• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

GrizWBB Aces Second-Straight Road W

grizzlyjournal

So, most of us were watching football on Saturday, and I had a blast and a great upper-deck view of Montana's 73-28 win over SLU in the FCS second round.

About an hour after getting home, I found a digital on-demand link of the Montana @ Utah Valley women's hoops game on the WAC website, which the GrizWBB won, 63-52. Hey! Big Sky Conference! Instant on-demand streaming is a good thing! Check with the WAC and the BIG WEST Confence websites for some tips! Then tell Pluto! It can be done!

The game I saw featured a pugnacious Montana squad absorb an early blow or two from the Wolverines, surge back from a 9-point third quarter deficit and coast to an 11-point win. Outstanding dual Griz high-low post play by Emma Stockholm (11 pts, 6 rbds & 2 assists) and Jamie Pickens (15 pts, 4 rbds and 2 assists) resulted in 6 points from Pickens and 4 from Stockholm in a span of 5 minutes to boost the Griz to a 51-48 lead. First, Stockholm fed Pickens from the hi post for two short jumpers.Then, with UVU defenders double-teaming Pickens, she fed an open Stockholm for two left-key-lane layups.

Add to that a beautiful feed from McKenzie Johnston to Sophia Stiles on a steal & fast break, two perfect inbounds passes for layups by Stiles and Gabi Harrington, and a slant lob pass from Harrington to Johnston on a classic Montana basketball play ... "The Wheel" (first used by Jud Heathcoate) that was perfectly timed, and the Griz coasted. Stiles played point with fire & confidence. Johnston got her usual 8 assists, and Taylor Goligoski scored 10 points on two treys and two jumpers. Five players in double figures. An improving defense. Kylie Frolich played 10 big minutes and Abby Anderson, though off a bit this game, played 19 minutes.

This team gets better game by game, keyed by ever-confident play from Pickens, who no longer looks like a freshman. This team is good news. They deserve recognition. Go Griz.

Back