• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Game tonight vs. Coppin State

Of course the Sports section in the Missoulian says were hosting Coppin State on Black Friday. Coppin is a HBCU! Can't make this stuff up.

Big Sage said:
Of course the Sports section in the Missoulian says were hosting Coppin State on Black Friday. Coppin is a HBCU! Can't make this stuff up.

Haha, Im living a few miles from Coppin State, pretty nice campus, to bad Griz aren't playing here. Anyway it will be interesting to see if Griz continue to mature and play with a more focused purpose that indicates they are continuing to build clear roles and team identify. The one danger with a young team is to show flashes, but then fall into a pattern of 1 step forward and 2 steps back and by the end of the season you put together a pretty sub par campaign. We've seen flashes and the finally a mostly complete game last game, the next step is to back up a win with another sturdy performance.
Go Griz

Griz playing well tonight, clearly building of their performance last game. Everyone one is playing well and they look like more talented team and are impose themselves when they turn the dial up.
So I guess the more interesting thing would be to nit pick a little...it would be nice to see them perform a simple entry pass to the post and then have Samualson or Anderson execute a offensive post move. Been a little distracted, but dont think Ive seen that tonight and this team is not overly imposing in the paint. Just worries me that we cant get a few easy buckets from the big guys close to the basket. We've been shooting hot tonight but it would be nice to see a few easy post buckets to supplement hot stretches.

The other thing is that I'm still not sure what Owens offensive game is, not a critique... Im just curious what kind of offensive looks will allow him to contribute the most?

Pretty good all around game 69-62 Griz win. Some great all around play from pretty much all players involved. Egun took a NASTY spill on a rebound. Landed hard on his tailbone. Turned out to be a Flagrant foul. Score made the game look closer than it was. Griz had it up to a 19 point lead two different times. Coppin showed some resolve though in getting the score back down a bit. Coppin is coached by Maryland Terrapin Great Juan Dixon. I loved watching him play during their championship run. Fantastic team. So far hasn't had much coaching success, though.

CleanHOUSE said:
The other thing is that I'm still not sure what Owens offensive game is, not a critique... Im just curious what kind of offensive looks will allow him to contribute the most?

I think, with time, he's going to be able to do just about everything from back to the basket post moves to off the dribble penetration/one on one, to nice outside threes. I think he will be a special player on the offensive end. It's exciting.

PeauxRouge said:
CleanHOUSE said:

I think, with time, he's going to be able to do just about everything from back to the basket post moves to off the dribble penetration/one on one, to nice outside threes. I think he will be a special player on the offensive end. It's exciting.

Yeah I agree, I've seen him take a lot of different looks and thought "well that looks like it could work" but I haven't noticed him seeking out a certain kind of shot or position on the court so Im curious what he is most comfortable with

Got to attend tonight’s game. Looked like a team that’s improving weekly. I think this team could still be pretty special this year. Go Griz!

PeauxRouge said:
CleanHOUSE said:

He seems to be in the non aggression limbo offensively that Vasquez was in a couple games ago. He passed up a few wide open looks tonight and is not being decisive when a lane opens. Too talented offensively to stay in the current funk.

hm.grwn.grizfan said:
Got to attend tonight’s game. Looked like a team that’s improving weekly. I think this team could still be pretty special this year. Go Griz!

Have been at all the games from the scrimmage and they are steadily coming together and learning each others' games. The ball movement was exceptional for good stretches, particularly in the first half. as coach is using a lot of different groups at times continuity isn't all there yet. The D rotations out of double teams gave Coppin fits at times forcing TOs, getting crisper every game. Carter-Hollinger has a feathery touch on floaters near the hoop, most people don't realize how tough that shot is (twice as tough when there is a seven footer in the lane like 35). I'm seeing a lot of progress and expect it to continue all year. By March they should be a tough out for any team in the League.

Have to add that Samuelson doesn't look completely recovered and was laboring getting up court. Timmy got whacked in the right hand and had his wrist taped but came back in. Bricked a couple FTs that looked like he was favoring it, hopefully not too serious.

It was a fun game to watch tonight. Coppin State was athletic and big. Great team win. Sayeed was great as always. A few things stood out to me. Great ball movement and outstanding effort on the boards. Timmy looks like he is getting back to the player we know. But the player that continues to impress me is DJ Carter-Hollinger. He is a guy that can just rebound..long arms, great instincts and great effort. He shoots a high percentage, solid passer and a great defender. He was matched up with a guy tonight that had to be 6-7 inches taller and he was not intimidated. Just solid.

UncleRico said:
It was a fun game to watch tonight. Coppin State was athletic and big. Great team win. Sayeed was great as always. A few things stood out to me. Great ball movement and outstanding effort on the boards. Timmy looks like he is getting back to the player we know. But the player that continues to impress me is DJ Carter-Hollinger. He is a guy that can just rebound..long arms, great instincts and great effort. He shoots a high percentage, solid passer and a great defender. He was matched up with a guy tonight that had to be 6-7 inches taller and he was not intimidated. Just solid.

It's incredible how quick he gets off the floor on the boards and the way he kind of lopes up the floor fools you into overlooking a little bit how explosive he is. Plus how quickly he recovers when he gets a little out of position playing D. He's the kind of guy that can guard anyone on the floor.

Hoops watcher said:
UncleRico said:

It's incredible how quick he gets off the floor on the boards and the way he kind of lopes up the floor fools you into overlooking a little bit how explosive he is. Plus how quickly he recovers when he gets a little out of position playing D. He's the kind of guy that can guard anyone on the floor.
Timmy looked to re-injure his hand/wrist. He may be out again for a time, but I hope not.
Mack Anderson got one rotation in the first half. He got a nice feed which should have resulted in a lay up. The ball was immediately stripped for a turn-over (how many time have we seen this happen?). Mack returned to the bench for the remainder of the game. Mack is not a D-1 player.

Hoops watcher said:
PeauxRouge said:
CleanHOUSE said:

He seems to be in the non aggression limbo offensively that Vasquez was in a couple games ago. He passed up a few wide open looks tonight and is not being decisive when a lane opens. Too talented offensively to stay in the current funk.
I wouldn't call it a funk but freshman...ism. Remember Oginue (sp), he will find his way.

Nice defensive effort by the Griz last night.

Carter-Hollinger was quoted in today’s paper as saying the team is becoming a “family.”

Both of the above give me even greater confidence in this team.

CleanHOUSE said:
Griz playing well tonight, clearly building of their performance last game. Everyone one is playing well and they look like more talented team and are impose themselves when they turn the dial up.
So I guess the more interesting thing would be to nit pick a little...it would be nice to see them perform a simple entry pass to the post and then have Samualson or Anderson execute a offensive post move. Been a little distracted, but dont think Ive seen that tonight and this team is not overly imposing in the paint. Just worries me that we cant get a few easy buckets from the big guys close to the basket. We've been shooting hot tonight but it would be nice to see a few easy post buckets to supplement hot stretches.

I agree with your comments on post play. As we've learned so painfully, Power 5 teams get the top big talent, forcing the mid-majors to rely on "three-ball" offense. Of which one can say, the trey has become the great equalizer in basketball--the reason a small school can upset a Duke, or pull off an upset in the tournament. Or that the Warriors with the Splash Brothers and Durant (who is one helluva three-point shooter) could dominate the NBA for five years.

Still, it would help if we had a solid post presence, because both an inside-out attack and a shifty inside threat would free up our three-point shooters.There was one pass to the post last night when Anderson was perfectly set up to make a move and get a shot, but instead immediately passed the ball out. Other than Pridgett, can our post players execute a drop step? Even the kid from Montana Tech had one, and it was very effective against us.

But beyond that, Carter-Hollinger was great last night. On top of which, I think he's just starting to tap his potential. He still at times looks tentative, especially taking it to the hoop. But his upside is off the charts, and if he were to grow another couple of inches, look out! No mater, he's my candidate for Big Sky Freshman of the Year.

I attended the game. The defense had a few let downs. Turnovers are progressively decreasing. The officiating was inconsistent. 1st half, terrific officiating. Officials let both teams play, very few questionable calls. 2nd half, was a rough one for the officials (that's being kind to them).

The GRIZ were also inconsistent offensively. The 1st half, their best offense of the season. The 2nd half, shooting woes returned, as did a couple careless turnovers. Pridgett and Manuel with great games. I like it, when Manuel looks to score. He's a great shooter. He doesn't need a lot of room to get his shot off either. This game, he showed he can be a creator for his teammates too. He had some terrific assists. Pridgett did everything, yet again. I hope Travis can figure a way to cut his minutes to about 32 minutes per game, without sacrificing too much. He playing a lot of minutes. Fortunately, so far, he looks like he is handling the minutes well. Carter Hollinger, Vasquez, and Falls all need to do their roles well to get Pridgett more rest.

Speaking of which, DCH appears to be the 1st Freshman to be finding a consistent and dependable key role on this team. The dude is a consistent mid range and inside scorer, despite being shorter. He is solid on defense, and starting to show, he can guard all 5 positions, if needed. He has a nose for the ball on the boards, which cannot be coached. He's a natural rebounder. Vasquez is becoming a consistent threat from the perimeter. He needs to be a more willing shooter though. He turned down a handful of open shots, or shot them later. Travis outright told him, "Pull the trigger". Right now, his shooting is more of an asset to this team, than him being a creator/assist man. At this level, he has to trust himself to take the ball to the hole, to create for his teammates. I hope he learns from Pridgett, Manuel, and Falls in that aspect of his game.

Speaking of Falls, he looked very confident in the 1st half. He was scoring and penetrating with ease. Things were looking really good for him. Unfortunately, he reaggravated his hand/wrist/thumb injury. After taping it up, he was handling the ball all right, but really couldn't get the right feel to be an offensive threat. I hope, this doesn't nag him all season. We need his defense and ball handling. If faced with the choice to sit him to get healthy, or playing him with a nagging injury, I hope we rest him to get healthy. All that counts in this conference is conference play.

It is great to see Samuelson progressively get more minutes. He is still a little rusty though, from the injury. His offense isn't yet there. Defensively and rebounding, he is starting to look comfortable. With time, the GRIZ will be needing him to be a consistent scoring threat.

Kyle Owens- it's his turn to be the struggling Freshman. His perimeter shooting isn't there yet. It's to the point, where he turns down open shots, or isn't ready to shoot. He has to believe in his natural talent, and shoot himself out of a slump, to find his confidence. He's too talented to not find his offense. I'm not sure what is going through his head, but his game has been impacted. I hope to see the GRIZ find some simple looks for him, maybe in the post, or run some perimeter plays for him. He's a solid ball handler, maybe he should look to drive more often. He's is a 3 level scorer. Unfortunately, he seems to be relying too much on open perimeter shots, which aren't falling.

As for Mack Anderson, right now, he's not playing up to his potential. Either he continues to struggle or he progressively finds his game to meet his potential. His potential is that of a solid D1 Big Sky player. I'm not surprised by the struggles and inconsistent play. Again, that is common for young post players at this level. Those writing him off, have patience with him!!!

Onto New Mexico, hopefully with a healthy Falls. If not, I hope Egun takes on the challenge of being a shut down perimeter defender, shooter, and scoring option. He does give the GRIZ a little more size and a more consistent perimeter shot, but he still has to prove himself as a ball handler and scoring threat. Let's play a great game with New Mexico.

Let's hope Yagi can be the post presence to give the team an inside option. It could open things up spacing wise. Another thing to look forward to this year.

fanofzoo said:
Hoops watcher said:
PeauxRouge said:
CleanHOUSE said:

I wouldn't call it a funk but freshman...ism. Remember Oginue (sp), he will find his way.

It's easy to forget how many minutes these guys are playing from the get go. Even Oguine had a limited role as a frosh at the beginning of the year. KO is talented and I have no doubt he will be fine, he just seems to be hitting a little bump in the road. Watching this group grow is going to be fun for me as a fan. Like AWF points out they seem to have fun playing together.

Hoops watcher said:
fanofzoo said:
Hoops watcher said:
PeauxRouge said:

It's easy to forget how many minutes these guys are playing from the get go. Even Oguine had a limited role as a frosh at the beginning of the year. KO is talented and I have no doubt he will be fine, he just seems to be hitting a little bump in the road. Watching this group grow is going to be fun for me as a fan. Like AWF points out they seem to have fun playing together.

Few stops, few TO's, hit the 3 and this group comes alive.

Back