• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Our Achilles Heel

citygriz

Okay, we have excuses. We are young. (True.) Our kids played at Arkansas, had a long flight home, practised at two in the afternoon, then played a game they should have won with Washington looming, the perfect trap game. (True.) It's all Timmy's fault. (False!)

But let's step back and take a longer look: Our lack of a post presence.

Usually, when we step up to play a Power Five team, the size of the opponent, the quality of their post play, is the big difference. When a Montana Tech steps up to play us, you'd think that would be their problem as well.

But last night, it was not. I don't know who their post player was, but he had enough clever moves down low that he had to be guarded, and he put our kids in foul trouble. I mean, an NAIA team showed up on our home floor with a better post play than we had. That is the atomic and sub-atomic truth of that game last night.

Which is about the only criticism I can level at Travis. In his six-year tenure at Montana, he has recruited one legit post player who panned out, Jamar Akoh. Alphonso Anderson, who just has a big game for Utah State, left the program. Karl Nicholas washed out. Ben Carter and Kelby Kramer were not the answers. In an ideal world, all four of those guys would still be in the program, contributing.

Instead, we're left with Mack Anderson, who as a sophomore at 207 pounds is not yet the answer; Michael Steadman who is not yet eligible; Selcuk who is not yet eligible; and Jared Samuelson who is hurt.

Yes, I know, this is the era of the three-ball; post players are becoming obsolete. But even if you're a team dependent on the three-ball, you need an inside-outside game to set up those treys. Tech had that last night; we did not.

At this point, I think we have too many vulnerabilities to contend. I mean right now, you shut down Pridgett, and you've shut down our offense. Don't think teams don't know this. In addition to the quality of their players, Tech was masterful in its game plan. It's a blueprint others will notice, doubling and tripling Pridgett.

But next year, with a few legit post players, watch out! We gonna be tough. But we have to have that post play.

P.S. Hats off to Tech! They can ball! We forget that the state of Montana has a great legacy of very good high school basketball. For years, Robin Selvig built a winning women's program mainly on Montana talent. There's the fabulous legacy of Native American basketball in the state. And while many Montana kids are deemed too small to play D-1 basketball, nonetheless they're always well coached, as so many of the Montana kids on Tech's roster were last night.

Ironic, finally, that the player who killed us last night was from Tacoma, Travis's hometown.

PlayerRep said:
It would have helped if Anderson had played more than 13 minutes.

Really? Mac has bad hands and terrible footwork. He fouls because he reaches. He gets in foul trouble almost every game. The Tech kids were more physical and just bodied him up. Mac may have peaked last January in the Cat game in Bozeman. He doesn't look like he has improved since last season, and may have regressed. I'm not sure he could start for the Orediggers.

maroonandsilver said:
PlayerRep said:

Really? Mac has bad hands and terrible footwork. He fouls because he reaches. He gets in foul trouble almost every game. The Tech kids were more physical and just bodied him up. Mac may have peaked last January in the Cat game in Bozeman. He doesn't look like he has improved since last season, and may have regressed. I'm not sure he could start for the Orediggers.

Not bad observations if a little hard to swallow. And waiting in the wings Samuelson who's been a perimeter player his whole life.

Kelby Kramer's first three games at Minnesota State. Realize this is D2 and no idea of competition level.....but probably comparable to Tech and/or Northern (??) against whom UM's big guy has not shined.

Rebounds: 18, 7, 14
Blocks: 8, 4, 3

Was surprised to see this kid start a couple big games and look OK while at Montana...then fell off the map. Did coaches see that much more in Anderson?

citay said:
Okay, we have excuses. We are young. (True.) Our kids played at Arkansas, had a long flight home, practised at two in the afternoon, then played a game they should have won with Washington looming, the perfect trap game. (True.) It's all Timmy's fault. (False!)

Usually, when we step up to play a Power Five team, the size of the opponent, the quality of their post play, is the big difference. When a Montana Tech steps up to play us, you'd think that would be their problem as well.

But last night, it was not. I don't know who their post player was, but he had enough clever moves down low that he had to be guarded, and he put our kids in foul trouble. I mean, an NAIA team showed up on our home floor with a better post play than we had. That is the atomic and sub-atomic truth of that game last night.

Which is about the only criticism I can level at Travis. In his six-year tenure at Montana, he has recruited one legit post player who panned out, Jamar Akoh. Alphonso Anderson, who just has a big game for Utah State, left the program. Karl Nicholas washed out. Ben Carter and Kelby Kramer were not the answers. In an ideal world, all four of those guys would still be in the program, contributing.

Instead, we're left with Mack Anderson, who as a sophomore at 207 pounds is not yet the answer; Michael Steadman who is not yet eligible; Selcuk who is not yet eligible; and Jared Samuelson who is hurt.

Yes, I know, this is the era of the three-ball; post players are becoming obsolete. But even if you're a team dependent on the three-ball, you need an inside-outside game to set up those treys. Tech had that last night; we did not.

At this point, I think we have too many vulnerabilities to contend. I mean right now, you shut down Pridgett, and you've shut down our offense. Don't think teams don't know this. In addition to the quality of their players, Tech was masterful in its game plan. It's a blueprint others will notice, doubling and tripling Pridgett.

But next year, with a few legit post players, watch out! We gonna be tough. But we have to have that post play.

P.S. Hats off to Tech! They can ball! We forget that the state of Montana has a great legacy of very good high school basketball. For years, Robin Selvig built a winning women's program mainly on Montana talent. There's the fabulous legacy of Native American basketball in the state. And while many Montana kids are deemed too small to play D-1 basketball, nonetheless they're always well coached, as so many of the Montana kids on Tech's roster were last night.

Ironic, finally, that the player who killed us last night was from Tacoma, Travis's hometown.

Like usual, spot on analysis.

citay said:

[/quote Hat's of to Tech-"Montana, indeed. ]Here are another set of facts/stats: Tech-12/17, 70% are from Montana vs UM-3/15, 20% are from Montana. A good show for 15 total kids from "Montana", the vast majority play for Tech and outplayed, UM/Montana on their own court! Either way "Montana" wins!!

Here are another set of facts/stats: Tech-12/17, 70% are from Montana vs UM-3/15, 20% are from Montana. A good show for 15 total kids from "Montana", the vast majority play for Tech and outplayed, UM/Montana on their own court! Either way "Montana" wins!!

MTbest said:
Here are another set of facts/stats: Tech-12/17, 70% are from Montana vs UM-3/15, 20% are from Montana. A good show for 15 total kids from "Montana", the vast majority play for Tech and outplayed, UM/Montana on their own court! Either way "Montana" wins!!

Samuelson and Manuel both seniors. Next year will be 1/15......but lots of 2, 3 "stars" from CA......talent unlike we've ever seen here at UM.

maroonandsilver said:
PlayerRep said:

Yeah Mac confuses me because he looks very athletic runs the floor well, but he fumbles the ball so much, just butter fingers. He actually gets in decent position a lot but then bumbles the ball and loses his advantage. He's like a receiver who gets open but never gets run after the catch because he can't catch the ball in stride. He gets open down low, ball gets to him, takes extra half second to get a handle on the ball, shot not open anymore.

CleanHOUSE said:
maroonandsilver said:
PlayerRep said:

Yeah Mac confuses me because he looks very athletic runs the floor well, but he fumbles the ball so much, just butter fingers. He actually gets in decent position a lot but then bumbles the ball and loses his advantage. He's like a receiver who gets open but never gets run after the catch because he can't catch the ball in stride. He gets open down low, ball gets to him, takes extra half second to get a handle on the ball, shot not open anymore.

Did he fumble the ball last night? I didn’t notice that.

One positive from the Montana Tech game: Kyle Owens. Ten of ten on free throws. Generally, anybody who can shoot free throws can shoot, period. I look forward to his development.

citay said:
One positive from the Montana Tech game: Kyle Owens. Ten of ten on free throws. Generally, anybody who can shoot free throws can shoot, period. I look forward to his development.

He has a nice free throw stroke too, and he looks completely confident.

I honestly haven't noticed fumbles from Mack. Not saying he doesn't, but he I believe he was ahead of Kelby in that department even last year. I'm not too worried. I think of our freshman, Owens and Derrick are the clear guys who are ready to play now and I think will come along well this year. Seeing him in a few games so far, I kinda wish Vasquez could have red-shirted. He's shooting at less than 25% from the floor overall and has more turnovers than assists. I'm sure some of it is nerves and I hope he comes along. He really needs to relax and shoot confidently, though. He gets open looks but I think it's in his head so much this season that during the last few seconds against tech he didn't even think to find his own shot. He was desparate to get the ball out of his hands and to Pridgett. I just want to see him more confident and a red-shirt year would have been good for that.

citay said:

And only a couple touched the rim, but we don't have anybody that can shoot from what is being asserted. :roll:

PeauxRouge said:
I honestly haven't noticed fumbles from Mack. Not saying he doesn't, but he I believe he was ahead of Kelby in that department even last year. I'm not too worried. I think of our freshman, Owens and Derrick are the clear guys who are ready to play now and I think will come along well this year. Seeing him in a few games so far, I kinda wish Vasquez could have red-shirted. He's shooting at less than 25% from the floor overall and has more turnovers than assists. I'm sure some of it is nerves and I hope he comes along. He really needs to relax and shoot confidently, though. He gets open looks but I think it's in his head so much this season that during the last few seconds against tech he didn't even think to find his own shot. He was desparate to get the ball out of his hands and to Pridgett. I just want to see him more confident and a red-shirt year would have been good for that.

I have, but it's more that he needs to not be so tentative and be strong with the rock when he gets it. Same with Vasquez, I can sort of understand him deferring to the older guys but he's gotten more tentative by the day. He looked fine in the scrimmage but against Tech he hardly looked at the hoop, can't even remember him shooting. He's at least got to make himself a threat, he's got a nice stroke and he needs to go to the hoop once in a while as well. Growing pains. Just watched the ESPN film on the Duke class with Bilas, Dawkins, Amaker in the 80's who were highly touted but got rolled bad their first couple years and boosters wanted the Coach's head. It was a reminder about patience and in that case turned out pretty well. I'd say you are spot about gaining confidence. There is more pressure on a point guard and I'd guess Anderson wants to make a good showing as a Montana kid so hopefully they can relax and just play like they are capable .

I haven’t seen Anderson play this year, so I don’t know if he continues to have difficulty catching the ball. Maybe there are some drills that would help him in practice? Having people repeatedly throwing him the ball from different angles might help? Worth a try.

Back