you: Eric Paschall of the Warriors. How this guy dropped to the late second round I will never know, nor will I know why Carter-Hollinger had so few offers. We got ourselves a steal here. I figured he could rebound at this level and he can, but I was surprised at how well he can shoot, and what nice moves he has around the basket. Also looks like an 80% free throw shooter, which is great, because he'll get to the line a lot.

Also Great: Sayeed Pridgett. So smooth, so versatile, but also ten rebounds against a Pac12 team to go with 17 points and six assists. Stanford double and triple-teamed him all night, yet he still played a beautiful game.

Soon to be Great: The Fab Four. They're everything they were touted to be. Vasquez and Owens seemed tentative at times, but their potential is off the charts. (I do wish Vazquez would look for his shot more. He's got a beautiful stroke.) And don't sleep on Eddie Egun. This kid has game. Throw Carter-Hollinger into this mix, and the future for Montana is klieg-light bright.

The Big Problem: Our bigs--or lack thereof. From the moment you stepped into the arena and watched the warm-ups, one thing jumped out at you: Stanford's size. Reminiscent of what we ran into against Michigan twice at the Big Dance. Save for Carter-Hollinger, our kids looked like high school kids by comparison--and that's what cost us this game. We desperately need an Akoh-type, because at his current weight, Mack Anderson is not the answer--not at the Power Five level. And with no inside game, our kids were forced to live on the perimeter, while Stanford was able to get the ball into the post almost at will for the first ten minutes of the second half, either for a shot or a kick-out for a three. And it's not just on offense that we're weak, but also with rim protection. Our kids battled gamely inside, but it was always a struggle to defend the post. And it's not just height, it's beef, muscle. Anderson had a couple of clear layups but instead of going up strong with a two-hand jam, he tried to score with one hand, and was blocked at least twice. I'm hoping Selcuk and Samuelson can help out here.

Another problem: No Naseem Gaskin. I was hoping against hope he'd just show up, as Manuel did last year, but apparently it's not to be. Can we appeal? We sure could have used him tonight.

The Mystery: Montana fans. At a football game they're loud, rowdy and proud, but put them inside a basketball arena, and you'd think they were at a piano recital for their 12-year-old daughter. Team comes out on the floor to a smattering of applause, while the football team at away games comes out to a roar. Is it the beer? The alcohol? Wish I knew. Wish the basketball team got half the support of the football team.

Another Mystery: Timmy Falls. No bigger fan here of Timmy's than yours truly, especially after watching him during the Michigan game. He's tough, fast, a great defender, and doesn't back down from anybody. No stage is too big for him. And yet tonight was not his night. Twice he fell down with the ball, travelling. One other stupid lazy-dacksical turnover. I'll concede he may have been rusty from the injury-layoff, but I always expect more of him than I saw tonight.

Conclusion: I remain pumped for this team. The Fab Frosh can only get better from here--and here against a Power Five program did not look bad.

So, what's up with these two? "I'm hoping Selcuk and Samuelson can help out here."

Thanks for the nice report. Loved the piano recital joke.

I'm in NYC for the Dartmouth v. Princeton football game in Yankee stadium. Came a week early to get acclimated. Instead, I'm tired out already.

PlayerRep said:
So, what's up with these two? "I'm hoping Selcuk and Samuelson can help out here."

Thanks for the nice report. Loved the piano recital joke.

I'm in NYC for the Dartmouth v. Princeton football game in Yankee stadium. Came a week early to get acclimated. Instead, I'm tired out already.

Samuelson has a knee issue and my understanding should return soon. Selcuk is eligible at semester.

Just a couple of post-mortems:
--We held their poster boy, Daejon Davis, to two points. And that was on a breakaway slam after a careless turnover when the outcome was not in doubt.
--Stanford has several heralded freshmen, but I would not trade them for our Fab Four. Not even close.
--I did not mean to sound critical of Mack Anderson. He's a tremendous athlete, and I am the first to acknowledge that post players take longer to develop. Just that at 207 pounds, he doesn't have the muscle to handle guys bigger and heavier, such as their DaSilva kid who comes in at 225, or Keefe at 220, and certainly not alone. Next year the tandem of Anderson and Steadman will be tough for opponents to deal with.

Here are a few of my own observations, despite only having listened to the game.

We performed incredibly well considering half of our 8 man rotation was playing in their first college basketball game. Discipline and scoring may be an issue early on, but it seems like they have a strong grasp of what they need to do on defense.

Timmy Falls seems a little rusty, which is to be expected coming off of an injury to his shooting hand. Getting more reps will be good for him and I'm confident he will return to the high level of play that we are familiar with.

Considering how much time Anderson and Owens spent on the bench in foul trouble we did a great job of handling their size. The return of Samuelson will help tremendously and the midseason addition of Yaghizan could make our post play an area of strength.

I think overall the game was a confirmation of what we all expected from this season. We have an incredibly talented but young team. The non conference schedule is going to be a necessary challenge to prepare this team for big sky conference play.

Honestly a loss was to be expected. That incredible first half made the abysmal start to the second half harder to accept in the moment, but after reflecting on the situation it makes sense. Young teams are going to have lapses, especially against quality competition. These experiences will prove valuable to the team going forward and the most important takeaway is how they reacted. The moment was never too big for the freshman, and they didnt give up when the lead was insurmountable. This team showed a lot of fight and will be exciting to watch going forward.

I was happy to see the team finish the game strong and make a big dent in the final deficit. That showed great heart.

I watched the game last night. The first half was very encouraging. I was amazed at how well the freshman were playing for their first Collegiate game. The defense was particularly good for this early in the season with how many new faces we have. I love what I saw of the freshman and we are going to be a tough team at the end of the season. Just think of how good we will be when these boys are four-year seniors!

PeauxRouge said:
I watched the game last night. The first half was very encouraging. I was amazed at how well the freshman were playing for their first Collegiate game. The defense was particularly good for this early in the season with how many new faces we have. I love what I saw of the freshman and we are going to be a tough team at the end of the season. Just think of how good we will be when these boys are four-year seniors!

:thumb:

Agree on all counts from everyone. Every team has melt downs during a season, I watched Sparty with Cassius Winston blow up against a lesser BIG 10 opponent last spring pre tourney so I can't get too worked up about it. When everyone gets sound and available and gets more time together they will be fine. We knew what we had the last couple years and it was great but you have to be jacked about watching these young'uns develop.

After watching WA vs. Baylor tonight that game will not be pretty, they are monstrous size and raw talent wise and are using Boeheim's 2-3 zone.

GoldenEagle said:
Good luck tomorrow. MSU North really matches up well with UM. I expect a tight game.

The yearly return of GoldenEagle! Love how he lurks around eGriz early each season with assorted taunts and predictions about how the Eagles are going to dominate... until the Griz dispose of the Eagles in the standings and (in the past two seasons in particularly) in the Big Sky Tourney championship. And then, of course, the Eagle strangely disappears... until the next season tips off.

GE's latest taunt (above) regarding Montana's first home matchup against MSU Northern is hilarious. Particularly since the Eagles' first game this year was vs. (drum roll!!!) Portland Bible College!!! The Eagles won that game 107-25 (whew). I wonder if he figures it'd be better for the Griz to schedule Portland Bible College so that early season comparisons vs. the Eagles could be made.

That said... I do agree with Golden Eagle that scheduling a D1 opponent for a first home game would be a good thing. Montana's home-opener last season was Georgia State, which was a fantastic way for last year's Big Sky Champions... and NCAA qualifying team to start the year. Go Griz.

P.S. I notice Golden Eagle hasn't made any football related taunts on the hoops forum this year. Hmmm.

AllWeatherFan said:
Northern would beat Portland Bible College by 90.

Fact.

You are the most sensitive fans in the BSC. I merely said it would be a tight game and it was.

P.S. If Jacob Davison wasn't injured for the BSC championship last year, the EAGS would have gone to the dance.

GoldenEagle said:
AllWeatherFan said:

Fact.

You are the most sensitive fans in the BSC. I merely said it would be a tight game and it was.

P.S. If Jacob Davison wasn't injured for the BSC championship last year, the EAGS would have gone to the dance.

Bullshit. Your team wasn't all that.

And if Akoh wasn't injured, we would have beat Michigan...

PeauxRouge said:
GoldenEagle said:
AllWeatherFan said:

Fact.

Beat me to it. EWU wouldn't have beaten the GRIZ if Davison and Akoh were each playing. Montana had too much depth and talent.

PeauxRouge said:
GoldenEagle said:
AllWeatherFan said:

Fact.

Delusional.

GoldenEagle said:
PeauxRouge said:
GoldenEagle said:
AllWeatherFan said:

Fact.

Delusional.

You sure are.

GoldenEagle said:
PeauxRouge said:
GoldenEagle said:
AllWeatherFan said:

Fact.

Delusional.

Yes it is delusional to say we would have beat Michigan with Akoh, but it is also ridiculous to say EWU would've beat the Griz for the BSC Championship if Davison and Akoh were both healthy. Or did you mean that if Eastern had all their good players healthy but Montana didn't, Eastern would've won? Then Yes, you make a solid case.

Zirg said:
GoldenEagle said:
PeauxRouge said:
GoldenEagle said:

Delusional.

Yes it is delusional to say we would have beat Michigan with Akoh, but it is also ridiculous to say EWU would've beat the Griz for the BSC Championship if Davison and Akoh were both healthy. Or did you mean that if Eastern had all their good players healthy but Montana didn't, Eastern would've won? Then Yes, you make a solid case.

Honestly, I wish Akoh and Davison would have played and the team moving on to the Dance would have been full strength.

citay said:
Great: Derrick Carter-Hollinger! Here's a parallel for you: Eric Paschall of the Warriors. How this guy dropped to the late second round I will never know, nor will I know why Carter-Hollinger had so few offers. We got ourselves a steal here. I figured he could rebound at this level and he can, but I was surprised at how well he can shoot, and what nice moves he has around the basket. Also looks like an 80% free throw shooter, which is great, because he'll get to the line a lot.

Also Great: Sayeed Pridgett. So smooth, so versatile, but also ten rebounds against a Pac12 team to go with 17 points and six assists. Stanford double and triple-teamed him all night, yet he still played a beautiful game.

The Big Problem: Our bigs--or lack thereof. From the moment you stepped into the arena and watched the warm-ups, one thing jumped out at you: Stanford's size. Reminiscent of what we ran into against Michigan twice at the Big Dance. Save for Carter-Hollinger, our kids looked like high school kids by comparison--and that's what cost us this game. We desperately need an Akoh-type, because at his current weight, Mack Anderson is not the answer--not at the Power Five level. And with no inside game, our kids were forced to live on the perimeter, while Stanford was able to get the ball into the post almost at will for the first ten minutes of the second half, either for a shot or a kick-out for a three. And it's not just on offense that we're weak, but also with rim protection. Our kids battled gamely inside, but it was always a struggle to defend the post. And it's not just height, it's beef, muscle. Anderson had a couple of clear layups but instead of going up strong with a two-hand jam, he tried to score with one hand, and was blocked at least twice. I'm hoping Selcuk and Samuelson can help out here.

Another problem: No Naseem Gaskin. I was hoping against hope he'd just show up, as Manuel did last year, but apparently it's not to be. Can we appeal? We sure could have used him tonight.

Another Mystery: Timmy Falls. No bigger fan here of Timmy's than yours truly, especially after watching him during the Michigan game. He's tough, fast, a great defender, and doesn't back down from anybody. No stage is too big for him. And yet tonight was not his night. Twice he fell down with the ball, travelling. One other stupid lazy-dacksical turnover. I'll concede he may have been rusty from the injury-layoff, but I always expect more of him than I saw tonight.

Great insight as usual. I agree with most of what you said.

The Carter-Hollinger/Eric Paschall comparison might be a bit premature, but I agree I think we got a steal with him.

Pritchett is so silky-smooth and confident. He knows what he can and can't do and pretty-much does what he does well consistently now. He's gonna draw a lot of attention from defenses and he's gonna find guys wide open when he doesn't take it to the hole.

Ours "bigs" are not Power 5 Bigs, but that is business-as-usual for Big Sky teams. I think we'll be able to rebound and defend fine in conference, but you are right. It is the biggest gap when we play Power 5 schools. We can't compete in the paint.

I don't understand all the ramications surrounding Gaskin's eligibility, but he is/will-be a difference maker. I just hope he's here for 4 more years.

I've made my opinion of Timmy Falls known, so I'm not gonna pile-on. He's the biggest wildcard for this team. He could just as easily be a valuable player on this team or flounder. He's shown both extremes in his career. I don't think anybody knows what his season will look like right now.

Back