• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Montana WBB notches first road win

grizzlyjournal

The Montana Griz WBB won its first 2019-20 road game, 71-69 over Cal Fullerton in the Fullerton Titan Classic Sunday.

It was a fun game to watch for several reasons, as the Griz played a power game in the paint in the first half, maintained a steady 11-15 point lead through the second quarter, and led 39-28 at halftime. The Titans responded with a tight zone second half defense, made 5-9 second half treys (compared to 2-9 in the first half) and steadly cut into Montana's lead before taking a 3-pt, 64-61 lead with just under 4 minutes remaining.

What often happens when an opponent rallies, the Griz got cautious, despite shooting at a consistent 45-47 percent from the field. The only real problem, however, was at the free throw line, where Montana missed 10 of 16 second-half free throws. The Titans responded by fouling even more (particularly in the paint), including a couple of hard hits on Griz shooters. So, despite going to the FT line for 28 shots, the Griz made only 16.

This time, after losing a late lead, Montana recovered & responded. Sophia Stiles nailed a long trey to tie the game at 64 and then Taylor Goligoski gave Montana the lead for good at 70-69 with a quick-release trey with just over a minute left. Stiles made 1 of 2 free throws with 15 seconds left & the last Titan shot was off-mark.

The good: Montana got solid double-digit minutes from 8-of the 9 rostered players, and all 9 scored. Four players notched double-digits in scoring: Stiles-13, Goligoski -11, McKenzie Johnston - 15, and frosh post Jamie Pickens, who played a powerful first half, at 11. Emma Stockholm scored 8, but notably played an outstanding defensive game against taller players, and had a key steal in the final minute that was instrumental in the win. Eighteen assists to 15 turnovers. An offense that's showing some glimmer. Johnston, Stiles and Goligoski had outstanding floor games.

The bad: Nothing from my perspective. These kids are getting better game by game. It was a fun game to watch.

grizzlyjournal said:
The Montana Griz WBB won its first 2019-20 road game, 71-69 over Cal Fullerton in the Fullerton Titan Classic Sunday.

It was a fun game to watch for several reasons, as the Griz played a power game in the paint in the first half, maintained a steady 11-15 point lead through the second quarter, and led 39-28 at halftime. The Titans responded with a tight zone second half defense, made 5-9 second half treys (compared to 2-9 in the first half) and steadly cut into Montana's lead before taking a 3-pt, 64-61 lead with just under 4 minutes remaining.

What often happens when an opponent rallies, the Griz got cautious, despite shooting at a consistent 45-47 percent from the field. The only real problem, however, was at the free throw line, where Montana missed 10 of 16 second-half free throws. The Titans responded by fouling even more (particularly in the paint), including a couple of hard hits on Griz shooters. So, despite going to the FT line for 28 shots, the Griz made only 16.

This time, after losing a late lead, Montana recovered & responded. Sophia Stiles nailed a long trey to tie the game at 64 and then Taylor Goligoski gave Montana the lead for good at 70-69 with a quick-release trey with just over a minute left. Stiles made 1 of 2 free throws with 15 seconds left & the last Titan shot was off-mark.

The good: Montana got solid double-digit minutes from 8-of the 9 rostered players, and all 9 scored. Four players notched double-digits in scoring: Stiles-13, Goligoski -11, McKenzie Johnston - 15, and frosh post Jamie Pickens, who played a powerful first half, at 11. Emma Stockholm scored 8, but notably played an outstanding defensive game against taller players, and had a key steal in the final minute that was instrumental in the win. Eighteen assists to 15 turnovers. An offense that's showing some glimmer. Johnston, Stiles and Goligoski had outstanding floor games.

The bad: Nothing from my perspective. These kids are getting better game by game. It was a fun game to watch.

since you could not think of anything bad let me do it for you. This was an embarrassing win to say the least. CSUF looked like a high school team and the Lady Griz not much better. This is the worst fundamental team we have faced this year. The NAIA teams were better IMO. CSUF had an RPI last year of 264 out of 351 teams. Yeah we should have won. The fact that we almost lost was embarrassing. We lost the battle of the boards. But hey Sunshine and Rose's right???

moneyball said:
grizzlyjournal said:

since you could not think of anything bad let me do it for you. This was an embarrassing win to say the least. CSUF looked like a high school team and the Lady Griz not much better. This is the worst fundamental team we have faced this year. The NAIA teams were better IMO. CSUF had an RPI last year of 264 out of 351 teams. Yeah we should have won. The fact that we almost lost was embarrassing. We lost the battle of the boards. But hey Sunshine and Rose's right???

You are sort of a Negative Nancy....always.

I see that CSF beat Loyola Marymount and UNLV. Are those teams pathetic this year?

Beat Grand Canyon by 10. Griz beat GC was less than that.

GC beat SU, which beat CSF.

PlayerRep said:
I see that CSF beat Loyola Marymount and UNLV. Are those teams pathetic this year?

GCU - RPI- 342
SU - RPI - 337
UNLV - RPI -204
Utah Valley - RPI - 293
Uh Yah. Pathetic.

grizindabox said:
moneyball said:
grizzlyjournal said:

I get your point. I wish it wasn't so either. The problem with a lot of Lady Griz fan's is that their Loyalty has clouded their Objectivity. I remember not to long ago that the Lady Griz were the ones to beat in the Big Sky. Now they are just trying to keep from bouncing off the bottom. It seems that many have set the bar much lower now and have acquiesced into mediocrity as the norm. I for one believe the Lady Griz can be great again. We need a new coach and Philosophy in order to do that and compete in today's level of woman's Basketball. The Lady Griz are a mediocre team and I just can't stand by and say nothing when I know it is mainly not their fault. Not one of our wins to date have been against a quality team. We will win some games in the Big Sky, But I don't think we will win a championship anytime soon.

moneyball said:
grizindabox said:
moneyball said:
grizzlyjournal said:

I get your point. I wish it wasn't so either. The problem with a lot of Lady Griz fan's is that their Loyalty has clouded their Objectivity. I remember not to long ago that the Lady Griz were the ones to beat in the Big Sky. Now they are just trying to keep from bouncing off the bottom. It seems that many have set the bar much lower now and have acquiesced into mediocrity as the norm. I for one believe the Lady Griz can be great again. We need a new coach and Philosophy in order to do that and compete in today's level of woman's Basketball. The Lady Griz are a mediocre team and I just can't stand by and say nothing when I know it is mainly not their fault. Not one of our wins to date have been against a quality team. We will win some games in the Big Sky, But I don't think we will win a championship anytime soon.

Even so, is it so difficult to just once in awhile say something nice? Those girls are battling every game, and even when they win, you can't wait to post all the negatives.

moneyball said:
grizindabox said:
moneyball said:
grizzlyjournal said:

Even if you are correct, there isn't nothing that can be done about that during the season, or by you. It seems that you could support the team and give them some encouragement from time to time, instead of letting your views of the coach color most of your posts. Or, at times, like after this game, perhaps you could just remain silent.

moneyball said:
PlayerRep said:

GCU - RPI- 342
SU - RPI - 337
UNLV - RPI -204
Utah Valley - RPI - 293
Uh Yah. Pathetic.

I don't agree that these RPI's equal pathetic. These D-I college basketball teams with some good players on them. All of most of these teams have had some good or decent wins.

PlayerRep said:
moneyball said:
PlayerRep said:

GCU - RPI- 342
SU - RPI - 337
UNLV - RPI -204
Utah Valley - RPI - 293
Uh Yah. Pathetic.

I don't agree that these RPI's equal pathetic. These D-I college basketball teams with some good players on them. All of most of these teams have had some good or decent wins.

I guess it just depends on how low you are willing to set the bar.

PlayerRep said:
Moneyball roots for the LG to lose.
Either that or he just keeps cheering for Shannon to get canned so he can cheer for the team again.

I will always cheer for the Lady Griz, win or lose. No matter who their HC is.

MissoulaCanucksFan said:
PlayerRep said:
Either that or he just keeps cheering for Shannon to get canned so he can cheer for the team again.

Count me in with you, MissoulaCanucksFan. I'm a University of Montana alum, supporter and fan of all activities. I'll be at every home game supporting these young student-athletes. Although (a confession here) I did quit attending Montana Griz hoops games for a brief period when Pat Kennedy was coach. :?

grizzlyjournal said:
MissoulaCanucksFan said:
PlayerRep said:

Count me in with you, MissoulaCanucksFan. I'm a University of Montana alum, supporter and fan of all activities. I'll be at every home game supporting these young student-athletes. Although (a confession here) I did quit attending Montana Griz hoops games for a brief period when Pat Kennedy was coach. :?

Glen, I am also an Alum, fan, and supporter. I want these young women to be successful on the court, in school, and in their adult life. I want them to have success in basketball, and for it to be an enjoyable experience. I want them to enjoy their UM experience and become UM graduates. I want them to return to UM after graduation, be part of that legion of Lady Griz alums who come to games and continue to support the present Lady Griz as so many of Selvig's former players have.

So many have left left the program I've lost count. With Fatkin leaving is it a dozen? a baker's dozen? There is an obvious problem, and you seem to be oblivious, or are in denial. I have heard the same stuff that moneyball has put forth. Additionally, it's a major concern to hear that AAU coaches are steering their girls away from Shannon/UM.

Remember when Big Sky basketball was the Lady Griz? They were always the top team. There were always challengers, and the challengers changed from season to season. But the Lady Griz were always at the top, and the team to beat. Are the Lady Griz even in the top half any more? Are they even close to the top team in the State anymore? How can success ever be realized with such constant turn-over?

maroonandsilver said:
grizzlyjournal said:
MissoulaCanucksFan said:
PlayerRep said:

Glen, I am also an Alum, fan, and supporter. I want these young women to be successful on the court, in school, and in their adult life. I want them to have success in basketball, and for it to be an enjoyable experience. I want them to enjoy their UM experience and become UM graduates. I want them to return to UM after graduation, be part of that legion of Lady Griz alums who come to games and continue to support the present Lady Griz as so many of Selvig's former players have.

So many have left left the program I've lost count. With Fatkin leaving is it a dozen? a baker's dozen? There is an obvious problem, and you seem to be oblivious, or are in denial. I have heard the same stuff that moneyball has put forth. Additionally, it's a major concern to hear that AAU coaches are steering their girls away from Shannon/UM.

Remember when Big Sky basketball was the Lady Griz? They were always the top team. There were always challengers, and the challengers changed from season to season. But the Lady Griz were always at the top, and the team to beat. Are the Lady Griz even in the top half any more? Are they even close to the top team in the State anymore? How can success ever be realized with such constant turn-over?

Hey maroonandsilver: My answer is not directed at you personally, but rather is a statement of my personal beliefs. It does not bother me even slightly for you to consider me oblivious or in denial.

I have been around Montana high school and college sports as a teacher, h.s. coach, and a journalist since 1974. I have been friends of many coaches who were fired; as a sports writer, I interviewed literally dozens of coaches who were eventually fired.

What I know about coaches is that they love the sport they coach and the students they coach. Well over 90% are Montana family folk and well more than coaches: They are teachers, surrogate (or substitute) parents, foster parents, disciplinarians, counselors, friends and sometimes bail/bond agents. They love their jobs and love most of their kids, even the ones who are really hard to love. Those coaches who don’t fit the above description (including myself, actually) usually quit the profession and and get an easy job.

I believe this: No one ever knows the complete story about what every coach has to deal with every year. The one who comes closest is the school athletic director because it’s his job. Believe me, that AD job is tough. Over the past three years, Kent Haslam has had to deal with the “transition” of three coaches: Bob Stitt (football), Brian Doyen (volleyball), and Mark Plakorus (soccer). Each situation was unique and in each case, folks like you and me will never hear the complete circumstances (truth, as it were) of the situation.

So, long ago I decided to: A — support the kids first, B — support the coaches, and C — support the AD, especially during times where things get dicey.

I refuse to align myself with any situation where the circulated “information” is potentially based upon innuendo, rumor, gossip, hearsay, prejudice or slander.

grizzlyjournal said:
maroonandsilver said:
grizzlyjournal said:
MissoulaCanucksFan said:

Hey maroonandsilver: My answer is not directed at you personally, but rather is a statement of my personal beliefs. It does not bother me even slightly for you to consider me oblivious or in denial.

I have been around Montana high school and college sports as a teacher, h.s. coach, and a journalist since 1974. I have been friends of many coaches who were fired; as a sports writer, I interviewed literally dozens of coaches who were eventually fired.

What I know about coaches is that they love the sport they coach and the students they coach. Well over 90% are Montana family folk and well more than coaches: They are teachers, surrogate (or substitute) parents, foster parents, disciplinarians, counselors, friends and sometimes bail/bond agents. They love their jobs and love most of their kids, even the ones who are really hard to love. Those coaches who don’t fit the above description (including myself, actually) usually quit the profession and and get an easy job.

I believe this: No one ever knows the complete story about what every coach has to deal with every year. The one who comes closest is the school athletic director because it’s his job. Believe me, that AD job is tough. Over the past three years, Kent Haslam has had to deal with the “transition” of three coaches: Bob Stitt (football), Brian Doyen (volleyball), and Mark Plakorus (soccer). Each situation was unique and in each case, folks like you and me will never hear the complete circumstances (truth, as it were) of the situation.

So, long ago I decided to: A — support the kids first, B — support the coaches, and C — support the AD, especially during times where things get dicey.

I refuse to align myself with any situation where the circulated “information” is potentially based upon innuendo, rumor, gossip, hearsay, prejudice or slander.

Sadly, when rumor and gossip is consistent and heard from numerous, unconnected sources, it often is based on fact. And in this case rumor and gossip are backed by two facts: 1: a plethora (is it 12? 13? women have left the program early; 2: at a time when 3-year contracts are the norm for coaches the AD is comfortable with, Haslam extends only a 1-year deal to Shannon, making it obvious his confidence in her is lacking.
One of the departed Ladies told me, face to face, that "playing for Shannon was the worst experience of my life".

Interesting posts from those of you more in the know than the rest of us. Thanks. I am not sure that the two sides in this thread are really much in disagreement. They are not discussing the exact same issue. Journal is going to support the team and coaches for the most part, no matter what, and is not going to comment on whether the coach should be moved on. Moneyball obviously has good info from some in the program, and has strong feelings on the coach. Moneyball may be correct. Not sure Journal is even saying Moneyball is wrong. Journal just isn't going there.

I tangled with Journal in the past on this topic, as I thought he had his head in the sand and was defending the coach too much by seeming to indicate that he hadn't heard the things Moneyball was saying. Now, I better understand Journal's position better, which is that he just isn't going there, as I said above. As my posting name indicates and I've said in the past, I am more of the Journal type supporting poster. However, I try not to support a player or coach, when I know or think the opposing view is likely correct. I try to stay neutral.

Unless the LG can really get it going, and I haven't given up yet, Haslam is going to have to make a tough decision. I suspect that most other coaches who weren't perhaps the all-time best player at UM and one with a long UM coaching history, wouldn't have even gotten the one-year extension for this season. Losing Fatkin is really not a good sign, in my view.

Again, thanks for the informative, seemingly honest, and well-written posts.

PlayerRep said:
Interesting posts from those of you more in the know than the rest of us. Thanks. I am not sure that the two sides in this thread are really much in disagreement. They are not discussing the exact same issue. Journal is going to support the team and coaches for the most part, no matter what, and is not going to comment on whether the coach should be moved on. Moneyball obviously has good info from some in the program, and has strong feelings on the coach. Moneyball may be correct. Not sure Journal is even saying Moneyball is wrong. Journal just isn't going there.

I tangled with Journal in the past on this topic, as I thought he had his head in the sand and was defending the coach too much by seeming to indicate that he hadn't heard the things Moneyball was saying. Now, I better understand Journal's position better, which is that he just isn't going there, as I said above. As my posting name indicates and I've said in the past, I am more of the Journal type supporting poster. However, I try not to support a player or coach, when I know or think the opposing view is likely correct. I try to stay neutral.

Unless the LG can really get it going, and I haven't given up yet, Haslam is going to have to make a tough decision. I suspect that most other coaches who weren't perhaps the all-time best player at UM and one with a long UM coaching history, wouldn't have even gotten the one-year extension for this season. Losing Fatkin is really not a good sign, in my view.

Again, thanks for the informative, seemingly honest, and well-written posts.

Fair assessment on your part, PlayerRep. And, to maroonandsilver: There's nothing I'd like more to see than Montana women's basketball's return to Big Sky dominance.

What seems ironic to me in the midst of this recent controversy is that the Montana WBB team won its second straight road game with a gutsy, gritty and very successful execution of its game plan... on all levels (players, coaches etc. etc.). Looking at comparative scores vs. the Wolverines, Montana's win looks very good. Instead, a ton of teeth-gnashing, but not a peep regarding a solid road win. :roll:

Back