• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

GRIZ v psu GAMEDAY

According to some pretty intense current debate..... in sports nowadays, PSU ain't a state... it (more/less) "simply ain't." Apparently there's a growing base that believes the school should completely reconfigure its athletic programs because of a growing list of reasons. Number one on the list: drop football and probably drop out of the Big Sky Conf. Here's a column from today's OregonLive (Portland Oregonian) website that gives a bit of a summary of the history of the program. It links to a column from last week that's very critical of the PSU athletic programs... that's worth a read because it indicates a move that would impact the Big Sky (for the better, in my opinion).
https://www.oregonlive.com/sports/2020/01/what-to-do-about-portland-state-football-cutting-the-program-isnt-as-simple-as-it-sounds-issues-answers.html
Here's the link to the earlier oped referred to above: https://www.oregonlive.com/opinion/2020/01/opinion-its-time-for-portland-state-to-punt-on-football.html

Oh, and... apologies for inserting this into a basketball game day thread. I was triggered by whether Portland is or ain't a state. :D

Great post, GJ. I appreciate the information, as I hadn't seen the articles.

I've been saying for years that psu should drop football and focus on BB. I think that's particularly true now that they have a new (legit) venue. They're a fish out of water in the bsc anyway, and have no historical ties to the league.

...if they drop football...
...the griz travel there...
...we lose a home game...

... :shock: ...

EverettGriz said:

I've been saying for years that psu should drop football and focus on BB. I think that's particularly true now that they have a new (legit) venue. They're a fish out of water in the bsc anyway, and have no historical ties to the league.
The article raises several interesting points, but one especially intrigues me: Would the Big Sky kick PSU out if they dropped football? They play all their other sports in the Big Sky, far as I can tell. Given the awkward size of the conference for football, I'd think losing one would be no big deal.

IdaGriz01 said:
EverettGriz said:

The article raises several interesting points, but one especially intrigues me: Would the Big Sky kick PSU out if they dropped football? They play all their other sports in the Big Sky, far as I can tell. Given the awkward size of the conference for football, I'd think losing one would be no big deal.

I'm 99% certain the bsc has a mandate that all member schools participate in football. That said, Binghampton and Hartford are members for golf only, so clearly exceptions have been made. It would seem somewhat logical to keep psu as a member in all sports other than football. However, dropping football and devoting all their resources to BB and the olympic sports would seemingly give psu a clear competitive (financial) advantage in those sports, and that may be a bridge too far for the bsc.

any more recent info on the shoulder of Josh Vazquez ?

NOTES: Montana freshman point guard Josh Vazquez injured a shoulder against Eastern Washington and did not return. An injury designation was not available … The Grizzlies are 25-6 against Portland State all time in Missoula … DJ Carter-Hollinger is coming off a 20-point, 14-rebound, four-block game for Montana, all of which were career highs.

grizzlyjournal said:
According to some pretty intense current debate..... in sports nowadays, PSU ain't a state... it (more/less) "simply ain't." Apparently there's a growing base that believes the school should completely reconfigure its athletic programs because of a growing list of reasons. Number one on the list: drop football and probably drop out of the Big Sky Conf. Here's a column from today's OregonLive (Portland Oregonian) website that gives a bit of a summary of the history of the program. It links to a column from last week that's very critical of the PSU athletic programs... that's worth a read because it indicates a move that would impact the Big Sky (for the better, in my opinion).
https://www.oregonlive.com/sports/2020/01/what-to-do-about-portland-state-football-cutting-the-program-isnt-as-simple-as-it-sounds-issues-answers.html
Here's the link to the earlier oped referred to above: https://www.oregonlive.com/opinion/2020/01/opinion-its-time-for-portland-state-to-punt-on-football.html
Oh, and... apologies for inserting this into a basketball game day thread. I was triggered by whether Portland is or ain't a state. :D

Can we get rid of Sac St. already, every game played there make BSC look laughable...Irony they were actually good this year, I mean have they ever beat UM MSU and EWU all in on season and consecutivly much less! But they need to drop football and go to the Big West were they belong OR and I suspect this is the case, the BSC places a ton of value on having a California footprint, and if thats the case we need to bring San Diego into the Big Sky and move to 12 teams and 2 geographical divisions.

CleanHOUSE said:
grizzlyjournal said:

Can we get rid of Sac St. already, every game played there make BSC look laughable...Irony they were actually good this year, I mean have they ever beat UM MSU and EWU all in on season and consecutivly much less! But they need to drop football and go to the Big West were they belong OR and I suspect this is the case, the BSC places a ton of value on having a California footprint, and if thats the case we need to bring San Diego into the Big Sky and move to 12 teams and 2 geographical divisions.

San Diego has zero intent on joining the BSC

grizindabox said:
CleanHOUSE said:
grizzlyjournal said:

San Diego has zero intent on joining the BSC

Its not up to them, I decided. They will be joining next year, so you can tell them that since you talk to Mr San Diego

Smart scheduling from a conference struggling with attendance, pitting games against the national championship.

#bsc

Mac Anderson had a couple nice plays in a row. First a rebound and a put-back. Then a block on the other end.

Nice to see Vazquez can play tonight. He does have a brace/sleeve contraption on his shoulder and arm to provide support, though.

Back