• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Basketball Attendance

citygriz

I like to divide the modern era into this time line: B.C. (before computers) and A.D. (after digital.)
Two completely different worlds. And critical to understanding basketball attendance.

We keep pining for the old days at Dahlberg. Sorry: That was B.C.

In the A.D. world, brick-and-mortar is getting killed. I know: B.C., I built my wholesale business on brick and mortar customers. Today, those customers are dwindling fast. My big customers now are all e-tail. And no business--not big box, not gyms, not even restaurants (which must make damned sure they have on-line delivery service)--are safe from the digital onslaught.

But remember: Dahlberg is brick-and-mortar. No need to make the effort to get to a game A.D. because there are hundreds of cheaper options at home. Even I am prey to this: I used to drive to every Griz game I possibly could in my area, but now, if the game is on the Pac12 network, I'd almost prefer to watch it on a big screen TV, where I can hear commentary, see replays, and be ten feet from a beer. That option simply was not available B.C. And if I were in Montana during the winter, facing icy roads, sub-freezing temperature and stuff falling from the heavens, I might be well-inclined to stay a home as well.

The antidote?

Of course, a winning team is critical. Star attractions too.

But beyond that, there is something that many brick-and-mortar businesses are talking about and trying to provide: Experiental Retail. Whatever the business, making it an experience that people love, and want to experience again, whatever the details, is the key.

Of course college football, our program included, whether conscious of it or not, has done just that. I don't know how many would show up just to watch a football game. It's the experience that's critical. The tailgating pre-game, the sky divers, the fly-overs, the team coming onto the field, the cannon going off, the marching bands, the incredible crowd noise in the stadium--in short, all the pageantry of the college football experience.

Basketball? It's just impossible to duplicate that football experience. If basketball could figure it out, that would be great. If we could, that would be even better.

My ideas would include: A fabulous player introduction, a la what the pro basketball franchises do. A super-colorful announcer.(We had one back in the day, though I've forgotten his name.) Most of all, star entertainment at halftime. If bands can march on a football field, can't they also on a court? How about local bands, or up-and-coming talent from the music program at Montana. Halftimes are snoozers. Always. Everywhere. The NFL understood that when they created the halftime show for the Super Bowl. On a lesser scale, why can't college basketball programs?

You couldn't do this every game, but every year, for one game, during halftime, I would bring back star players from the past. I've already stated how I think Krysko and Micheal Ray should have their numbers retired. Do it! At halftime! Bring back other star players, let them speak and tell the crowd what it meant to play for Montana. Not only would it strengthen the basketball tradition, you'd put butts in seats. Mine anyway.

C'mon! We've got a lot of talent on this board. Let's come up with some ideas. If ideas can change the world, they can put butts in seats at Dahlberg.

citay said:
I like to divide the modern era into this time line: B.C. (before computers) and A.D. (after digital.)
Two completely different worlds. And critical to understanding basketball attendance.

We keep pining for the old days at Dahlberg. Sorry: That was B.C.

In the A.D. world, brick-and-mortar is getting killed. I know: B.C., I built my wholesale business on brick and mortar customers. Today, those customers are dwindling fast. My big customers now are all e-tail. And no business--not big box, not gyms, not even restaurants (which must make damned sure they have on-line delivery service)--are safe from the digital onslaught.

But remember: Dahlberg is brick-and-mortar. No need to make the effort to get to a game A.D. because there are hundreds of cheaper options at home. Even I am prey to this: I used to drive to every Griz game I possibly could in my area, but now, if the game is on the Pac12 network, I'd almost prefer to watch it on a big screen TV, where I can hear commentary, see replays, and be ten feet from a beer. That option simply was not available B.C. And if I were in Montana during the winter, facing icy roads, sub-freezing temperature and stuff falling from the heavens, I might be well-inclined to stay a home as well.

The antidote?

Of course, a winning team is critical. Star attractions too.

But beyond that, there is something that many brick-and-mortar businesses are talking about and trying to provide: Experiental Retail. Whatever the business, making it an experience that people love, and want to experience again, whatever the details, is the key.

Of course college football, our program included, whether conscious of it or not, has done just that. I don't know how many would show up just to watch a football game. It's the experience that's critical. The tailgating pre-game, the sky divers, the fly-overs, the team coming onto the field, the cannon going off, the marching bands, the incredible crowd noise in the stadium--in short, all the pageantry of the college football experience.

Basketball? It's just impossible to duplicate that football experience. If basketball could figure it out, that would be great. If we could, that would be even better.

My ideas would include: A fabulous player introduction, a la what the pro basketball franchises do. A super-colorful announcer.(We had one back in the day, though I've forgotten his name.) Most of all, star entertainment at halftime. If bands can march on a football field, can't they also on a court? How about local bands, or up-and-coming talent from the music program at Montana. Halftimes are snoozers. Always. Everywhere. The NFL understood that when they created the halftime show for the Super Bowl. On a lesser scale, why can't college basketball programs?

You couldn't do this every game, but every year, for one game, during halftime, I would bring back star players from the past. I've already stated how I think Krysko and Micheal Ray should have their numbers retired. Do it! At halftime! Bring back other star players, let them speak and tell the crowd what it meant to play for Montana. Not only would it strengthen the basketball tradition, you'd put butts in seats. Mine anyway.

C'mon! We've got a lot of talent on this board. Let's come up with some ideas. If ideas can change the world, they can put butts in seats at Dahlberg.
The games at Indiana or Kansas are far more exciting in their "pageantry" than most football games.

To be honest the football at both those schools is and has been atrocious for decades. They probably need the hoopla to forget about fall sports. Plus their role in the game's history.

I agree about social media and a plethora of entertainment options accessible from your couch cutting into attendance. Also posit that the "social justice" bent of many so called trendsetters is eating into support for competition in general because you get losers along with winners and we can't have losers taking hits to their self esteem. Obviously that's pretty rare in the folks that are on here, many of whom played sports at various levels and understand the positives, but I think folks like us are becoming a smaller segment of society all the time. I don't think it's good at all. I heard on the radio last night they only had 38 thou there in the Bay Area for the PAC chipper so I don't think it's just here.

Old Fat Dad ? !

citay said:
A fabulous player introduction, a la what the pro basketball franchises do. A super-colorful announcer.(We had one back in the day, though I've forgotten his name.) Most of all, star entertainment at halftime.
they can put butts in seats at Dahlberg.

Hoops watcher said:
To be honest the football at both those schools is and has been atrocious for decades. They probably need the hoopla to forget about fall sports. Plus their role in the game's history.

I agree about social media and a plethora of entertainment options accessible from your couch cutting into attendance. Also posit that the "social justice" bent of many so called trendsetters is eating into support for competition in general because you get losers along with winners and we can't have losers taking hits to their self esteem. Obviously that's pretty rare in the folks that are on here, many of whom played sports at various levels and understand the positives, but I think folks like us are becoming a smaller segment of society all the time. I don't think it's good at all. I heard on the radio last night they only had 38 thou there in the Bay Area for the PAC chipper so I don't think it's just here.

The San Francisco Giants have one of the best home fields in sports, as do the Lakers, I don't think a few extreme SJW's are contributing to the Griz's attendance problems lol. Lakers and Giants have fans that care. Griz basketball needs more fans that care. To care you need to get emotionally invested, and the way to do that is to get fans to the game and give them an emotional experience. Right now you go to the game an its far from raucous. A small percentage of the fans are living and dying with the Griz. If fans a spares and the group closest to you is having a chill chat and mildly keeping an eye on the game the person next to them is less likely be up an cheering. Fans leave the game and if Griz win..."thats good" if Griz lose "o well it not going to bug me to much/"
You have to give the fans a reason to care, if there is a ton of emotion in the stands its going to hurt to lose and feel great to win and more importantly leave you looking forward to coming back for more.
Its Simple you have to get people to the game. Get students to drive ice cream trucks around playing the Griz fight song and giving out tickets a few hours before game night and funneling people to the game. Advertise the games on TV, put the games on TV and Radio around across MT. My Dad lives in Hotsprings and the Griz are not even on the Radio over there much less the TV and he doesnt have good interent so he gets to watch a few games a year...how many other older folks only get to see a few games a year on TV...How attached can you really expect them to get to the team...ASK UM marking department.
Finally, college BBall can be just a great as football, someone rightly mentioned Kansas and Indiana...have you seen the Cameron Crazies or even how little Saint Mary's gets their place rocking! In fact I think it should be easier to pack a 8k seat basketball arena. Its a short game in doors with music and seats close to the action.
Market this team and find a way to pack the house by any means necessary bus people in whatever, do that for 3-4 games in a row and wins some games and I believe you could quickly see things take off on their own.

1. Media coverage of the freshmen. It is traditional for the media to do a human interest story on the seniors - usually in the last week or two of the season. That should be done when they are freshmen. I spend four or five years watching these kids only to really learn about them when they are at the end of their senior season. Do they have families, what do the parents do, siblings, hobbies, area of study, etc.

2. After spending four or five years watching them, they disappear from the earth. There is virtually never any follow-up on what is happening with their lives. Example: Where are Ahmad, Jamar, Michael? Where is Jordan Gregory - oh, he is a grad assistant. I look at his "full bio" on Gogriz.com and it is blank. Likewise for Anderson Clarke, a men's grad assistant who has a blank "full bio" page - and I think his younger brother is a recruit - come on Athletic Department.

3. So many of the Griz faithful are older and reach an age where they can't navigate the ice mounds in the parking lot. There must be a solution to that, such as preferred parking with a path shoveled through the ice mounds or valet parking.

4. For those of us who are waiting to get out of the field house after games (and who want to chat about the game with our friends), how about putting the post game radio show on the speaker system? I would rather listen to that than listen to the band - the same band that plays so loud that I can't talk with anyone after the game. But, I do like the band's spirit during the game.

5. For the passionate fans, could the stat sheets be available at several locations at halftime and after the game? The cost is nearly zero.

Go Griz - Fight on!

Excellent comments. Let's keep this thread rollin'.

Actually, what we are engaging in right here is the first thing any organization must engage in: Research.

Without research, we're just a bunch of jerks with opinions.

Basketball: Bring Back the Students to the floor level!!! The 6th player--you got it, back in the day they were a force to recon with, located directly across from their players, loud rock'n ready to support their team, bring life back to the house!!

The students only filled the lower East side when the Griz were dominant. As soon as the Griz record dipped, students stopped filling that section and it became the section where the townies who had general admission tickets went. If the students ever over-flow the end zone, I might be convinced, but that doesn't happen except for Griz Cat games. The attendance by the folks willing to pay the big bucks for the lower East side tickets is pretty good - certainly better than the student attendance in the end zone. If we have a need for more student seating, I suggest moving the bank up one level.

717s7e said:
The students only filled the lower East side when the Griz were dominant. As soon as the Griz record dipped, students stopped filling that section and it became the section where the townies who had general admission tickets went. If the students ever over-flow the end zone, I might be convinced, but that doesn't happen except for Griz Cat games. The attendance by the folks willing to pay the big bucks for the lower East side tickets is pretty good - certainly better than the student attendance in the end zone. If we have a need for more student seating, I suggest moving the bank up one level.

Good points, and really I am not sure how much UM has put toward incentives generating student fan opportunities? And I'm sure there are sociologic/demographic/geographic functions too. At any rate the denominator is usually $$$. UM has always been unique in so many ways, for example attendance at Lady Griz games, compared with the schools we compete with, look like ghost gyms! Here is a good read with some research based observations: https://www.samford.edu/sports-analytics/fans/2018/Have-College-Students-Become-Less-Interested-in-College-Basketball

Now that Football is over and the Cats have beat us 4 straight years and their enrollment is roughly 17k vs UM's roughly 11k and their basketball arena seats 8450 vs Dalberg's 7300 should we be worried about them passing us in basketball as well? NCAA data says Griz averaged 4200 last year to 2800 for Cats so we have pretty healthy lead in attendance. Right now I think obviously we are a better program, better coaching recruiting and talent, but if our fan support and the University support for the program remains somewhat tepid, the general momentum that MSU has as university may carry them toward the top of the league.

CleanHOUSE said:
Now that Football is over and the Cats have beat us 4 straight years and their enrollment is roughly 17k vs UM's roughly 11k and their basketball arena seats 8450 vs Dalberg's 7300 should we be worried about them passing us in basketball as well? NCAA data says Griz averaged 4200 last year to 2800 for Cats so we have pretty healthy lead in attendance. Right now I think obviously we are a better program, better coaching recruiting and talent, but if our fan support and the University support for the program remains somewhat tepid, the general momentum that MSU has as university may carry them toward the top of the league.

Being an alumni, a la, Decuire, Sprinkle has energized the Cat faithful and I think you will see a significant jump in their attendance this year. They have a good team and with Sprinkle's Cali connection who knows what their growth could be. When I was in high school the B-BAll team was the draw, not football. You could not get a ticket and Dahlberg was rocking! Would love to see it again.

Back