• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Ladies / Arizona

Cuervohola

DONOR
Griz down 5-16 early, but Pluto is crystal clear, which I have never seen. Hopefully that's a preview of the rest of the season for BB.

citay said:
What's up with Jamie Pickens? Is she hurt? Redshirting? I didn't see her in this game.

Can't redshirt, she's played in 3. I didn't hear anything during the broadcast about any injured players. Coach didn't play the other Freshman, her Daughter.

Cuervohola said:
citay said:
What's up with Jamie Pickens? Is she hurt? Redshirting? I didn't see her in this game.

Can't redshirt, she's played in 3. I didn't hear anything during the broadcast about any injured players. Coach didn't play the other Freshman, her Daughter.

Shannon said in the post game, that Jamie should be ready for the road trip, so I assume it is a relatively minor injury like and ankle sprain.
Shannon's freshman daughter, Shelby, has her 3rd ACL tear. This will be the 4th surgery on that knee, and the knee is bone-on-bone. She is likely done with competitive athletics.

maroonandsilver said:
Cuervohola said:
citay said:

Shannon said in the post game, that Jamie should be ready for the road trip, so I assume it is a relatively minor injury like and ankle sprain.
Shannon's freshman daughter, Shelby, has her 3rd ACL tear. This will be the 4th surgery on that knee, and the knee is bone-on-bone. She is likely done with competitive athletics.

Ouch. I wish nothing but the best for Shelby, I'm still there with 2 bad knees.

AZ was very quick, big and good. I think the LG will learn something from this. I liked seeing some of them take shots they wouldn't normally take, after the game was out of each, which was fairly soon. Anderson made a few nice plays and took some shots.

The AZ point guard, no. 2, is a great player and all-American. Leading scorer in Pac-12. Leading returning scorer in nation from last year. Only 5'6". Scored 44 in her last game against ranked Texas.

77-42, AZ.

A week ago, Arizona beat then #22 ranked Alabama 83-58, in Tuscaloosa. They're good. The only team that's been within 20 points of Arizona so far this season is Santa Clara, Montana's next opponent. The Wildcats are fast, tall, good shooters & play good D. I thought it was a fun game, because -- as PlayerRep wrote above -- the WBGriz will (could? should?) learn from this.

The first quarter alone provided the main reason to play power 5 schools: Montana was nervous and highly intimidated. It took them well into the second quarter to settle into a rhythm. It took a full quarter for Montana to settle down and play their game. For the remainder of the contest, the Griz played a solid floor game and were very effective at penetrating the Wildcat defense on offense. And they got a lot of good, open looks on their offensive sets. The shots still didn't fall, but there were a lot of open takes.

By playing top 25 ranked schools, the men's and women's teams gain the opportunity to sweat out playing against powerful and polished teams... and gradually figure out that, "Hey... we can actually play with them." Today, most of the Griz players who kept shooting (Taylor, Abby, Gabi in particular) started to relax and the shots started finding range. McKenzie & Sophia just seemed to be "pulling up" on their shots just a bit all afternoon. Nonetheless, it takes several pre-season games against powerful teams to figure things out, including simply relaxing and playing the way they know they can.

Both teams have 2-3 more power-teams to face ahead, so it'll be interesting to see how they respond.

Yeah, I agree. Arizona belongs well above where they are ranked. The intimidation factor was huge, resulting in rushed shots, as the Griz shot 24.5% from the field, while they had recorded percentages of 59%, 44% and 42% the previous 3 games.

They had a great 76.5% from the line, so it's not a question of whether they can make shots, they just need to relax. They are playing against other humans, just relax...

Playing against the top 25 is great because they HAVE TO. If they make the tourney, nobody there is a pushover, they need the experience. As far as the Men, Oregon will probably be in the top 10 by the time that game happens.

Cuervohola said:
Yeah, I agree. Arizona belongs well above where they are ranked. The intimidation factor was huge, resulting in rushed shots, as the Griz shot 24.5% from the field, while they had recorded percentages of 59%, 44% and 42% the previous 3 games.

They had a great 76.5% from the line, so it's not a question of whether they can make shots, they just need to relax. They are playing against other humans, just relax...

Playing against the top 25 is great because they HAVE TO. If they make the tourney, nobody there is a pushover, they need the experience. As far as the Men, Oregon will probably be in the top 10 by the time that game happens.

Actually it is a question of if they can shoot. 24.5% game and 25% from 3 land. This is a common theme for several years now. Our offensive scheme and tempo do not favor a high scoring outcome when playing a good team. Our fundamentals are weak.

and what "tourney" are you referring? The NCAA????? Not a chance. The last time the Lady Griz were at the NCAA was by a team that won 26 games and lost to #1 Notre Dame 77-43. The MAJOR difference between that team and the Lady Griz under Shannon...DEFENSE!!! Don't get me wrong, I don't blame the girls. We have some really talented players and are a bunch of great kids. What is missing is a coach who can develop them to be their best. I will say this again, it is not how many points you score but how many you give up. The current mindset of the coaching staff is to try and win games with offense. You can see it when she pulls out her defenders to try and make 3's to win the game. It might work at times if we had kids who were great outside shooters. But we don't. Our track record proves this. Couple this with the fact that our defense is weak and thus the Lady Griz will finish in the middle of the pack. Going to an NCAA under this coach in the future is a pipe dream IMO.

Back