• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Yagizhan Selcuk to Transfer

UMFan12

https://mobile.twitter.com/VerbalCommits/status/1236038146103496704
Saw this coming. Think it was the coaching staff not trusting him enough defensively to play him. Was a good low post scorer.

UMFan12 said:
https://mobile.twitter.com/VerbalCommits/status/1236038146103496704
Saw this coming. Think it was the coaching staff not trusting him enough defensively to play him. Was a good low post scorer.
With Steadman, Henderson, and Mack next year, I don't think he'd see the floor much if he stayed. Hope he finds a program where he sticks and can make a contribution!

I think there was some chemistry issues as well. The games I went to this year he just didn't seem to click with others on the bench. That's me reading into it, too. Best of luck to Yagi. Shame it didn't work out.

I'm not surprised. Based on the little minutes he played, even after showing a solid post game and boards. Plus, we needed a scholarship freed up, with the addition of Henderson. Hope Yagi finds a post friendly program to help out. He looks like a div 1 player to me. As for Henderson, let's not get our hopes too high for seeing him next year. A lot can go wrong with mid season transfers, with the NCAA. With them and foreign players, I don't get too excited for their contributions, until they actually play in their 1st game with the GRIZ. Hope that Henderson will be part of it next year.

Why leave now? One final regular season game, and realistically, no more than 2-3 weeks of basketball

Big Sage said:
Why leave now? One final regular season game, and realistically, no more than 2-3 weeks of basketball
He was dressed for Thursday's game, so while not surprised that he is leaving, I 'm surprised at the timing of the announcement.

Boo this sucks, it must be a chemistry issue as Yagi had traits that were superior to both Anderson and Samuelson, so he should have found playing time. To be clear I don't mean all his traits, he brang more speed and quickness than Samualson and better offense then Anderson, so he had unique skills to contribute, but maybe he was just to much of tweener, as its been Anderson for D and Samualson for O and Owens as the best tweener, so it could be maybe he genuinely had no place to make an impact. As for Henderson, I wouldn't get my hopes e.g. see Yagi lol and the kludge of other failed big men, plus he was at Umass Lowell averaging 5min a game, arguably the BSC is solid step up in competition, I have no expectation for him to make a impact next year. Steadman I have high hopes for, but that admittedly is just because he is not the "Barely Big Man" aka 6'7-6'8 guy we normally get, he looks to be a legit rim protector that doesnt struggle to move athletically.

CleanHOUSE said:
Boo this sucks, it must be a chemistry issue as Yagi had traits that were superior to both Anderson and Samuelson, so he should have found playing time. To be clear I don't mean all his traits, he brang more speed and quickness than Samualson and better offense then Anderson, so he had unique skills to contribute, but maybe he was just to much of tweener, as its been Anderson for D and Samualson for O and Owens as the best tweener, so it could be maybe he genuinely had no place to make an impact. As for Henderson, I wouldn't get my hopes e.g. see Yagi lol and the kludge of other failed big men, plus he was at Umass Lowell averaging 5min a game, arguably the BSC is solid step up in competition, I have no expectation for him to make a impact next year. Steadman I have high hopes for, but that admittedly is just because he is not the "Barely Big Man" aka 6'7-6'8 guy we normally get, he looks to be a legit rim protector that doesnt struggle to move athletically.

Well said. As for Henderson, I'll be pleasantly surprised, if he is eligible next season. One just never knows with these transfers. Regarding Steadman, he will own the conference next season, if he remains healthy. I expect him to have a Wiley (how did we let him get away?) or Bolomboy like impact. He will be a leading contender for league MVP.

mtgrizrule said:
CleanHOUSE said:

Well said. As for Henderson, I'll be pleasantly surprised, if he is eligible next season. One just never knows with these transfers. Regarding Steadman, he will own the conference next season, if he remains healthy. I expect him to have a Wiley (how did we let him get away?) or Bolomboy like impact. He will be a leading contender for league MVP.

Why wouldn't Henderson be eligible after fall semester? He's already here at the U, so one would assume it's the same situation as Yagi, no?

PeauxRouge said:
mtgrizrule said:
CleanHOUSE said:

Why wouldn't Henderson be eligible after fall semester? He's already here at the U, so one would assume it's the same situation as Yagi, no?
Never know how the NCAA can impact mid season transfers. Until I see him on the floor or the GRIZ officially confirm his status, I'll remain skeptical. None of us know all the details to his or other transfers. It's just my skepticism with how the NCAA goes about their processes.

Not surprised that the young man is transferring. Am surprised and disappointed with the timing! As is evidenced tonight we could have used him this week and certainly going into the tournament.

The original Missoulian article had Selcuk's name mis-spelled 2 different ways, before getting it right later in the article. Anyone else catch that?

mtgrizrule said:
PeauxRouge said:
mtgrizrule said:
CleanHOUSE said:

Never know how the NCAA can impact mid season transfers. Until I see him on the floor or the GRIZ officially confirm his status, I'll remain skeptical. None of us know all the details to his or other transfers. It's just my skepticism with how the NCAA goes about their processes.

You keep saying this but I don't think it's nearly as common as you make it out to be. Mid year transfers sometimes have trouble finding a spot in a rotation during the middle of the season but I don't think they have any more eligibility issues than other transfers or new players.

So why did he not make it at UM, or why did he transfer? I had heard good things about him. When he got a bit of playing time, his stats seemed pretty good. We needed more help in the middle? I never say him play. What was his problem(s)?

PlayerRep said:
So why did he not make it at UM, or why did he transfer? I had heard good things about him. When he got a bit of playing time, his stats seemed pretty good. We needed more help in the middle? I never say him play. What was his problem(s)?

He was a Mystery Man. Hardly anyone saw him play. Half his minutes and points were in that one impressive game in Omaha, but then he never got another real chance.

Best of luck to Yagi in Missouri. He should dominate there. I can only imagine that, from what we saw, it was chemistry issues with the team and coaches. Hard to say though.

Back