• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Lady Cats Destroy Carroll

HookedonGriz

DONOR
I posted after we played Carroll, I was a little concerned that our lady Griz let them hang so close and barely beat them. I was told that Carroll is such a great NAIA team and to remember they beat Boise State a while back. Well the Lady Cats just annihilated them 67-33, color me officially worried.

I could be misinterpreting your post, HookedonGriz. But since your headline refers to the Bobcat women hoops team, I'll go there.

The Bobcats return 5 seniors from last season's 5th place Big Sky finishing team and are a consensus Big Sky coaches and media selection to win conference this year.
• Three of those seniors -- Madeline Smith, Oliana Squires and Martha Kuderer played a lot of minutes last year, combining for 79 starts total. This season's fourth senior starter -- Fallyn Freije -- was a two-year Big Sky All Conference starter for North Dakota before transferring to MSU. She is the Big Sky pre-season MVP for this year.
• The lone non-senior starter is Darian White, the 2019 Idaho Gatorade player of the year, from Boise.
• First off the bench for the Cats is junior Tori Martell, who started 18 games last season.
In short, the Cats are a veteran team that goes 6 deep and one that's logged a lot of game time as a unit. It was not much of a surprise to me to see that the Cats pretty easily dispatched UC Davis (NCAA RPI of 72). The Cats, with a RPI of 148, should move upward several notches.

grizzlyjournal said:
I could be misinterpreting your post, HookedonGriz. But since your headline refers to the Bobcat women hoops team, I'll go there.

The Bobcats return 5 seniors from last season's 5th place Big Sky finishing team and are a consensus Big Sky coaches and media selection to win conference this year.
• Three of those seniors -- Madeline Smith, Oliana Squires and Martha Kuderer played a lot of minutes last year, combining for 79 starts total. This season's fourth senior starter -- Fallyn Freije -- was a two-year Big Sky All Conference starter for North Dakota before transferring to MSU. She is the Big Sky pre-season MVP for this year.
• The lone non-senior starter is Darian White, the 2019 Idaho Gatorade player of the year, from Boise.
• First off the bench for the Cats is junior Tori Martell, who started 18 games last season.
In short, the Cats are a veteran team that goes 6 deep and one that's logged a lot of game time as a unit. It was not much of a surprise to me to see that the Cats pretty easily dispatched UC Davis (NCAA RPI of 72). The Cats, with a RPI of 148, should move upward several notches.

I pointed to this game because it is at least one common opponent so far for the Lady Griz and Cats. I’ve been hearing how much better the Lady Griz will be this year. If you glean anything from this game, no they will not. They should have beat Carroll by 20. Gonna be a tough season.

grizzlyjournal said:

If about a dozen girls over the last three years had not quit the team we would have more depth as well. I made another observation when the Cats beat UC Davis, There was only one girl on the floor out of both teams that had a knee brace. I watched the Pac 12 woman's team play this last week and not one person had a knee brace on either teams. The point - the injury problem with the Lady Griz is not coincidence. The problems with the Lady Griz stem from their coach at every level. We are in trouble.

moneyball said:
If about a dozen girls over the last three years had not quit the team we would have more depth as well. I made another observation when the Cats beat UC Davis, There was only one girl on the floor out of both teams that had a knee brace. I watched the Beavers and the Ducks woman's team play this last week and not one person had a knee brace on either teams. The point - the injury problem with the Lady Griz is not coincidence. The problems with the Lady Griz stem from their coach at every level. We are in trouble.

I believe a lot of issues can be blamed on Shannon for the past few years. However, no matter what your opinion is of her, I’m not sure how you can blame her for the injuries. That seems like a bit of a stretch.

go96griz said:
moneyball said:
If about a dozen girls over the last three years had not quit the team we would have more depth as well. I made another observation when the Cats beat UC Davis, There was only one girl on the floor out of both teams that had a knee brace. I watched the Beavers and the Ducks woman's team play this last week and not one person had a knee brace on either teams. The point - the injury problem with the Lady Griz is not coincidence. The problems with the Lady Griz stem from their coach at every level. We are in trouble.

I believe a lot of issues can be blamed on Shannon for the past few years. However, no matter what your opinion is of her, I’m not sure how you can blame her for the injuries. That seems like a bit of a stretch.

I won't go into everything I know about how the program is run. There is a direct correlation between strength and condition training and injuries. How you run practice, how you train in the weight room, how you manage the game all play a part. Leg strength. Recruiting players who are already injured or have had a history of injury. So yeah Shannon has a big part in why she can't field a healthy team. It is no wonder that Kenzie has a torn knee - she plays the whole game. The wear and tear on her body is very high. That is absolutely Shannon's fault.

grizzlyjournal said:

Your post details exactly why Hookedon (and myself) are worried.

I've watched enough basketball over the years to understand that you can't really predict how teams will do in future games based on how they did against common opponents. Really good teams occasionally have really bad games, and vice-versa. Not to suggest that the Lady Griz are a "really good team," of course, but I bet they will compete with the lady felines.

Considering the Bobcats are more veteran and have more experience at this time of the season, it certainly didn't surprise me that the outcome was the way it was versus the Lady Griz game against Carroll. Lady Griz are playing more youth and some of the veterans on the team are quite rusty due to a long time of not playing basketball due to injury. And we still do not have a player back that redshirted last year (Madi). But still, it can be quite discerning looking at the 2 outcomes.

grizzlyjournal said:

Blair Braxton would start for many BSC teams so I think the Cats are more than 6 deep even if we don't mention the other really talented Freshmen besides White. This should be fun!!

Walkon79 said:
grizzlyjournal said:

Blair Braxton would start for many BSC teams so I think the Cats are more than 6 deep even if we don't mention the other really talented Freshmen besides White. This should be fun!!

Lady Cats should be pretty good. Top preseason ranking sure seems to fit the "MSU" mold. Just hope their plane doesn't get delayed and bus lost on road trips. And those pesky injuries.....they could turn a preseason national champ into just another team fighting for a playoff position.

maroonandsilver said:
grizzlyjournal said:

Your post details exactly why Hookedon (and myself) are worried.

Heck, I'm not the slightest bit worried. I'm looking forward to the season. I know that Montana has a very tough schedule, but I've long believed a team can get stronger by playing very tough opponents. Of Montana's seven non-conference D1 foes, four are top-100 caliber, the best of which are Arizona (currently ranked 32) and South Dakota (currently ranked 33). Fresno State and Santa Clara are hovering near 100. What's interesting is that the MSU Bobcat women's schedule will be a gauntlet. The Bobcat women will face-off against four top 50 teams in pre-season play: Texas A&M (7th), Gonzaga (23rd), Minnesota (27th) and South Dakota State (37th). Wow. I'm looking forward to seeing how both teams fare. I think it'll be fun.

Back