• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Gregory DUI

https://www.montanasports.com/sports/big-sky-conference/montana-grizzlies/montana-griz-basketball-grad-assistant-arrested-charged-for-alleged-aggravated-dui

By: Kyle Hansen

MISSOULA -- Jordan Gregory, a graduate assistant with the University of Montana's men's basketball team and former Grizzlies' standout player, was arrested early Sunday morning by the Missoula Police Department for allegedly driving under the influence.

The 27-year-old was booked into Missoula County Jail on Sunday at 2:51 a.m. after being arrested and charged with aggravated DUI. He posted a bond of $1,085. Details of the arrest, including where it took place, were not available Monday.

“We are aware of the incident involving Jordan,” UM athletic director Kent Haslam told MTN Sports on Monday. “He is still a graduate assistant with the basketball program, but will not be with them this week when they play at Idaho State and Weber State. What happens beyond that is still to be decided.”

In the state of Montana , an aggravated DUI differs from a DUI when at least one additional factor comes into play. Those factors are as follows:

Alcohol concentration is at least two times the legal limit of .08;
the person is under the order of a court or the department to equip any motor vehicle the person operates with an approved ignition interlock device;
the person's driver's license or privilege to drive is suspended, canceled, or revoked as a result of a prior violation;
the person refuses to provide a breath sample …; or
the person has one prior conviction or pending charge for a violation of vehicular homicide while under the influence, negligent vehicular assault, DUI …”
Gregory joined the Griz this fall as a grad assistant after a four-year pro basketball career overseas. Gregory was a standout player during his time with Montana and was a three-year starter who scored 1,234 career points and went to two NCAA Tournaments as a player with the Grizzlies.

Dang, that’s a tough one. I’ll bee very surprised if he gets to keep his GA role. In the days of Uber and friends willing to help, don’t drive drunk my man.

HookedonGriz said:
Dang, that’s a tough one. I’ll bee very surprised if he gets to keep his GA role. In the days of Uber and friends willing to help, don’t drive drunk my man.

This.

Look, I love JG. But you CANT make such bad decisions, especially with as easy as this one is to avoid, as Hooked points out.

maroonandsilver said:
You don't embarrass Travis. Good by Jordan.

You may be right. However, Gregory is just a GA, and not a coach, and I suppose that could cut either way. I.e. he might be expendable. He's still fairly young. I read Haslam's comments as fairly neutral or even slightly promising. If the arrest was not for a clear dui, and the aggravated part is for not blowing, I suppose the charge may get dropped or plead down. The coach may not care. But it's probably good news for Gregory, as of now, that he's not already terminated. Doesn't look like he's suspended either.

Looks like UM is gathering more facts, and thinking about this. As they should.

It's obviously UM and the coach's decision, but I hope Gregory comes out okay. In this day and age, I guess I am fine either way. Personally, I think we all make mistakes. I am on the forgiving side. Also, believe in gathering all of the facts. Many/some dui's go away. My understanding is that refusal to blow (and I don't have any facts) will almost always lead to an arrest.

EverettGriz said:
HookedonGriz said:

This.

Look, I love JG. But you CANT make such bad decisions, especially with as easy as this one is to avoid, as Hooked points out.

I don't disagree, but at the point, we don't really know what, if any, bad decision was made. Or how bad it was. Is driving after a few drinks, and not blowing, necessarily a bad decision? Or, how bad is it? I will wait to see/hear more facts, but you and Maroon may be right.

PlayerRep said:
maroonandsilver said:

You may be right. However, Gregory is just a GA, and not a coach, and I suppose that could cut either way. I.e. he might be expendable. He's still fairly young. I read Haslam's comments as fairly neutral or even slightly promising. If the arrest was not for a clear dui, and the aggravated part is for not blowing, I suppose the charge may get dropped or plead down. The coach may not care. But it's probably good news for Gregory, as of now, that he's not already terminated. Doesn't look like he's suspended either.

It's obviously UM and the coach's decision, but I hope Gregory comes out okay. In this day and age, I guess I am fine either way. Personally, I think we all make mistakes. I am on the forgiving side. Also, believe in gathering all of the facts. Many/some dui's go away. My understanding is that refusal to blow (and I don't have any facts) will almost always lead to an arrest.

Assuming that this is the case, is it better for a person to blow or not to blow if you are unsure if you can pass?

cclarkblues said:
PlayerRep said:
maroonandsilver said:

Assuming that this is the case, is it better for a person to blow or not to blow if you are unsure if you can pass?

I am not a criminal or dui lawyer, so really don't know. The last time I talked to a dui lawyer, which was a while ago, I was told the following. If someone was okay with losing the driver's license and then fighting to get it back sooner than later (which is not easy), then: don't blow if you think you're close to the line. Because you can fight the charge, with a lawyer, easier if you don't have a blow that is over the line. If you know you are way under, then blowing avoids losing the driver's license. Never asked about blowing if way over. If you don't blow, you lose your license, for a fairly long time. Avoid saying much and don't say anything stupid. Don't act stupid at the station, as you're are being videoed. Don't say or co anything that would be evidence of being drunk. Don't know about the field test. I assume if you refuse, that could lead to immediate arrest. Those tests are pretty hard. Not sure how some people would do one them sober. Think that police can now get a call-in (or something) warrant to force some type of test. Don't know it that's blood test, or blow, or both. Don't know how much that is used. Think the rules change if one has had prior dui's, or at least 2. The blow machine at the station is considered more reliable and less subject to attack in court (as being unreliable). Think the handhelds can be attacked more easily in proceedings, but not necessarily easily.

Take this all with a big bag of salt. I really don't know. Perhaps some others on the board can provide better information, or a link, or point out mistakes. If you want get venture capital, sell your valuable company, or take your company public, let me know. Ha.

PlayerRep said:
cclarkblues said:
PlayerRep said:
maroonandsilver said:

I am not a criminal or dui lawyer, so really don't know. The last time I talked to a dui lawyer, which was a while ago, I was told the following. If someone was okay with losing the driver's license and then fighting to get it back sooner than later (which is not easy), then: don't blow if you think you're close to the line. Because you can fight the charge, with a lawyer, easier if you don't have a blow that is over the line. If you know you are way under, then blowing avoids losing the driver's license. Never asked about blowing if way over. If you don't blow, you lose your license, for a fairly long time. Avoid saying much and don't say anything stupid. Don't act stupid at the station, as you're are being videoed. Don't say or co anything that would be evidence of being drunk. Don't know about the field test. I assume if you refuse, that could lead to immediate arrest. Those tests are pretty hard. Not sure how some people would do one them sober. Think that police can now get a call-in (or something) warrant to force some type of test. Don't know it that's blood test, or blow, or both. Don't know how much that is used. Think the rules change if one has had prior dui's, or at least 2. The blow machine at the station is considered more reliable and less subject to attack in court (as being unreliable). Think the handhelds can be attacked more easily in proceedings, but not necessarily easily.

Take this all with a big bag of salt. I really don't know. Perhaps some others on the board can provide better information, or a link, or point out mistakes. If you want get venture capital, sell your valuable company, or take your company public, let me know. Ha.

Thanks PR. Thankfully it isn't a factor in my life anymore, but Someone was watching out for me when I was younger.

PlayerRep said:
maroonandsilver said:

Agreed. He made a mistake. It's not like he waded into a bar and opened fire. Let him learn from it and move on. No need to destroy his career because of it.

cclarkblues said:
PlayerRep said:
cclarkblues said:
PlayerRep said:

Thanks PR. Thankfully it isn't a factor in my life anymore, but Someone was watching out for me when I was younger.

Amen to that. :oops: :oops:

Then again, in my day the cop would stop you, then just follow you home to make sure you got home alright. Different world today.

AZGrizFan said:
cclarkblues said:
PlayerRep said:
cclarkblues said:

Amen to that. :oops: :oops:

Then again, in my day the cop would stop you, then just follow you home to make sure you got home alright. Different world today.

We were taught respect for the police and told that if we got in trouble we could sit in jail until released. My folks were not going to waste any money on lawyers (No offense PR). Had a couple of cops push my car out of someone's front yard during a blizzard once. I was way too impaired to be driving. Good guys. I can see why they aren't as neighborly now with the chances of being shot.

I hope he learns from this and that it makes him a better coach down the road. Nothing we haven't all done when we shouldn't - I agree that it is serious - hope he pays his dues and keeps his job. He is a great guy.

He is young and made a mistake. Should be consequences but not a career killer in my opinion. That is if he is guilty.

AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:
maroonandsilver said:

Agreed. He made a mistake. It's not like he waded into a bar and opened fire. Let him learn from it and move on. No need to destroy his career because of it.

That's how I look at it.

Many of us over a certain age have gotten behind the wheel when we should not have. My dad was a defense attorney and he told me never to give a breathalyzer test because it was akin to being caught upstanding in front of the dead guy with the smoking gun in your hand!

I am no saint, but I very rarely got behind the wheel while impaired because I was more afraid of what my Father would do as compared to the Police. I'd still be grounded and my Dad died in 1986!! ;)

Yikes. According to KPAX he had a bac of .168. Was hoping the aggravated part was due to not blowing, not being twice the legal limit.

Back